Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A 'life reset' button - would you press it?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

My mother recently asked me "If you could live your life over would you change anything? led to an exasperated Everthing!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭SeanW

Speaking only for myself, things could have been better, or a whole lot worse, had they unfolded differently. I would need to have control/preview of the "new" life before deciding.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

SeanW wrote: »
    I would need to have control/preview of the "new" life before deciding.

Not available.
    Them be the rules...
    sheese wrote:
    My mother recently asked me "If you could live your life over would you change anything? led to an exasperated Everthing! .

You'll have no chance to retify anything in your past life, because you won't be aware of it.
    Besides, your new life will be different. I says so, so that's that.

Yes, definitely. I really don't have much in my life right now that's worth not pushing the button for.
    Nope.

It'd be tempting for some things, but I've a couple of kids, and the chances of me hitting my wife's eggs with the exact right two sperm all over again has got to be infinitesimally small.

You might get two better kids. Maybe even a better wife!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Not a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭SeanW

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Not available.
    Them be the rules...
    Then, no. Because there's no guarantee your life wouldn't be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Yes, made some really stupid life impacting decisions that I completely regret...

Heck, maybe death you restart life over! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's a person on this planet whose existence is due to the entirety of choices I have made up to this point and whose continued existence is more important than my own. Theoretically the "reset" may also affect the lives of those around me which potentially means that nephews and nieces too may not exist in this alternate timeline.

If we never met, my wife would probably be happy anyway, everyone likes her. Though I have difficulty seeing how anyone else could make me as happy as she makes me.
    But my daughter wouldn't exist. So no way in hell am I pushing that button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Nope.

I lucked out in a number of ways and for that I'm grateful.

I might not have that in a new life.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

I think it's very sad that so many people have said yes :(

My life isn't the best by any means but the bad things in it are completely overshadowed by the love I have for my family, my boyfriend, my lovely friends, even my cats!

If I pressed that button I could be born into a country torn apart by war, or to a junkie mother who doesn't love or want me, or with a terrible illness or disability - so many awful scenarios!

I think I'll keep what I have thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

I think it's very sad that so many people have said yes :(

My life isn't the best by any means but the bad things in it are completely overshadowed by the love I have for my family, my boyfriend, my lovely friends, even my cats!

If I pressed that button I could be born into a country torn apart by war, or to a junkie mother who doesn't love or want me, or with a terrible illness or disability - so many awful scenarios!

I think I'll keep what I have thanks

I think the OP said you'd be born into the same general background etc so the wartorn thing is unlikely.

I fully agree though that I feel sorry for people if they genuinely - having fully understood the 'rules' given by the OP - would choose to reset their life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

OldGoat wrote: »
    According to Shakespeare "Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood."
    That would never suit AH.

Having said that, AH is the ultimate tragedy...

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

It would be the easiest decision I ever made. If there was even a 1% chance that things would be different I would reset

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

Id be on it like car bonnet ...
    Possibly steer clear of them women folk next time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

No way! Everything that has happened has got me to thins point, maybe not in the most direct way but thats the fun of the game. Hell it could be a lot worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

No I wouldn't. The last 28 years has helped mould me into the person I am and I wouldn't want to risk resetting and being a complete douche. Nor would I want to intentionally risk someone else's life being worse to make mine better.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭biketard

Nope.

It'd be tempting for some things, but I've a couple of kids, and the chances of me hitting my wife's eggs with the exact right two sperm all over again has got to be infinitesimally small.

^ This.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hmm trying to think seriously about this, on balance I don't think I would

There's several key things I would change, but the ripple effect would mean that other positive things likely wouldn't happen either - so while I may not have taken that crappy job move back in 2001, I might still be in the same company now (a lot of people I know still are) and wouldn't have taken on a far more rewarding job, lived outside Dublin for a few years and so on..

What I would like though is a 12-hour "preview" of my life 5/10 years from now, just to see how some things work out or any crazy changes... if you'd said to me back in 2009 that I'd be living back in Dublin, in the job I'm doing and various other things I'd have told you you were crazy - but here I am!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

God no. Although I've had some tough times, I can't really believe how lucky I've been overall. Wouldn't push my luck tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

No. People say I should've done a degree etc, but frankly I'd never have met my girlfriend if I'd done a degree. A great relationship is much more important than a college degree or any amount of money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement