Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does X hurt?

• 27-10-2011 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭

So you've decided to get a tattoo, or get X pierced.
    You want to know if it'll hurt?

Yes it will.

You'll be getting a needle through part of your body, or having needles jabbed into your skin thousands of times.
    It's going to hurt.
    Some places it'll hurt a lot.
    Other places you'll hardly feel.
    These places vary from person to person, as everybody is different, and everybody has different pain thresholds too.

If you still want to ask any similar questions, post them here!

Chatty posts moved to OTB. Let's keep this thread on topic folks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Lauren7fold

I know that this thread isn't a question as such, but I'd still like to give my two cents. my first piercing was my earlobes at 8 years old, done with a gun. It hurt a bit, but I was only 8. Did my second and third lobe piercings with a safety pin at 15. It didn't hurt at all. I stretched my first set of lobe piercings, one to 8mm one to 14mm. This hurt quite a bit, as I did it way too quickly. The one i stretched to 14mm "exploded" (it ripped in three different places exposing my cartilage. yes, that hurt A LOT!) I got my septum pierced a few months ago, and it was painless. A lot of people say this is extremely painful, but I found both the piercing and the healing to be very easy. Shortly after, I got my tongue web pierced. The piercing process was painless, however the first few days after that it was quite painful and I couldn't eat at all. I had my nipple pierced this summer, and that was a pretty painful piercing, and the healing was awful (avoid loose clothing! Tight clothes and push up bra's ftw!) The last piercing I got was my conch and I thought it was the most painful! It was my first cartilage piercing and it was sore for almost a month! I love all of them, and they were all worth it!

Btw, I'm going in to get dermal anchors on my chest on Thursday! Anything you guys feel I should know before I go in?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I know that this thread isn't a question as such, but I'd still like to give my two cents. my first piercing was my earlobes at 8 years old, done with a gun. It hurt a bit, but I was only 8. Did my second and third lobe piercings with a safety pin at 15. It didn't hurt at all. I stretched my first set of lobe piercings, one to 8mm one to 14mm. This hurt quite a bit, as I did it way too quickly. The one i stretched to 14mm "exploded" (it ripped in three different places exposing my cartilage. yes, that hurt A LOT!) I got my septum pierced a few months ago, and it was painless. A lot of people say this is extremely painful, but I found both the piercing and the healing to be very easy. Shortly after, I got my tongue web pierced. The piercing process was painless, however the first few days after that it was quite painful and I couldn't eat at all. I had my nipple pierced this summer, and that was a pretty painful piercing, and the healing was awful (avoid loose clothing! Tight clothes and push up bra's ftw!) The last piercing I got was my conch and I thought it was the most painful! It was my first cartilage piercing and it was sore for almost a month! I love all of them, and they were all worth it!

Btw, I'm going in to get dermal anchors on my chest on Thursday! Anything you guys feel I should know before I go in?

You're not supposed to wear push up bra's while your nipple is healing. My piercer told me because it changes the shape of your boobs and can so be detrimental to the healing. I forgot one day a couple of weeks after I got it done and wore one and it was pretty uncomfortable. Just wore normal bras so and it healed without a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Did my second and third lobe piercings with a safety pin at 15.
    Piercing your own lobe with a safety pin is a terrible idea. No matter how punk it makes you feel.

You're not supposed to wear push up bra's while your nipple is healing. My piercer told me because it changes the shape of your boobs and can so be detrimental to the healing. I forgot one day a couple of weeks after I got it done and wore one and it was pretty uncomfortable. Just wore normal bras so and it healed without a problem.

Yeah your advice sounds a lot more intelligent and logical than mine. I just found them to be more comfortable as I have a larger than average chest size, so there was a lot of movement and the push up bra helped keep them still.

Piercing your own lobe with a safety pin is a terrible idea. No matter how punk it makes you feel.

I know :) I meant to add that in actually. I just thought I was so hardcore haha. Thankfully I've grown up and moved on from that phase!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I want to get a simple small black celtic design on the side of my foot to match my sister. She tells me it's a grand area to get done but she's a freak who feels no pain (as proved by the 3 kids she had drug free!)

Just wondering is it a particularly bad area. I know there's no pain free area but I've a pretty low pain threshold and I wanna know what I'm getting into. I've got a few piercings but I image it'll be more like getting a thousand piercings at once...

It's a very different pain to piercings, piercing pain is very sharp and instant, tattoo pain is ... well it's hard to describe tbh!
    Thing about pain too is everyone is different in their sensitivity, I wouldn't have a high pain threshold, but I can bear it if I'm expecting it.
    The foot can be fairly painful for some people. Make sure if you're getting it done that it doesn't come too far down the side of the foot, to where the skin changes to the type of skin on your sole, as that skin will not hold the ink well, and will blur.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Thanks for the advice, it's so wierd to not know what to expect- exciting and terrifying. I think I'll set an appointment to go talk to an artist and see how long will it take to do/prices/healing time etc. Take it from there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

It's a very different pain to piercings, piercing pain is very sharp and instant, tattoo pain is ... well it's hard to describe tbh!

I think I'd describe it as being akin to having the skin peeled off, which when you consider what's happening (needle puncturing your skin many times a second and being dragged around as it does so) it's probably pretty close. Still, a brief bit of pain for something you'll have for the rest of your life, seems like a more than fair trade-off does it not?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 RiddleFinger

hurts like hell, but you want more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

I liken a tattoo to a cat scratching on sun burnt skin. I quite like the feeling though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 alanevo900

its weird but the pain from a piercing is like an adrenaline...i love geting pierced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭antocann

pain varies in places of the body ,
    quiet enjoy it tbh , you just want to keep goin back for more :p

goin in nextweek to get more done , what do people reckon to the pain on the hand ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 johncyrus

Yah your are right! My lobe was pierce by my sister and its very successful btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I want to get an owl on my foot but the thought of it gives me nightmares :P I have those ugly feet with the big pertruding veins aswell.

I got two stars done on my inner bicep, just below my armpit and I personally didn't find it too painful, more like a minor scratching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭antocann

got my hand tattoo'd last week and must say pain was not too bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Anyone got any idea about the healing time of a pubic piercing? Obviously it'll hurt like a bitch. Just wondering for how long though? aprox...

General healing guideline of 6 weeks applies really.

Pain-wise, it depends on what you're getting done. Some hardly hurt at all, some may hurt like slamming it in a car door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Horizontal bar above the penis on the pubic area. I'd like the balls at each end around 1.5 inches apart so I'm guessing the needle is going to hurt like fúck but I'm willing to take the chance. It's just that I had my eyebrow pierced for a year and it never healed. But I never had issues with my tongue or ears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭shannie

In general, I know both are painful, but which would be more painful, tongue or bellybutton? :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Try both, come back and tell us. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

shannie wrote: »
    In general, I know both are painful, but which would be more painful, tongue or bellybutton? :O
    Was born with both body parts, neither hurt tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Personally I found the actual piercing of my belly button more painful than the tongue, but the healing was way worse for the tongue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 oh daphne

can ne1 recommend a good piercer around the dublin area to do a vch n just how painful is it?! healing time?....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

oh daphne wrote: »
    can ne1 recommend a good piercer around the dublin area to do a vch n just how painful is it?! healing time?....
    Seriously did you even read the thread?

snakebite

Arawn wrote: »
    Was born with both body parts, neither hurt tbh

Smart answers never tend to get people anywhere.. Just sayin'.

Personally I found the actual piercing of my belly button more painful than the tongue, but the healing was way worse for the tongue.

How long did it take your tongue to heal and what did it include, like were you not able to eat and that kind of stuff? I'm just so scared about the healing like that I'l get a lisp or something :O

You might but it's only temporary. Seriously, everyone is different in regards of the pain and the healing process.
    Stay away from dairy and spicy stuff, alcohol where possible for the first short while, and suck on ice chips

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

shannie wrote: »
    How long did it take your tongue to heal and what did it include, like were you not able to eat and that kind of stuff? I'm just so scared about the healing like that I'l get a lisp or something :O

Pretty much what Damo said. Everyone heals differently, and everyone reacts differently to piercings.

Your tongue will swell up, which is unpleasant, but not unbearable. Stock up on Nuerophen to help manage the swelling and the pain. I stuck to liquids (soups) for the first few days, then gradually started introducing soft foods and chewed very carefully! Also invest in an alcohol free mouthwash. After about 7 days I was eating normally again, and that was airing on the side of caution. I never developed a lisp, but that could just be luck!

Advertisement