Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos ,no receipt.

• 11-06-2010 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Hi ,I'm hoping someone has brought something back to argos without a receipt before ?
    I bought something today ,but now can't find the receipt. The thing is this paticular branch is miles away from me and I can't get through on their number.

I used a laser card and have a reservation number for the purchase.

Would it be worth chancing my arm ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

No issue usually, just don't expect your money back.
    I brought back a sleeping bag recently which was strangely too small (the other identical one I bought fit fine). No reciept as I did not see any reason I would need one (goes to show) but I got credit and bought a new one with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Hi ,I'm hoping someone has brought something back to argos without a receipt before ?
    I bought something today ,but now can't find the receipt. The thing is this paticular branch is miles away from me and I can't get through on their number.

I used a laser card and have a reservation number for the purchase.

Would it be worth chancing my arm ?
    you do not need the receipt all you need is proof of purchase so if your laser receipt states the goods or has the price etc and also the reservation number will show argos staff that you bought the item as it should link to the sale on their system if the operator was working the till correctly.

they do not have to take anything back unless it is damaged etc but as a goodwill gesture they provide a 30day returns policy where you can exchange items or get gift vouchers for the value within 30 days of purchase as long as the items are unused and in original undamaged packaging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Thanks lads ,I'll make the trek back up there so:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Thanks lads ,I'll make the trek back up there so:)

I've brought stuff back to different Argos stores no problems before and got refunded. Their 30 day money back guarantee is great for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

My wife is standing in Argus at the moment with the box of the kettle we bought in December ( now broken ) , complete with the Argus sticker on the side of it yet they wont replace the product. They said we've no receipt and that we could have bought it anywhere. She's pointed out the argus sticker and refrence number on the side of the box as proof that we bought it off them but they still want a receipt. The box is enough proof isn't it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,993 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Saab Ed wrote: »
    My wife is standing in Argus at the moment with the box of the kettle we bought in December ( now broken ) , complete with the Argus sticker on the side of it yet they wont replace the product. They said we've no receipt and that we could have bought it anywhere. She's pointed out the argus sticker and refrence number on the side of the box as proof that we bought it off them but they still want a receipt. The box is enough proof isn't it!!!

Date as well I guess.

Argos. It's a five letter name. :rolleyes:

And they don't have to take it. You could've peeled a sticker off another box. You could've purchased in the UK.

Argos. It's a five letter name. :rolleyes:

Jeez thanks for the sound advice there. Must drop in to consumer issues more often seeing how I've gotten such in depth , concise information with a truly friendly and helpful tone. Unfortunately in this instance pointing out the spelling mistake wasn't the answer I needed, the answer I needed must not have been in your field of expertise but once again thanks very much. I'm sure everybody else who read the response will have taken from it the level of regard with which you should be held and in the future will know what they are to expect off you when a simple question for advice is being asked. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Hey Saab Ed,

I thought that you said you bought the kettle by Laser - your bank statement should feature a laser reference number and they should be able to identify the purchase from there.

dudara wrote: »
    Hey Saab Ed,

I thought that you said you bought the kettle by Laser - your bank statement should feature a laser reference number and they should be able to identify the purchase from there.

No it was the OP pointed that out but as luck would have it we did buy it with a laser card for which we had a record.

Funny thing though, the girl in Argos did say that's what they wanted but when my wife went back yesterday at ten to six in the evening , the girl didn't even want to see the proof, she just offered to exchange it. Me thinks getting home on time was of more importance to the shop assistant than any proof of purchase. So there you have it, if you want something exchanged in Argos , dont bother with a receipt or proof of laser transaction, instead work on the premise that frontline Argos staff get paid a pitance and really couldn't give a fu%k about anything except getting home on time in the evening :D

Back on a serious note though, the Kettle was obvoiusly bought from Argos , Uk or not it doesn't really matter because the warranty is from the manufacturer and not the retailer. The staff member was more hell bent on a argument than resolving the problem. The first numpty that my wife spoke to said , and I quote " We have no record of ever selling that type of kettle here before " . Thats just poor staff training on top of rudness. Anyway back to drinking tea from the new kettle :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Use a cup, that might be why it broke the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭steve22

dont forget to give the staff member loads of verbal abuse.... and blame them for the fairly standard company policy... I mean, afterall, its the sales assistants on minimum wage that have the final say on company return policy for the likes of Argos... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

No it was the OP pointed that out but as luck would have it we did buy it with a laser card for which we had a record.

Funny thing though, the girl in Argos did say that's what they wanted but when my wife went back yesterday at ten to six in the evening , the girl didn't even want to see the proof, she just offered to exchange it. Me thinks getting home on time was of more importance to the shop assistant than any proof of purchase. So there you have it, if you want something exchanged in Argos , dont bother with a receipt or proof of laser transaction, instead work on the premise that frontline Argos staff get paid a pitance and really couldn't give a fu%k about anything except getting home on time in the evening :D

Back on a serious note though, the Kettle was obvoiusly bought from Argos , Uk or not it doesn't really matter because the warranty is from the manufacturer and not the retailer. The staff member was more hell bent on a argument than resolving the problem. The first numpty that my wife spoke to said , and I quote " We have no record of ever selling that type of kettle here before " . Thats just poor staff training on top of rudness. Anyway back to drinking tea from the new kettle :)

Your warranty may indeed be with the manufacturer but the company who sells it may have to buy it through an Irish distributor - who again act as a middleman for faulty returns.
    Most retailers will only accept returns/faulty returns from the country they are bought in. Your guarantee doesn't always travel with you.

steve22 wrote: »
    dont forget to give the staff member loads of verbal abuse.... and blame them for the fairly standard company policy... I mean, afterall, its the sales assistants on minimum wage that have the final say on company return policy for the likes of Argos... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just to point out that no verbal was given at all.

...but your post is in a way kinda my point. Whats the point in dealing with this member of front line staff at all when A) you're right , they dont make the policy so in effect cant make an decession on anything and B) if they cant make any call on what to do then just give me the manager instead of starting an argument that they cant win or loose!

Your guarantee doesn't always travel with you.

As far as I know , it does within Europe or the E.U.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭steve22

Just to point out that no verbal was given at all.

...but your post is in a way kinda my point. Whats the point in dealing with this member of front line staff at all when A) you're right , they dont make the policy so in effect cant make an decession on anything and B) if they cant make any call on what to do then just give me the manager instead of starting an argument that they cant win or loose!

I wasnt directly accusing you of this... i was just making a point because plenty of times i've seen staff taking abuse from customers over returns when really the staff are only following what they are told.
    Also, even a manager in a place like Argos doesnt make the rules on returns... like all stores like that theres "a head office". these people decide on some particular rule and hide behind there desk letting the front line staff take the heat.
    Sales assistants in places like this work for a few quid... they dont get paid to take abuse - aim that at the head office!

On a different note... if i worked in this area and someone arrived into the shop 10 minutes before i was due to go home i'd give them the number and get outta there!! again, they probably dont get paid extra to stay late so why should they... its not exactly the type of job you work your life around!!

(ahhh Monday blues....) :D

the answer I needed must not have been in your field of expertise

I gave you two valid reasons why they wouldn't take it. :confused:

I gave you two valid reasons why they wouldn't take it. :confused:

Yeah I know but I decided to ignore that and just point out your spelling police , I am a bit of a cock attitude instead. I asked for help on an issue , I didn't ask for grammer lessons. Nobody likes that crap on here. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

As far as I know , it does within Europe or the E.U.

Your guarantee travels with the manufacturer - but every item - take your kettle for example will have a booklet with the local manufacturer contact details. Each EU country has different interpretations of consumer law, the law in Ireland is fairly good, but there are slight variations between it and the UK for example.

Depending on the retailer and if the retailer is franchised independently - they are not obliged to take the faulty item back - but can refer you back to either the store you purchased it or the manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

So there you have it, if you want something exchanged in Argos , dont bother with a receipt or proof of laser transaction, instead work on the premise that frontline Argos staff get paid a pitance and really couldn't give a fu%k about anything except getting home on time in the evening :D
    Having worked in a call center that dealt with fixing PC's, you'd be surprised at how many douche bags would ring up at 5 minutes to go, expecting a full refund with no troubleshooting done. Friday evening was sometimes the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Warranty is irrelevant, the sale of goods act gives you far more power than any warranty. Hence the reason for the small print you see with stupid statements like "Store has a No refunds policy - This does not affect your statutory rights"

Since your statutory rights make a mockery of the first statement, that means they don't offer refunds unless you know that you are fully entitled to one under the sale of goods act in certain circumstances.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Argos generally take items back if it's in an argos marked box. Never had hassle over it before. Once they know it comes from there they don't give much a of a fuss usually I'v found.

Advertisement