Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connect PS3 to my VPN

• 01-04-2010 8:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭

I have a PS3 and I'd like to use BBC iPlayer, however as I'm based in Ireland, it won't let me watch stuff as you have to be based in the UK.

I bought a UK VPN and I've been trying all sorts to get it set up and working with the PS3 but have had no luck. I'll be the first to admit that my knowledge of networking and protocols, settings etc is pretty bad so it's quite possible I've overlooked something pretty basic.

It works well on my Windows 7 laptop, but trying to get it work with the PS3 is a nightmare.

I also have a Netgear WPN824 v2 Rangemax Wireless Router that my current internet connection is coming through. I think it may be possible to configure that to connect to the VPN but I haven't the foggiest idea about where to start.

Help please :)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

I would hazard a guess that you would need a router with a built-in VPN and then connect the PS3 directly to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

I would hazard a guess that you would need a router with a built-in VPN and then connect the PS3 directly to this.

How do I do that? I have a Netgear WPN824 v2 wireless router. I'm reading the manual but it's not being much help, probably because I don't know much about setting up VPN's through a router.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

I'm trying to do something similar here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055867912

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Chances are you won't be able to do it directly on the PS3, as I doubt the PS3 itself will support a VPN (open to correction on this though).

You'll need a router that supports VPN, which your current one might not (check documentation). Another possibility might be to route your PS3's traffic through your laptop (pain in the hole though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

If you dont mind me asking OP what is you reason for doing this on a PS3? :)

• Advertisement

mle1324 wrote: »
    If you dont mind me asking OP what is you reason for doing this on a PS3? :)

I have a PS3 and I'd like to use BBC iPlayer, however as I'm based in Ireland, it won't let me watch stuff as you have to be based in the UK.

I bought a UK VPN

I'm in a similar situation - I've got a UK VPN but would like to setup a router on my LAN so that any traffic directed through that router goes through the VPN. In my case I want to use the iPlayer feature on my Freesat box (Humax Foxsat HD satellite PVR).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I've got my PS3 setup this way, connection to the UK via a VPN by OverPlay (in my sig). I've setup my PS3 to use my linux box/server as its gateway. I've setup IP tables to redirect all received traffic on the server to be directed over the OverPlay VPN via OpenVPN.

Not the most straight forward, I'm fairly sure yea could setup a OpenWRT firmware for a WRT router do the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Humle

You can try http://switchvpn.com it provides UK and USA VPN's for Cheap rates with Best Quality..

It allows you to Choose
    Static IP = Same IP every time you connect.
    Dynamic/Shared = IP Changes / Same IP by Multiple User

Unblock websites like Hulu , BBC , Play Multiplayer Games much more anonymous surfing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

kerbdog wrote: »
    Not the most straight forward, I'm fairly sure yea could setup a OpenWRT firmware for a WRT router do the same thing.

Indeed, I believe you could use something like the Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT firmware to connect traffic to the VPN. You're playstation would then be plugged into the Linksys WRT54GL and then the WRT54GL would be plugged into your current modem.

The only thing is that you'd have to physically connect and disconnect the playstation if you wanted it to appear as if it's in Ireland or England/wherever.

Alternatively, just thinking of it now, if the PS3 supports wireless you could share the PCs internet connection through use of an Ad-Hoc network with just a wireless dongle/pci card if the computer is near enough to the playstation. Such a setup would be okay for video streaming as pings aren't really a priority and bandwidth should still be a lot more than is required.

Indeed, I believe you could use something like the Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT firmware to connect traffic to the VPN. You're playstation would then be plugged into the Linksys WRT54GL and then the WRT54GL would be plugged into your current modem.

The only thing is that you'd have to physically connect and disconnect the playstation if you wanted it to appear as if it's in Ireland or England/wherever.

Alternatively, just thinking of it now, if the PS3 supports wireless you could share the PCs internet connection through use of an Ad-Hoc network with just a wireless dongle/pci card if the computer is near enough to the playstation. Such a setup would be okay for video streaming as pings aren't really a priority and bandwidth should still be a lot more than is required.

I've flashed a WRT54G with ww-drt. Any pointers on how I should set this up on that router ? I couldnt figure it out at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I've flashed a WRT54G with ww-drt. Any pointers on how I should set this up on that router ? I couldnt figure it out at all.

You'll need a firmware modded with openvpn so DD-WRT/Tomato/OpenWRT openvpn flavours will all work.

For DD-WRT openvpn see here

I've never actually done this before so I can't verify how well it works but let us know how you get on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 garouth

I just pulled an all nighter getting this to work and I wanted to share my results.

I use Windows 7 with OpenVPN with two network cards. Both network cards in the Windows computer are connected to a router, just a normal router no special VPN hardware. My PS3 is also connected to the same router.

In Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> Change Adapater Settings: I right clicked my TAP adapter from OpenVPN. I've never used another VPN service so I'm not sure how they vary.

Any way, right click the TAP adapter -> Properties -> Sharing (its a tab): in there choose one of your network cards to share your internet connection with and enable sharing.

When you do this, this is going to give one of your network cards an IP address but no gateway.

Open a command prompt and type ipconfig and find out what that address is. It might be something like 192.168.123.1, then again it might be completely different I'm not sure how the innards of Internet Connection Sharing Work.

Turn on your VPN connection.

Go to your PS3 and enter the network settings. I'm too lazy to get all the details about how to get there. Once your there, enter the manual ip setup. For the PS3 IP choose something similar to the IP you found above. If your Network Card on your computer is 192.168.123.1. Then you could use 192.168.123.2.

After that set the default router to 192.168.123.1 (the IP of your network card that is part of Internet Connection Sharing).

You can use Google's DNS if you want 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

After that you should be good to go, Auto the rest of the settings and test your connection.

The biggest down side to this is if you want to use your normal settings you have to reset, and if you wan to go back you have to redo this all over. Well not the Internet Connection Sharing part, but finding the IP and entering the PS3 settings. If anyone knows how to setup multiple IP settings please let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 The Jester

What I do, although not really related but the same technique MAY apply.

On my PC I have TVersity installed, along with Hotspot Shield.

I turn on the PC (which is my media server) and connect to Hotspot shield and and then use my XBOX360 downstairs at the TV to watch HULU via the PC and the US VPN.

:eek: SUDDENLY HULU ON MY TV :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 k2chris

I connect my xbox through a Console Connect from Lamnia VPN. I bought it pre configured just plugged into modem , hey presto UK network in my house!:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,949 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

k2chris wrote: »
    I connect my xbox through a Console Connect from Lamnia VPN. I bought it pre configured just plugged into modem , hey presto UK network in my house!:)

Welcome to boards.ie, but don't go digging up ancient threads. This was from 2 years ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement