Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Clothes Line

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

catallus wrote: »
    Yeah, well, you would say that, wouldn't you?

Look, the evidence is there for all to see: http://saveonutilities.com/Electricity/Appliance%20Electriciy%20Use.htm

The ozone is real. And the hole is real too. We have to think of the future.

We know that, you're talking out of it. :P

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

catallus wrote: »
    Yeah, well, you would say that, wouldn't you?

Look, the evidence is there for all to see: http://saveonutilities.com/Electricity/Appliance%20Electriciy%20Use.htm

Wut? :confused:

Taken from the very link you posted:

Refrigerator (frost-free, 16 cubic feet) = 725W
    Clothes dryer = 1800–5000W

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

mike_ie wrote: »

Clean headshot there. Well played sir.

Another sucessful internet victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

My old (and old-fashioned) uncle lives alone and uses the dryer even on hot dry days...would not use the line in case someone saw him :pac: Tis a woman's job after all.

Clothes on balconies can make even the nicest apartment block look like tenements, but at the same time it is beyond ridiculous to have clothes on a horse thing spread out in the living room, all that damp can't be good either.

Apartments should have utility rooms with windows, where you can hang up clothes...that's what they do in Brazil, makes a lot of sense. Inside - so they wont get rained on (and quick and easy to hang) and are barely visible from outside while being beside a window they dry quickly and there is ventilation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Maybe I'm drying my clothes wrong on the balcony but people here make it sound like you attach your washing on a stick and wave it around to make the place look like it has more flags than northern Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I actually like seeing washing hanging out in all the other back gardens around me, for the simple reason that it signals "warm dry weather".

I am one of those that hangs washing out late at night and then take it in dry after work the next day. My mother-in-law is horrified. I only do it when there is no sign of rain on my weather app for that night & the next day.

Once in a while something will get bird poo on it, it just goes back in the wash.

Can't beat that dried-outside smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Mink wrote: »
    I actually like seeing washing hanging out in all the other back gardens around me, for the simple reason that it signals "warm dry weather".

I am one of those that hangs washing out late at night and then take it in dry after work the next day. My mother-in-law is horrified. I only do it when there is no sign of rain on my weather app for that night & the next day.

Once in a while something will get bird poo on it, it just goes back in the wash.

This is very true. Sure beats the faint smell of yesterday's greasy chicken curry that you rustled up in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bettyswollocks

I cant leave washing out on the line in my estate. Clothing goes missing, happened to a few neighbours, and always late at night.

Theres a guy next door who hangs tea bags out to dry on the line, reuses them when they are dried.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

I live in a nice apartment block & we all put bamboo on the balcony glass so washing is not visible & actually adds to the look IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Soups123

I had my knickers stolen off the line a few times over the years. I don't leave them out anymore. Sick, creepy fcuks sneaking around peoples gardens stealing underwear.:mad:

As young immature teenagers we used to jump the backs at night as teenagers swapping neighbors closes around the shopping lines.

There was this one guy who lived on his own we used to collect all the nicks, bra's and womans socks we could find a completely load his line.

Mad basta***....................

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I cant leave washing out on the line in my estate. Clothing goes missing, happened to a few neighbours, and always late at night.

Theres a guy next door who hangs tea bags out to dry on the line, reuses them when they are dried.

One for the stingiest things you've ever seen thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,402 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Mink wrote: »

Are you sure that isn't just the smell of damp? :confused:

Any time I accidentally left clothes overnight on the line, they'd have an awful bang of damp off them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

My line's broken. Wind pushed the tree and snapped the line. I just haven't got the arse to put that ladder up against that vile tree again. Getting too old for that game :(

Hedge for me then .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

o1s1n wrote: »
    Are you sure that isn't just the smell of damp? :confused:

Any time I accidentally left clothes overnight on the line, they'd have an awful bang of damp off them.

My clothes have never smelled of damp when I left them out over night.. and I've never even considered bugs and things like that when drying outside, I think that's a bit OTT really.

I can only really do the washing after I come home from work, so I hang it out in the evening and then take it off the following evening when it's dry. I hate drying clothes inside so I hang it out whenever I can, it just smells so much nicer! I used to live in an apartment block where we weren't allowed to dry clothes on the balcony at all and the stuff always took ages to dry inside and often smelled of damp (we did have a washer/dryer but the drying function was pretty useless). How is that more 'hygienic' than drying things outside?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

mike_ie wrote: »

That's the wattage of the appliance, silly.

What you should be looking at is the usage of power i.e Kilowatt-hours.

If you look at the graph in the link a fridge will use just over 1000 kWhrs per year and a clothes-dryer will use just under 1000 kWhrs per year.

I know people will say "But the fridge is in constant use and the dryer is only used now and again!" but those people are obviously under the thumb of the fridge manufacturers.

Numbers can be your friend, but they can lie to you too, especially if they want to sleep with your girlfriend. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

kylith wrote: »
    It does. It's why I had to get rid of my clothes line.

A member of my family lives in a South Co. Dublin estate that, while they have no ban on clothes lines, has a ban on commercial vehicles being there over night. The only reason for this, as far as I can tell, is so the bankers and the like don't have to know that plumbers and builders can afford to live next to them. One poor sod has to park his van outside the gates and walk half a mile to get to his house.

Now that I think of it the place I lived had a similar rule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Wonder does that actually happen a lot to clothes on the line (bird crap that is)

Birds only sh*t on white surfaces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Birds only sh*t on white surfaces.

They shit on black surfaces too, the round bales of silage do be destroyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

They shit on black surfaces too, the round bales of silage do be destroyed.

No they don't. I've never seen a bale destroyed with bird poo. Farmers put white paint on them though, maybe that's what you saw?

Advertisement