Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Working out after tattoo

• 19-11-2014 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭

Hey all. I was just wondering what would people's advice be on working out after a tattoo? I am currently in training for sport, which usually consists of 3 or 4 weights sessions a week, and a few runs. I am looking to get a new tattoo, on my chest, but I don't want a major interruption to the training schedule. What do people recommend in terms of time off?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

The day of the tattoo I'd take off training, if its on your chest, the following day you could train avoiding the tattooed area no benching or OHP or anything where the bar might touch the area, also make sure you keep it covered if your in the gym, broken or compromised skin in the gym is a minefield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I got a tattoo on my calf and was back working out the day after. Squats and kettle bells and trx. Stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Give it a weak tbh, it'll still be an open wound the next day and you want the scabbing/flakey skin gone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

I got my last tattoo on a Saturday afternoon, then waited a week before working out. It was a forearm tattoo so I didn't do as much weight lifting as usual. I didn't want to stretch the skin or anything by extending it too much. Turned out ok, no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

I got a tattoo right across my chest and was back in the gym doing a pretty intensive chest workout 2 days later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I got a tattoo on my ribs and took a week and a half off training. My sports bra does sit right across it though so I was worried about friction, and the possibility of infection from sweat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I think I will give it a week or so before I go back. I have heard of some people working out the next day, or even later the same day, but it seems like it would be uncomfortable at the least! Thanks for all the input!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭burkey85

Got part of a sleeve done on Wednesday, cant do any upper body cause of the bend on my arm, scabs keep breaking :(

Advertisement