Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My water smells like rotten eggs. HELP!!

• 16-10-2010 7:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hi my cold tap water in bathroom smells like rotten eggs now the past few months. It's a pretty rancid smell and I can't stand it any more. I have googled it all and it's just confusing.
    I'd there someone that has experiences a similar issue and if so how was it fixed.
    Or better again is there a plumber out there to show the way.

Thanks in advance
      Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I have had something like that before. Plumber thought it was the standing water in the waste pipe. Can happen if a bathroom is used infrequently. Try letting the water run for a minute each day to clear it, and I'd throw some hot water and bleach down there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

the smell maybe coming from the trap, in which case its either because of an adjacent toilet bowl, syphoning the water from the trap, or the water in the trap has evaporated.
      or if its coming from the water, you might take a look at your storage tank in the roof space, just to check that none of the furry ones have fallin in......

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

Does your water come from a well? Could be sulphur or something in it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

The bathroom cold tap will be fed from a storage tank in your attic, and it is that which you need to look at. There could be something in it like a dead bird, mouse, rat or similar, or it could just need a good clean out. Even with a lid, it's surprising how much gunk can collect over a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭THEFRIDGE

Thanks guys I had already cleaned the waste trap with no change and I have checked the tank and there is no furry friends. I guess cleaning the tank is next

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

THEFRIDGE wrote: »
      Thanks guys I had already cleaned the waste trap with no change and I have checked the tank and there is no furry friends. I guess cleaning the tank is next

if your heating system is open vented does the expansion tank overflow run into the storage tank for the plumbing system? it could be that the chemicals mixed in the heating system has got into the storage tank by overflowing/expanding.

although you've no furry friends in the tank I would suggest draining it down and washing it out with a sponge would do no harm.

I was working in a house on wednesday and smelt a very bad egg smell in the loft. later, when the heating was on and expanding the smell got 100 times worse, it was like a dozen mouldy eggs had been cracked open. there was a jelly like skin forming on the top of the water lying in the tank, I was looking for furry friends in the tank myself because of the smell, ive found bats, rats, mice, birds in tanks before. Luckily this tank had a seperate overflow so I cleaned the tank and overflowed it until the water ran clear before draining it down and washing it out properly with a sponge. My father was outside working the powerflushing machine while I was doing this and he said the stench coming out of the overflow was rancid so this gives you some idea of how bad it smelt if he could smell it outside coming down the overflow pipe.

Advertisement