Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Smoky coal

Options
  • 12-02-2010 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,490 ✭✭✭✭

Who enforces the ban on smoky coal? I am seeing more houses with thick smoke coming from their chimneys (in Dundalk). On calm frosty nights the smog is noticeable in some areas. Is it illegal to sell smoky coal and can someone be prosecuted for burning it in Dublin, Cork etc?

If I remember correctly there was far less smoke/smog after the ban until 2 or 3 years ago, anyone else notice this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I think smokeless coal is only sold in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

All I know is that you can't buy anything but smokeless coal in Galway - that said if I buy smoky coal at home in Clare and burn it in the fire in Galway cant see the cops, or whomever knocking on my door!!!

Damn shame its not enforced...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

16 cities/towns have a ban on it....

(Dublin from 1990, Cork 1995, Arklow, Drogheda, Dundalk, Limerick and Wexford 1998, Celbridge, Galway, Leixlip, Naas and Waterford 2000, Bray, Kilkenny, Sligo and Tralee 2003)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Only the sale of it is banned. Unlike in the UK It is still perfectly legal to use coal one has personally "imported" from outside the smoke control area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JJOG

The Air Pollution Act introduced the original ban in Dublin in 1990s but it's been expanded in the meantime and is now in 26 urban areas including all cities and towns with a population greater than 15k. Since 2012 the regulations also ban the burning of smoky coal to complement the ban on sale. The local authority enforces the legislation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Please don't drag up threads that are over four and a half years old - it's likely much of the information is out of date by now.

Better to start a new thread on the topic, if you wish.

Ta.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement