Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The language of the Old Europe

Options
  • 24-01-2014 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Old European (Vinca) language and culture in early layers of Serbian and Irish language and culture

Many years ago I noticed strange similarities between Irish and Serbian mythology, language, toponymes and hydronymes. This was a mystery because according to history, these two peoples never lived in the same area of Europe at the same time, and therefore should not have been able to influence each other. And yet the number of similar or identical cultural, religious and linguistic characteristics kept growing. Also, people between the Balkans and Ireland did not share these cultural traits. This meant that there was no cultural diffusion. The conclusion was that these two people (Serbian and Irish) must have lived together somewhere at some point in history in order to mix their languages and cultures so much.
    While trying to uncover potential meeting point, I first looked at Viking invasions from the south Baltic. While there were many things pointing to a substantial West Slavic presence among the Danish Vikings who settled in England and Ireland, this all happened too late in order to explain hundreds of old Irish words and names which were identical to the Serbian ones. Not only were these words the same, they came in clusters and could often have a root in only one of languages with complex words being present in both. It also could not explain the early medieval Irish personal names which had meaning in Serbian. It also could not explain all the grammatical constructs which were identical in Irish and in Serbian. Vikings just didn’t have that big a cultural influence to force the Irish to accept Slavic grammar.
    I then looked at the Ango – Saxon period and discovered that there was a significant West Slavic (Wendish) presence in the Angles alliance. They settled in large areas of England, and there was a possibility that some unrecorded Angles settlements did appear in Ireland in the early medieval time with significant West Slavic population. But again this could not explain all the grammatical constructs which were identical in Irish and in Serbian. If there were Angles settlements in Ireland in the early medieval time, they again just didn’t have that big a cultural influence to force the Irish to accept Slavic grammar. Also there was a problem of even earlier archaeological finds, linked to the iron age, which had Serbian and Slavic characteristics. There were too many old customs, legends, sacred sites which had their counterparts in Slavic countries and particularly Balkan South Slavic countries.
    So I looked at Rome, and Roman invasions of Britain and wandered was this maybe the source of common cultural characteristics between the Irish and the Serbs. But Romans never entered Ireland and there is no known record of Irish mercenaries in the Roman army, so that removed a possible connection once again.
    So I looked at Iron Age period and found many things which pointed to a significant cultural influx from the south Baltic. There was a great similarity between Lusatian culture in the south Baltic and the Iron Age cultures in Ireland and England, and it seems that the Iron Age was brought to Ireland on the spears and swords of the people from south Baltic. This was a good starting point. The warrior elite from the Baltic could have brought with them their beliefs, their language and their customs, and forced them on the people they encountered in Ireland. But that would not explain the huge number of toponymes and hydronimes in the Balkans which have no meaning in Slavic languages but do have meaning in Irish. And these toponymes and hydronimes come in clusters and are tightly connected with the location of the Balkan tumulus culture sites. Also this would not explain the presence of all the words, and grammatical constructs which only exist in Irish and in certain dialects of south Slavic languages and particularly in some old dialects of Serbian. This also would not explain all the base words in South Slavic languages which can be broken down and explained using Irish. For this to be possible, Irish speaking people had to be present in the Balkans in great numbers for a very long time during the Iron Age and even during the Bronze Age.
    So I looked at Celts as a possible cultural link between the two people. They were the rulers of central Europe, precisely the area between the Baltic and the Balkans. That would have given them the ability to influence both the Irish and the people who would later become the Western Slavs. But Celts never had any significant long term presence in the Balkans. They came through the Balkans on the way to Asia Minor in the 3rd century bc. But their main strongholds were in the area above Danube. The area below Danube was the land of the Illyrians. Illyrians and Celts were by some people linked and called Celto – Illyrians. This certainly was a good lead. If Illyrians actually spoke the same or similar language to the Celts, then that would explain all the similarities between the Irish and Serbian languages but only if we accept that both the Irish and Serbian languages are direct descendants of the Celto Illyrian language and that Celtic and Illyrian were the same language.
    This was already getting very controversial, as this would mean that there is a cultural continuity in the area between the Baltic and the Balkan lasting for more than 2500 years. This would mean that there is an underlying Celtic cultural layer in the Slavic culture and that the Slavic culture was created as a fusion of the Celtic and Skito Sarmatian cultures? The similarities between the Irish and Serbian cultures would then be the Celtic layer, and that would allow us to decipher the Celtic language from Irish and Slavic languages. This was very exciting. But there were things that could not be explained with the Celtic connection.
    First it could not explain the amount of the words, customs, legends from old Rome and old Greece which could not be explained through Old Greek and Latin but could using Irish and Serbian language and culture. The only way this was possible was that somehow these cultural influences came to Italy and Greece from the Balkans at the time before the formation of both Kingdome of Rome and the Classical Greece. And there were plenty of ancient historical texts, as well as archaeological data that pointed to exactly that was the case.
    The latest archaeological data from Serbia confirms that iron was invented in the Balkans. The earliest iron metallurgical centre in the world, dated to 14th–13th century b BC, was found in south eastern Serbia in the hill fort settlement on the hill called Hisar. This site belongs to the earliest proto Illyrian period.
    So there was a culture in the Balkans powerful enough to influence Rome, Greece and Celtic central Europe. This had moved the meeting point where the future Irish and Serbs lived together to the Balkans in the end of the second and the beginning of the first millennium BC and identified the Illyrian culture as the root culture for both the Irish and the Serbs. But this culture also greatly influenced Old Rome and Greece which was evident from the amount of cultural characteristics and linguistic traces in both cultures which were in all the ancient texts attributed to the mysterious Pelasgians who even more mysteriously disappeared from the face of the earth together with their Illyrian and Celtic neighbours. These Pelasgians, Illyrians and Celts now turned out to be alive and well in the Irish, South and Western Slavs….This was getting really interesting.
    But then I came across the story about Vinca metallurgical revolution which happened in the 4th millennium BC. At the same time when they were making lots of Copper and Bronze weapons, Vinca people were creating a first organized religion. When you have well-armed religious fanatics you can be sure that a religious war is not far behind. And that is exactly what seemed to have happened in the second half of the 4th millennium BC. Vinca culture suddenly disappeared from the Balkans, but Vinca artefacts started appearing all over Europe, Asia and North Africa. And all of a sudden all these great civilisations started appearing everywhere, all based on the same symbols, the wolf, the eagle and other birds, the snake, the bee, the bull, the double axe, the mother goddess earth, the father sky, the son sun and daughter moon, the bird people and wolf people. The Vincans went out of the Balkans and took over the world, wielding their metal spears, swords and axes and carrying their wolf totems before them. They also took with them their language whose traces can be now found in all the Indo European languages.
    But they did not all leave. Some stayed at home and they later morphed into Illyrians. Those who went north eventually became Celts and Germans. Those who reached Britain and Ireland eventually became Gaels.
    Later the descendants of the Vincans returned, in waves from all sides, bringing with them new cultural and linguistic characteristics which they acquired over the centuries while mixing with the indo European peoples they had conquered. These new cultural and linguistic layers were deposited on top of the old European strand of Vinca culture which was created from the mix of Vincans and the other old European cultures. Steppe people came from the east, Asia minor and Mesopotamians from the south east, North African people from the south, Atlantic people from the west. And the Vinca culture slowly disappeared.
    The isolation of the Irish at the end of Europe, and the sheer number and military strength of the mountain people of the Balkans and the Central European mountains helped them to preserve this Vinca cultural and linguistic layer to this day, albeit covered with thick layers of Gaelic and Slavic and many other cultures and Languages.
    Comparing these two languages I believe that I have now uncovered this culture and language of old Europe. It could not be better.
    But this is not all.
    I also believe that in this old language I have discovered a possibility to reconstruct the oldest language spoken in Europe, the language before the language. I believe that I have discovered how the first language was formed in Europe from natural sounds, and how this earliest human language was preserved and conserved in the Irish and Serbian languages and their base words.
    To support my theory, I have accumulated a lot of material which I am translating into English. I am planning to make it available as soon as possible. The work is however in progress and I am writing this to invite everyone who might be interested to help me to continue this investigation as this is becoming too big and too important for just one man.
    I hope this does not sound too mad or pretentious. You have to believe me that I am pinching myself every day, as it is hard to believe that anyone can be so lucky to stumble across something like this…

You can read more about it on this thread on boards.id

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056938477

This is the main thread where everything ends up eventually.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dublinviking

I have been researching the origin of the language for past few years, through the comparative analysis of the old European cultures and Languages, particularly South Slavic (Serbian) and Irish. Finally I am confident enough to present some of my results in the area of the origin of human language.

I have concluded that the original language was based on natural sound which people either heard around them or were able to make themselves. The main carriers of information are individual sounds, vowels and consonants. Syllables are already carriers of complex combined information. Among the sounds the vowels are carriers of emotional information, and consonants are carriers of factual information. Knowing the meaning of sounds and syllables you can split words into their original building blocks and get true etymologies.

Analyzing Serbian and Irish language, i was able to conclude that this original language is still preserved and can be reconstructed fairly easily.

Analyzing Vinca script I was able to confirm that the the meaning of these sounds is reflected in the letter of the oldest human Alphabet.

I am sending you here the vowel classification based on my research. Please let me know what you think.

o - Neutral emotion. Used in pointing at objects that are not threatening or at people or animals under our control. Also used for ordering direction of movement. Gave rise to letter o from shape of the our mouth when we say o. Sound "ooooo" when we see something. In Serbian root sound for o (about, around), ko (who, like), oko (eye)...Root sound of word "go" meaning neutral object and also an order to someone or something to move in horizontal direction...

u - Raised emotional state, desire, want if positive, pain, discomfort if negative. Used to describe penetrating movement and actions as well position of something inside of something else. Used to describe emotion of want, desire, greed, lust. sound "uuuuuuuuu" when we admire something that we want for ourselves. Gave rise to letter u,y. The shape of valeys (uvala in Serbian) and other holes including our mouth. Shape of female pubic area (Y) and vagina (U) as well as male organ used to penetrate into vagina (U). Serbian word for in (u), uvo (ear), usta (mouth), both things where things go into our body...Root sound for word "gu" meaning her, female and for pointing downword.

a - The sound of high levels of agitation, aggression, rising tension, warning. Used to describe emotion of aggression inspired by fear, defensive aggression. If positive it describes assertion, bravery, fearlessness. If negative it describes dismay, panic, fear. Used for pointing upwards, and at distance, at things, people animals we fear, like god or enemies or wild beasts. Because it describes raising emotions and things which are more powerful then us, above us, it represents up, growth, sky. Gave rise to letter A from a point of a spear, aroused penis head, pointing upwards, mountain peaks. Sound "aaaa" when we figure something out. Shout "aaaaaaaa!" when we are trying to scare something the we can not control and we can't just kill. Sound "aaaaaaaaa!" when we are running scared from that same thing, after our fake attack didn't scare it. Serbian word "na" (meaning on up) as opposed "un" (in down). Root sound for word "ga" meaning him, male.

e - The meaning is "is, it is, here it is". A natural sound of presenting something to someone. short sound "e" when you give something to someone. Serbian word "evo, eve, eto ete" meaning there you go. Pronounced deeper, e means highest possible aggression with intent to gain, kill, and pronounced higher means highest possible sorrow, pain caused by severe illness which looks as if it is going to kill us, or by loss of someone very precious, like a member of a family or something very precious like a home. So gaining, loosing and presenting = is, it is, here it is. Shout ej = e + j = e + ja = it is + me. Sound of growling, showing your teeth before immanent attack. Gave rise to letter E ш, from the shape of bared teeth. Root sound for Serbian words "ge, ke, gde, de" meaning where is it (what we want)?

i - Highest possible level of emotion. Hysteria, utter devastation, loosing your mind, ecstasy. Used to express extreme emotional states usually group emotional states, where emotions of each individual feed the group emotional flame. Like during funerals, processions, religious celebrations, births. Connected with death and birth, continuation. Used to release the worst emotions and to allow us to continue with our life. Word "i" means "and, continue" in Serbian. Gave rise to letter I from a post, mark, stake, totem pole, around which ceremonies are held. Sound of sqeeeeling, waiiiiiiling at funerals, but also the sound of the scream of a mother giving birth, which is a mixture of a and i...root sound for word "gi" meaning them, group, family.

This is the base of Serbian language, sounds expressing emotions. These sounds are then mixed with consonants to create words carrying meaning. But hidden under a meaning we still have emotions, carried through these five vowels. We can see how emotionally tainted the language is from just these words used for pointing (looking at) in the southern dialect of Serbian:

go - neutral, child, domestic animal, something we control
    gu - female, woman, desire, things we want
    ga - male, man, aggression cause by fear, things we don't control
    ge, ke, gde, de - where is the thing we want. give it to us.
    gi - group, group emotions, family, cooperation, sacrifice,

The gradation of emotion carried by consonants is:

increase of emotional charge: ouaei
    decrese of emotional charge: ieauo

We can see this clearly from the exclamation sounds used by people every day:

The following are active sounds, used while the situation is happening, to describe our emotions triggered by the world around us:

ooo - o there it is, o I see (acknowledgment)
    uuu - u this is great (i want it)
    aaa - a! you scared me, aaa there it is, aaa so that's the secret (surprise, scary or nice)
    eee - e come on, e i don't have it (possession, threat)
    iii - hysteria, uncontrollable fear or happiness

These are different laughs carrying different emotional message:

hohoho - Santa Clause, good natured, laughing together
    huhuhu - notty, mischievous
    hahaha - laughing without caring what people think, laughing at people
    hehehe - sinister, dangerous, conspiratorial, mean
    hihihi - just before you pee in your pants, when something is fall on the ground funny or when someone is tickling you, sniggering in a group behind someone's back

The following are passive sounds, used to describe the aftermath of a situation, and used to release accumulated emotions:

hoooo - mild frustration with small problem, forward looking
    huuuu - lots of problems, hard work, but still not giving up, forward looking
    haaaa - too many problems, giving up, present
    eh - remembering something that failed recently and you wish it didn't, feeling sorry for yourself. recent past
    ih - remembering something that failed long time ago. feeling bitter. distant past

This ability of vowels to carry and remove emotion is used in healing sounds techniques in China and India.

aoum - the sacred sound of Buddhism. A - outside, O surface of the body, U inside of the body, M core. M is the only sound that can be made with your mouth closed. This is why it is a core sound of words that mean me, my, myself. So the above mantra brings our focus from outside into our core, (m)ind by using emotional discharge through descending vowels.

It is also used in everyday speech:

halo = ao = reduce tension, friendly
    zdravo = ao = reduce tension, friendly
    ciao = ao = reduce tension, friendly

Sound of pain "iao" reduses stress.

iiiha - calming the horse down

English "Hi" actually means Hi, hysterical, the opposite of calming.

Engilsh "How do you do" expresses our formality and business like relationship. I am here on business, because i want something from you and we are equal...

Serbian greeting "gde si ti!" expresses happiness to find someone, to form a group. E find, I group, emotions rising. The old south Serbian version is even more descriptive: "gu de si ti" = in where you are = uei = in, lost, buried, invisible + looking, wanting + seeing, found, exist + together, group, release of fear

Slavic battle cry Ura - ua - arousing emotions to the point of aggression
    Japanese battle cry Bansai - ai - arousing emotions to the point passed aggression, to the point of sacrifice
    kiiiil hiiim - group hysteria, mob hysteria

It is interesting to see how different culture view themselves differently:

Slavic Ja = Ia = god, group, me, submission to group, god
    English I = aI = me, god, group, domination over group, god
    German Ich = I = domination of the group, no me
    Japanese Watashi, I = ai = me, group, god, domination over group, god, but also the opposite, complete submission to group, god
    Irish me = e = internalized, hidden aggression
    French je = ie = group aggression
    Latin, Greek ego = eo = aggression, both personal and group, objects, materialism

Just by saying "I" in your own language you show what your epigenetic emotional charge is...

There has been a lot of research done in this field as i discovered today. It seems that i am on the right track here...They already use vowels to automatically detect emotions in speech analysis engines...

Recently, automatic emotion recognition from speech has achieved growing interest within the human-machine interaction research community. Most part of emotion recognition methods use context independent frame-level analysis or turn-level analysis. In this article, we introduce context dependent vowel level analysis applied for emotion classification. An average first formant value extracted on vowel level has been used as unidimensional acoustic feature vector. The Neyman-Pearson criterion has been used for classification purpose. Our classifier is able to detect high-arousal emotions with small error rates. Within our research we proved that the smallest emotional unit should be the vowel instead of the word. We find out that using vowel level analysis can be an important issue during developing a robust emotion classifier. Also, our research can be useful for developing robust affective speech recognition methods and high quality emotional speech synthesis systems.

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/login.jsp?tp=&arnumber=6012003&url=http%3A%2F%2Fieeexplore.ieee.org%2Fxpls%2Fabs_all.jsp%3Farnumber%3D6012003

You can find more on Serbian Irish comparative culture and linguistics on these threads as well:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057129408
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057088700
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057082812

These are all side threads. The content from these threads will eventually end up on Vinca thread, when i get to the particular theme these side threads are covering.

Have fun, and feel free to post your comments on any of these threads.

I already listed the south Serbian dialect words for pointing:

go - neutral, child, domestic animal, something we control
    gu - female, woman, desire, things we want
    ga - male, man, aggression cause by fear, things we don't control
    ge, ke, gde, de - where is the thing we want. give it to us.
    gi - group, group emotions, family, cooperation, sacrifice,

There is however another set of pointing words:

to - neuter
    tu - feminine
    ta(j) - masculine
    te - those (we want)
    ti - those (we see)

The vowels are the same, but the consonants are different.
    The first set of words start with "g" and are used only for living beings, people and animals.
    The second set of words start with "t" and are used only for inanimate objects.

Sound "g" is root sound of following Serbian words:

"grlo" - throat
    "glas" - voice
    "gutati" - swallow
    "gristi" - bite

These are all characteristics of living beings. This connects sound "g" with meaning "alive".

Sound "t" together with sound "d" are sounds of hitting something hard, like wood or stone or soil with your hand or foot. This connects these two sounds with material objects. These two sounds are interchangeable as they are made with the same position of the speech apparatus.

So we have:

"go" - pointing at child, animal, living thing that can make voice
    "to" - pointing at inanimate objects

Sound "g" is root sound of following Serbian words:

"grlo" - throat
    "glas" - voice
    "gutati" - swallow
    "gristi" - bite

These are all characteristics of living beings. This connects sound "g" with meaning "alive".

It is also root sound of these words:

"glava" - head
    "glagol" - word, language
    "glagolati" - talk
    "glagoljica" - letters, writing, alphabet

But also

"gledati" - to look
    "gluv" - deaf, root of word "gluvati" which become slušati - to losten
    "gladan" - hungry
    "glabati" - eat hungrily
    "glodati" - gnaw, chew

and so on.

Sound "g" is the sound you make with the end of you tong deepest down in your throat ("grlo" in Serbian).
    Sound "l" is one of few frontal sounds you can make with the tip of your tong by touching your teeth.
    "gl" sound combination slides the whole tong against the top of our mouth, from it's root, deep inside of us, to its tip, at the place where we stop and the rest of the world starts.
    "gl" sound combination carries outward direction, from us to the world. Serbian word "glasati" means to let sound out, to talk.
    "lg" sound combination slides the whole tong against the top of our mouth in the opposite direction, and therefore carries inward direction, from the world to us. Serbian word "lgati" which today means "to lie" probably originally meant to "listen, decode, to understand" therefore to "misinterpret, to lie".

gl+lg = gllg = glglglg = glagol, glagolati = conversation, communication, language.

h,g,k,j are all deep throat consonants produced with the same position of speech apparatus. s,z,t,n are all tip of the tong consonants produced with the same position of speech apparatus.

Now look at these words for language:

Albanian - fjalë - outward movement. Not rolling, more controlled, probably newer in origin

Eglish - tong - inward movement. Not rolling, more controlled, probably newer in origin

Latin - lingua- inward movement from tip to root of the tong.

Modern Serbian and other Slavic languages - jezik - equivalent of glg, language, Not rolling, more controlled, probably newer in origin

Irish - Gaeilge - glg - language
    Irish - teanga (tong) - inward movement from tip to root of the tong. Not rolling, more controlled, probably newer in origin
    Irish - béarlagair - slang (remember word lagati, to lie)

Basque - hizkuntza. equivalent in meaning with glgl = glagol = language

Not rolling, more controlled, probably newer in origin

Danish - sprog - inward movement from tip to root of the tong. Not rolling, more controlled, probably newer in origin

Dutch - spraak - inward movement from tip to root of the tong. Not rolling, more controlled, probably newer in origin
    German - Sprache - inward movement from tip to root of the tong. Not rolling, more controlled, probably newer in origin
    Norwegian - språk - inward movement from tip to root of the tong. Not rolling, more controlled, probably newer in origin
    Swedish - språk - inward movement from tip to root of the tong. Not rolling, more controlled, probably newer in origin
    Estonian - keel - outward movement, rolling, old
    Finnish - kieli - outward movement, rolling, old
    French - langue - inward movement from tip to root of the tong, rolling, old

Greek - glossa, glota - equivalent to Serbian glas, voice, outward movement, rolling, old
    Hungarian - nyelv - equivalent to lgl - language. Not rolling, more controlled, probably newer in origin
    Icelandic - tungumál - equivalent to llgll - language. Not rolling, more controlled, probably newer in origin
    Lithuanian - kalba, outward movement, rolling, old
    Mongolian - khel - outward movement, rolling, old
    Romaian - limbaj - inward movement. Not rolling, more controlled, probably newer in origin
    Welsh - iaith - outward movement. Not rolling, more controlled, probably newer in origin

We see the same pattern repeated in words for language.

But in Serbian we have all these other words which are describing head and all the functions performed by the head used in communication. How many languages do we have which have the same cluster of words?

Look at Greek which has glossa, glota for language.
    head - kefáli
    throat - laimós
    voice - foni
    swallow - chelidóni
    look - matiá, vlémma
    listen - akoúo

Where did Greeks get their words glossa, glota from? Their Pre Indoeuropean northern neighbors from the Balkans?

Now look at this etymology based on root natural language that I think I have discovered:
    N - separating, defining space. From involuntary sound nnnnnnnn made by something trying to protect themselves while putting hands in front of them over their head.
    G - up, far away, pointing
    S - surface, smooth, also with, touching, sound produced by gliding your hand on a surface of skin
    L - smooth, slippery, from sound produced by gliding your tong along the top of your mouth.
    Lj - extremely slippery associated with water and oil.
    I - continuation, direction
    E - what is,
    K - surface, towards, close to, touch. Close to meaning with G for pointing. The sound produced by your throat stuck together is kh. Coughing, "kašalj" in Serbian comes from this. The sound of two stones banged together is k. Two hands clapped together produce k sound. Koža meaning skin in Serbian.
    D - hard, solid, from sound made by hitting something hard, solid very hard. As opposed to T which is sound made by hitting something solid not so hard. Also represents Down, Dole (down in Serbian) as opposed to There, Tu (close there in Serbian), Tamo (far there in Serbian) horizontal.
    DE, GDE - Serbian word meaning where, where to. From DE = D + E = down, ground + it is, is it. GDE = G + D + E = pointing + down, ground + it is, is it
    P - fall down, sound of something soft falling down, or hitting something soft. Pa - to fall. Pade - Pa + de = fall + where - Serbian for something fell down
    SLED - what is used to move on surface of slippery hard stuff where you can fall down
    IDE - Serbian word meaning goes, it goes. From I + D + E = continues, direction + down, ground + it is, is it
    SLIDE - S + L + IDE = with + slippery, smooth + goes
    SLIP - S + L + I + P = with + slippery, smooth + continues + falls
    GLIDE - G + L + IDE = up + slippery, smooth + goes
    LINIJA Serbian word meaning Line

From Middle English line, lyne, from Old English līne (“line, cable, rope, hawser, series, row, rule, direction”), from Proto-Germanic *līnǭ (“line, rope, flaxen cord, thread”), from Proto-Germanic *līną (“flax, linen”), from Proto-Indo-European *līn- (“flax”).

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/line#Etymology_1

No root etymology. What i mean is that it is not broken down to neither syllables nor basic sounds. And every word is built from them. And these building blocks must have meaning which together give the meaning of the word.

LINE = L + I + N + E = smooth + direction + separating, defining + it is
    LINIJA, LINEA = L + I + N + E + A = smooth + direction + separating, defining + it is + ending for feminine gender

"lin" is a complex word. And it can be broken down to basic root sounds which form the meaning of the word? L + I + N = smooth + direction + boundary? What do you think is older sound or the word? What are words made of? Why? Have you ever asked yourself this question? Why is chair called a chair and not table?

Now look at these words:

LIZ = LIS Serbian word meaning LICK (LIK) = L + I + S = slippery, smooth, tong + continues, direction + surface + touch
    LIK - L + I + K = slippery, smooth, tong + continues, direction + what + towards, close to, touch, surface.
    LJ - really slippery and wet. Sound which activates saliva glands. Tong and Saliva
    LJUBI - Serbian word meaning to kiss = LJ - spit, saliva
    PLJUJE - Serbian word meaning to spit = P + LJ = sound of spitting
    BLJUJE - Serbian word meaning vomits = B + LJ = sound of vomiting
    LJIGA - Serbian word meaning slimy
    LJAGA - Serbian word meaning mire, spitting on someone
    ULJE - Serbian word meaning oil = U + LJ + E = In + slippery + it is = Describes location of oil in oily fruit like olive
    JEGULJA - Serbian word meaning eel = JE + GUJ + LJ + A = is + snake + slippery + extension for feminine words
    LAPATI - Serbian word meaning slurp from sound of the lifting water with your tong.
    LOKATI - Serbian word meaning drink with big gulps

I have few things to add about the vowels and their meaning. I said this earlier:
    The following are passive sounds, used to describe the aftermath of a situation, and used to release accumulated emotions:

hoooo - mild frustration with small problem, forward looking
    huuuu - lots of problems, hard work, but still not giving up, forward looking
    haaaa - too many problems, giving up, present
    eh - remembering something that failed recently and you wish it didn't, feeling sorry for yourself. recent past
    ih - remembering something that failed long time ago. feeling bitter. distant past

There are actually two sets of complete sighing sounds.

First describes the reaction to problems while they are happening. They convey frustration, disbelief that something bad is happening...

hoooo - mild frustration with small problem
    huuuu - lots of problems, hard work, but still not giving up
    haaaa - too many problems, giving up
    heeee - overwhelming problems, dangerous problems, people getting hurt, things get broken
    hiiiiiiii - disasterous problems, catastrophe, people dying, homes getting destroyed

Second describes the reaction to problems after they happened. They convey regret, loss, missed chance, what could have happened, disbelief that something bad has happened:

oh - mild frustration with small loss or missed chance, not affecting us much, nice to have. oh well...
    uh - big enough frustration with big enough loss or missed chance, affecting us significantly, good to have. Uh, I can't believe...
    ah - big frustration with big loss or missed chance, affecting us greatly, must have. Ah! Why didn't it work...
    eh - remembering something that failed recently and you wish it worked, feeling sorry for yourself. recent past, your are still affected, you are thinking about it all the time, but you are accepting it. Eh, if only it had worked...
    ih - remembering something that failed long time ago. feeling bitter, sad. distant past. Ih, when I remember...

Vowels O,U,A,Eшm,I and their symbols from Vinca script, describe life in it's entirety:

O - seed, egg (round, enclosed)
    U - hole, womb, planting, fertilization (in, into)
    A - birth, sprouting, growth (upward)
    Eшm - existence in this world. E - human, ш - plants, m - animals (exists, it is)
    I - group, tribe, descendants, continuation, death, god, sky (stake, direction, one)

Vowel formant frequencies correspond with the meaning of the vowels. It seems that E frequency is higher than I. Killing is more emotionally affecting then death???

Vowel Formant f1 Formant f2 Sum direction
    i 240 Hz 2400 Hz 2640 ---- extreme emotion up
    e 390 Hz 2300 Hz 2690 ---- extreme emotion down
    a 850 Hz 1610 Hz 2460 ---- up, over
    o 360 Hz 640 Hz 1000 ---- ground, neutral
    u 250 Hz 595 Hz 845 ---- down, under

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formant

Vowels O,U,A,Eшm,I and their symbols from Vinca script correspond to the basic hand positions and gestures and hand movements and actions:

Hand positions, gestures:

O - hand pointing forward, palm horizontal, facing down, placed on something we own and control, like object, animal, child, possession of something, someone
    U - hand pointing forward, palm horizontal, facing up, holding something in it, supporting something or someone
    A - hand pointing forward, palm horizontal, facing forward, like stopping someone, pushing something or someone away
    E - hand pointing sideways, palm vertical, facing our body, like bringing, pulling something towards us, acquiring something
    I - hand pointing down, palm vertical facing the center of the body next to the body. Means calm, self. Hand pointing up, palm vertical facing the center of the body next to the body. Means god, lord.

Hand movements, actions:

O - both hands pointing towards each other, palm horizontal, facing down, placed on something we push down
    U - both hands pointing towards each other, palm horizontal, facing up, holding something in it
    A - both hands pointing towards each other, palm vertical, facing outward, stopping someone, pushing something or someone away
    E - both hands pointing sideways towards , palm vertical, facing our body, bringing, pulling something towards us, acquiring something
    I - both hands pointing down, palm vertical facing the center of the body next to the body, calm, self. Both hands pointing up, palm vertical facing the center line of the body, god, lord

Vowels O,U,A,Eшm,I and their symbols from Vinca script correspond to the basic primary colors:

black, red, yellow, blue, white

I am not sure what color corresponds to what sound, but it could be something like this:

green - E - violence, anger - extreme negative
    red - U - desire - mildly negative
    orange - O - calm, neutral
    yellow - A - high, positive
    blue - I - tranquility, acceptance

or this:

red - U - deep, down, underworld
    green - E - life, plants
    orange - O - surface, horizontal, land, earth
    yellow - A - high, up, sun
    blue - I - god, sky

These colors can be found on color scale of good and evil in Christian church for instance.

It is in any case interesting how these things correspond to each other.

• Advertisement

do you know where word cherry comes from?
    From Middle English cheri (loanword from Anglo-Norman, from Old Northern French cherise (“cherry”)- compare Old French cerise, which gave modern French cerise and later English cerise from this). Compare Old English ciris (“cherry”), (from Late Latin ceresia), which died out after the Norman invasion and was replaced by the French-derived word.[1]
    The Middle English singular is a back-formation from Old Northern French cherise (“cherry”) (interpreted as a plural), from Vulgar Latin ceresia, a reinterpretation of the neuter plural of Late Latin ceresium, from Latin cerasium (cerasum, cerasus (“cherry tree”)), from Ancient Greek κεράσιον (kerasion, “cherry fruit”).

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cherry

No root etymology anywhere in site. And the thing is I don't even need to go to the root sounds to give you proper etymology.

These are Serbian words:

krv - blood (red in color)
    crv (tcrv)- root for word crven (tsrven) meaning red in color
    črv, červ - root for word črven, červen meaning red in color in another dialect
    crn (tsrn)- black
    črn, čern - black

trešnja - cherry
    črešnja, čerešnja - cherry

Root is either Slavic word "čer" meaning red or krv meaning blood. krv, srv, crv (tsrv), črv are all the equivalents meaning blood red. This is why we have Greek "kerasion" from "kr" meaning blood red but Greeks turned it into "ker" the same way in some dialects of Serbian you find "čern" instead of "črn" for black or "červeni" instead of "črveni" for red.

čerešnja = čer(ven) + es + na = blood red + is + on
    kerasion = ker(vena) + si + on = blood red + is + on

R - rip, scrape, cut with something that has teeth, which is not smooth, like with a primitive stone tool. From sound made by scraping sawing. rrrrrrrrrrr. "rezati" meaning to cut, runiti meaning to scrape, rovati meaning to make groves in Serbian
    V - flowing liquid. root word of va, vo - water, voda. Celtic ending for river names. va, ava, ova...Still trying to figure out where it came from. Any suggestions? What sounds like vvvv?
    K - surface, towards, close to, touch, surface. close to meaning with G for pointing. Still working on this...The sound produced by your throat stuck together is kh. Coughing, "kašalj" in Serbian comes from this. The sound of two stones banged together is k. Two hands clapped together produce k sound. Koža meaning skin in Serbian.

Where does word "krv" come from? K + R + V = surface + cut, rip, scrape + running liquid = what spills out of the body when surface, skin is scraped, broken, penetrated = blood. word red = R + E + D = cut, rip + it is + give = what you get when you cut yourself or something alive.

word crv(en) = srv(en) = S + R + V = surface + cut + running liquid. krv = srv. Is this the split between people who say k for surface and people who say s for surface. Or are k - towards and s - with just two different meaning of surface?

S - surface, smooth, also with, touching, sound produced by gliding your hand on a surface of skin
    K - surface, towards, close to, touch. Close to meaning with G for pointing. The sound produced by your throat stuck together is kh. Coughing, "kašalj" in Serbian comes from this. The sound of two stones banged together is k. Two hands clapped together produce k sound. Koža meaning skin in Serbian.

from a discussion about root for word red, and cherry:

Incidentally, there are also these roots:

*ker- "crow; to crow"
    *ker- "to hang; hanging"
    *ḱer- "head; top"
    *ḱer- "to grow"
    *ḱer- "string; plait, weave"
    *ḱer- "to wound, injure"
    *(s)ker- "to cut, shear"
    *(s)ker- "to wrinkle, crust"
    *(s)ker- "to jump, leap"
    *(s)ker- "to turn"

I could make any of them fit with the definition of "cherry". But why do I believe that kr blood red is the root of the name for cherry?

Because only word meaning blood red describes cherry in one word.

krv - blood (red in color)
    crv (tcrv)- root for word crven (tsrven) meaning red in color
    črv, červ - root for word črven, červen meaning red in color in another dialect
    crn (tsrn)- black
    črn, čern - black

trešnja - cherry
    črešnja, čerešnja - cherry

You need to understand the point of words. The route is always from simple to complex. But people obviously don't get this because they come up with things like this:
    From Middle English line, lyne, from Old English līne (“line, cable, rope, hawser, series, row, rule, direction”), from Proto-Germanic *līnǭ (“line, rope, flaxen cord, thread”), from Proto-Germanic *līną (“flax, linen”), from Proto-Indo-European *līn- (“flax”).

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/line#Etymology_1

line comes from flax. Makes no sense. Didn't people know about lines before they made first ropes from flax? You are telling me people had no need for a word describing a line before that? When line is one of the most basic abstract objects and is present everywhere. Surely people had some way of naming "that smooth thing which continues and defines the boundary of things"? L+I+N.

People made cordage and cloths from nettles in Europe. Why is the word for line derived from flax and not nettle? Maybe word for flax is derived from word for line? Because you can make line like things from line like threads you can get from this plant? Maybe the Lin means Line plant?

Which makes more sense?

For those who are interested in this topic, there is a discussion going on about it here:

http://linguistforum.com/historical-linguistics/the-language-of-old-europe/

It is pretty interesting.

I will try to post summaries of it here when i get time.

Have fun and stay happy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Thanks for all that.

Have you expanded further on it , or published it?

Advertisement