Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long does it take a mist coat to dry?

• 03-05-2012 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭

Hi lads
    I'm painting a newly built bedroom and bathroom in me house this week. I'll be using a mist coat of matt emulsion/water to seal the walls and ceilings. How long before I can apply the first top coat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Depends on what you are using for your top coat.If its matt emulsion,then a couple of hours but if its a washable vinyl silk,then I would maybe leave overnight as this type of paint tends to lift the previous coat unless coat unless fully dry.Open windows to speed up the process.On completion of mist coat,any imperfections in the plasterwork will be revealed-these could be sanded[220 grit] or filled[polyfilla]or caulked[gaps between skirtings/architraves etc] before re-applying mist coat to any areas that have been attended to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

O'Prez wrote: »
    Hi lads
    I'm painting a newly built bedroom and bathroom in me house this week. I'll be using a mist coat of matt emulsion/water to seal the walls and ceilings. How long before I can apply the first top coat?

My girlfriend prepped all the rooms in our house with a diluted down coat of white emulsion paint.The fresh plaster soaks this up and this acts as a primer for your main coats of paint..

Left the diluted primer coat to soak in overnight,and then gave the rooms their 1st main coats the next day.6 hours later,gave the rooms their 2nd top coat.

Perfect finish.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

Thanx a lot for the replies lads. I was thinking the watered down emulsion was the way to go alright. Yer one down the DIY store tried to sell me PVA but that didn't sit right with me at all. Looks like I have a busy few days ahead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭kmepll

I was told by my father in law to seal the floor and walls with unibond but was very sceptical,asked the builder and he agreed with him,easy to apply on floors and walls

Thanx a lot for the replies lads. I was thinking the watered down emulsion was the way to go alright. Yer one down the DIY store tried to sell me PVA but that didn't sit right with me at all. Looks like I have a busy few days ahead :D

I wouldnt use PVA at all.

A plasterer friend of mine showed me the end result after a homeowner using PVA on the walls and ceilings that were freshly plastered,and the result was very patchy paint finish,where the PVA was actually showing through the emulsion paint in places.:(

A diluted coat of white emulsion paint is the easiest and safest option to go with.:)

Dilute the paint with 20% water for the primer coat and you will have absolutely no problems at all.Then once that has dried in,normal (undiluted) coats of what ever paint/colour you are painting on the walls and ceilings.Trust me.

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »
    I wouldnt use PVA at all.

A plasterer friend of mine showed me the end result after a homeowner using PVA on the walls and ceilings that were freshly plastered,and the result was very patchy paint finish,where the PVA was actually showing through the emulsion paint in places.:(

A diluted coat of white emulsion paint is the easiest and safest option to go with.:)

Dilute the paint with 20% water for the primer coat and you will have absolutely no problems at all.Then once that has dried in,normal (undiluted) coats of what ever paint/colour you are painting on the walls and ceilings.Trust me.

Paddy, out of interest...how do you mix the water/paint? I was going to poor the paint into a bucket and mix in the correct percentage of water that way. Is that right?

Paddy, out of interest...how do you mix the water/paint? I was going to poor the paint into a bucket and mix in the correct percentage of water that way. Is that right?

Empty large painters bucket and around 2 litres litre of water for every 10 litres of paint.

A cordless screwgun and a paint/plaster mixer bit does it in no time at all.

20% Diluted paint will be about the same as pouring cream,maybe a tad thicker (like me):):D

Empty large painters bucket and around 2 litres litre of water for every 10 litres of paint.

A cordless screwgun and a paint/plaster mixer bit does it in no time at all.

20% Diluted paint will be about the same as pouring cream,maybe a tad thicker (like me):):D

Thanx Paddy. Now to get off me arse and actually make a start!

Cordless screw-gun and paint mixer bit.

Very easy and quick way to mix the paint and water.

Cordless screw-gun and paint mixer bit.

Very easy and quick way to mix the paint and water.

Could I stick one of those on a drill or would a drill be too powerful? The drill I have is mains operated ( a no-no maybe) and has one speed.

• Advertisement

Could I stick one of those on a drill or would a drill be too powerful? The drill I have is mains operated ( a no-no maybe) and has one speed.

Cant see why not,but you might get a tad messy with paint splatter.:D

Cant see why not,but you might get a tad messy with paint splatter.:D

That's what I was thinking. I might splash out (no pun intended) and by a gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Jesus I would'nt be putting a mains operated drill with a bit into water based paint to mix.

Get yourself a wooden stick and mix it by hand.

robbie1977 wrote: »
    Jesus I would'nt be putting a mains operated drill with a bit into water based paint to mix.

Get yourself a wooden stick and mix it by hand.

Good call. But I'll probably buy the screw gun though. I love me some gadgets :D

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Like Paddy said, do NOT use P.V.A.
    Like Robbie said, just use a wooden stick and stir....should take all of 45 seconds to do![and will save you having to clean the mixer bit].
    Wayoutwest says,just get on with it-its not rocket science:)

So you cant/shouldnt use a "mains operated" drill or mixer for mixing/diluting down paint then???

I guess Lidl cant and dont sell any of these then...:pac::pac:

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-34514C38-D583F45B/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_20112.htm

PS-Im not telling the OP to go and buy one of these,Im just using this machine as an example,thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

So you cant/shouldnt use a "mains operated" drill or mixer for mixing/diluting down paint then???

I guess Lidl cant and dont sell any of these then...:pac::pac:

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-34514C38-D583F45B/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_20112.htm

PS-Im not telling the OP to go and buy one of these,Im just using this machine as an example,thats all.

Paddy that tool in the link for mixing is a specially made and designed
    for use with water based products.

The handle is alot further away than a drill would be with your mixer on the end of it and it would be alot better sealed up incase splash's of water comes into contact with it.

Heres a question for you Paddy would you use a mains operated drill out side to drill a hole if it was raining?

robbie1977 wrote: »
    Paddy that tool in the link for mixing is a specially made and designed
    for use with water based products.

The handle is alot further away than a drill would be with your mixer on the end of it and it would be alot better sealed up incase splash's of water comes into contact with it.

Heres a question for you Paddy would you use a mains operated drill out side to drill a hole if it was raining?

Robbie,anything is possible with me.

"life is like a box of chocolates"...:D

Advertisement