Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's your favourite "non-standard" English phrase or word?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭pavb2

(To be spoken in a Brummie accent)

Noddy Holder goes into a tailor's and says to one of the assistants,

"I'm re-forming Slade, I want to buy some new stage clothes. I need a pair of flared trousers, a wide collar shirt, platform boots and a mirrored top hat.

"Kipper Tie?" asks the assistant

"Oh thanks" says Noddy "2 sugars please."

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

spacetweek wrote: »
    I am definitely missing something here! Is that non-standard? In what way?

I've had times where I've had to explain to Irish people that a certain phrase or word is only used here. They often don't know, sometimes I don't either.

"Have you the right bags?" It "should" be "Do you have the right/correct bags?"

"Have you.. " sounds like French actually--> Avez vous votre bagages corrects?(hopefully the grammar in that is ok!)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Janey_Mac

I am definitely missing something here! Is that non-standard? In what way?

I've had times where I've had to explain to Irish people that a certain phrase or word is only used here. They often don't know, sometimes I don't either.

In other places it would have to be "Do you have the right bags?" or "Have you got the right bags?"

A few hundred years ago you used to be able to make questions in English by putting the verb first (Saw you it? Think you so?) instead of by using "did you" or "do you" no matter what the verb was.

That went out of the language in time as things do, and now in most dialects of English the only verb you can put first to ask a question is to be as in "I am right" "Am I right?"

But in Ireland we still put the verb first for to have as well.

newmug wrote: »
    ^^^^^ If "thou" was the formal singular, what was the formal plural?

There was only one plural for formal and informal.

"thou" was the informal singular.

"ye/you" was the formal singular and the plural.

Here for more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Modern_English#Pronouns

• Registered Users Posts: 38 waggs

When living in Oz, we had rented a video tape at the weekend. On the Monday I asked my Aussie housemates: 'Has the video been left back?' - I meant had it been left (as in past tense of to leave) back at the rental shop - it seemed more natural to me than to say 'has the video been returned?' - They hadn't a clue what I was asking and thought the sentence construction was the weirdest they'd ever heard.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

waggs wrote: »
    When living in Oz, we had rented a video tape at the weekend. On the Monday I asked my Aussie housemates: 'Has the video been left back?' - I meant had it been left (as in past tense of to leave) back at the rental shop - it seemed more natural to me than to say 'has the video been returned?' - They hadn't a clue what I was asking and thought the sentence construction was the weirdest they'd ever heard.
    Haha - your sentence sounds perfectly normal to me!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

When my brother was an intern in the US, he had to direct another intern towards a patient.

'It's your man over there.'

- 'What?'

'Your man, there.'

- 'He's not my man, he's yours.'

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

ah shure lookit here, what does be standard in yizzer areas might'nt be in these here parts, and sure wha' abou' it anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jkell061

Is there many people adin? (i.e; in there)

And adout. What's the craic adout? (out there)

Begob, half-times I don't know what youse do be on about, so I don't. Youse have quare ways of sayin' things. But sure it's between yourselves it is. I'm away off now.....Good morrow to youse all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭pavb2

One common one is the phrase 'Look it' just before explaining something

WHISHT!!!

jkell061 wrote: »
    Is there many people adin? (i.e; in there)

And adout. What's the craic adout? (out there)

I've never heard that before. Where do people say it?

Janey_Mac wrote: »

It's a louth / monaghan thing as far as I know. It could stretch further than that I'm not sure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

"the goo" as in the taste for drink.

"D'yeh wanna go for a pint after work this evening?"
    "Sounds deadly - I've the goo."

"gimme a pint there before I lose the heach" meaning 'I need another pint or the longing for a drink will leave me'

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It's a louth / monaghan thing as far as I know. It could stretch further than that I'm not sure.
    I've been known to say something similar (from Westmeath, living in Mayo), but I'm pretty atypical in a great many ways. ;)

In case it isn't obvious, those are corruptions of "within" and "without".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I'm from South Meath. Common as muck round here.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I've never heard it used in that specific way, in Dublin it would be:

"Sounds deadly - I have a goo on me for a drink."

• Registered Users Posts: 23 rener

I've just moved to Dublin from abroad, atm my fav phrase from the Irish i met abroad is 'a wet week'. "Shuddup! you ****! you're not here a wet week! *******!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭davwain

newmug wrote: »
    Yizzer. Plural of "your", as in plural of you plural. Eg. "Patrick, Bridie, yizzer dinners's is ready"

I would say my favourite non-standard expression in English is "Ya mon". It's common in Jamaica.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

and been et out of it!

My favourite in only the second post or so! I suppose it can count as "non-standard" for a past tense of "eat" :D I do also like "whisht!", just for the sound of it. And some of the constructions we have. "Is it X you're talking about?" rather than "Are you talking about X". It may not be English as the Queen might speak it, but I just like the way it rolls off the tongue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Roselm wrote: »
    "Have you the right bags?" It "should" be "Do you have the right/correct bags?"

"Have you.. " sounds like French actually--> Avez vous votre bagages corrects?(hopefully the grammar in that is ok!)

In French it is similar - the correct / official manner of saying it would be "Avez-vous bien récupéré vos propres bagages?" (Have you well recuperated your suitable luggages ?), probably shortened for a sign to « Avez-vous vos propres bagages? » (Have you your suitable luggages ?)
    Similarly, "Avez-vous fait vos propres bagages ? (have you made your suitable luggages ?) means did you pack your own bags ?]

« Propre » is an interesting word with several meanings.

Back on topic - I like « As ignorant as the kishabrogues. » (not really English) and
    « You’d better do that post-haste ! »
    « Would ya look at the head on him! »

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I work with a Hungarian guy, and he is fascinated by our (Dubliner's) pronunciation of certain words:

We restore classic cars, and it all started with our (joking) old pronunciation of Triumph Herald in the manner of old newspaper sellers of Dublin: Anyone remember "Heer-adl'd ana Press!..."?

His favourites are:

Herald = Hair-dl'd
    Squirrel = Squeer-d'l
    April = Apra-d'l
    Funeral = Fyooner-ad'l

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

But in Ireland we still put the verb first for to have as well.

So in Ireland, is "have you your right bags" acceptable? Or is "Do you have your right bags?" better?
    Is "Have you seen/gone/eaten...?" a correct sentence? Or should I say "Did you see/go/eat...?"
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

So in Ireland, is "have you your right bags" acceptable? Or is "Do you have your right bags?" better?
    Is "Have you seen/gone/eaten...?" a correct sentence? Or should I say "Did you see/go/eat...?"
    Thanks.

I would say spoken language is different to written language. I always say things like "Have you change of a tenner?" but would write "Do you have change of a tenner?". In spoken language, either of your sentences are fine, but both the ones starting "Have you..." are more Irish.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Thanks.

'Have you', is a direct anglicisation of 'An bhfuil', which cannot be translated?
    For example, 'Do you have a match?' translated to Irish would be 'An bhfuil cipín agat?'.
    Translated in literal meaning back to English, the closest equivalent might be 'Is there in your being a match that you possess?'
    Obviously that is a cumbersome way of saying things so the idiom has become shortened to 'Have you...etc.'.

That is my understanding of it but it is not from an etymologically sound or proven perspective. I would be very interested to hear an academic perspective.

Advertisement