Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,005 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Word all week is that SOB wont make the game, but is named.

Hope its not a "dummy team". We never named a dummy team before, no need to start doing it now. Hate that ****e.

The SOB situation is interesting.

Why is he playing.

Is it because he is not as badly injured as first thought, and his withdrawal on the day was an overreaction by the Kerry bench ?

Is it because Fitzmaurice has more faith in a guy that is less than 100% to start the game than the guys on his bench ?

I wonder what the sub strategy will be if he cannot stay on the field yo half time.
    Will Declan be first in or will he go for Star, BJK or O Leary and shuffle accordingly.

It will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'd be surprised if he's even togged out on the day. Maybe he's named pending a fitness test the morning of, but I doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Based on the last two matches, BJK should start instead of O'Brien if he's injured - big impact on both matches I thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

D'Agger wrote: »
    Based on the last two matches, BJK should start instead of O'Brien if he's injured - big impact on both matches I thought

Can't disgree with that. BJK needs to show consistency, 2 good impacts as a sub is a start

I'm obviously biased, but I don't think there have been too many occasions on which he was given a decent chance to make an impact and failed to do so.

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    I'm obviously biased, but I don't think there have been too many occasions on which he was given a decent chance to make an impact and failed to do so.
    Still a young player in fairness - for a guy of his age he has plenty of experience so at some stage you'd expect him to step up - I think he can be happy with how he's performed this year, you'd imagine he'd be chomping at the bit to start so why not give him a shot and keep Declan in reserve for the last 20mins or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Kilmoyley beat Ballyduff in the SH championship.

Mankind is safe for another year:-D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Speaking to a well connected member in and around the kerry set up he has informed me that Stephen O'Brien is definitely out, and the team announced could well be very different from what lines out when the ball is thrown in tomorrow evening. Barry John to start, and Darran O'Sullivan to be sprung from the bench. Donaghy also in contention.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

buyer95 wrote: »
    Speaking to a well connected member in and around the kerry set up he has informed me that Stephen O'Brien is definitely out, and the team announced could well be very different from what lines out when the ball is thrown in tomorrow evening. Barry John to start, and Darran O'Sullivan to be sprung from the bench. Donaghy also in contention.

If thats the case why was he named to start, whats that going to achieve. Its not as if mayo wont be prepared for any kerry selection whether that is the start of the game or late on. I am sure they have plans for donaghy as he will be on anyway at some stage. Seems strange to me especially as Fitz is not a fan of dummy teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

I have two stand tickets to sell, premium spot 8 rows up in section 218, face value but will only sell to a Kerry person and a regular on here. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,005 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

sammy37 wrote: »
    If thats the case why was he named to start, whats that going to achieve. Its not as if mayo wont be prepared for any kerry selection whether that is the start of the game or late on. I am sure they have plans for donaghy as he will be on anyway at some stage. Seems strange to me especially as Fitz is not a fan of dummy teams.

Exactly.

It could be a case that he is real borderline and they want to leave it as late as possible, but then you run the risk of him having to go off early again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

sammy37 wrote: »

"Prepared for any selection?" Mayo didn't seem very prepared for Donaghy last weekend. Cafferky and others stood and watched as he fielded 2 great balls which resulted in Kerry scoring 1-1. O Brien is definitely out.

Great team win. Great heart shown. Fair play to all of em.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,319 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Epic game. Great win for ye. Thought the ref gave a number of soft scorable frees to Kerry though and in a tight game it meant a lot.
    Super fitness by both teams. Hopefully Dublin will win tomorrow. Dub v Kerry is the final I would like to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Poor reffing IMO. The heart said Mayo but the Brain Kerry as they may have the capacity to give the Dubs a game.

Gonna watch the papers tomorrow to see who yer man was that invaded the pitch. Funny to watch, what had to be the daughter shouting at him as the Stewards dragged him off. I can hear her now "Daddy, daddy for f♤cks sake you're embarrassing us".

^ lol

What a game. So physical and fair dues to the ref for allowing the game to flow - he got some calls wrong that went Kerrys way I thought but got the pens right I think and allowed for a spectacle of a match.

I thought Crowley & Moran were phenomenal, Kilkenny & Griffin when they came on, Sheehan too proved a good outlet & what about the points from Lyne.

Two great games, hard luck to Mayo but can't wait to watch the match tomorrow knowing we're playing the winner in Croker on the 3rd Sunday in September :D H'on the Kingdom!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

Moran was outstanding, should have been motm
    Amazing edge of the seat stuff, delighted to be back in a final, Will Mayo ever get their winners medals, huge credit to them, they just ran out of steam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

wonga77 wrote: »
    Moran was outstanding, should have been motm
    Amazing edge of the seat stuff, delighted to be back in a final, Will Mayo ever get their winners medals, huge credit to them, they just ran out of steam

Not now. Missed too many buses!

D'Agger wrote: »
    ^ lol

What a game. So physical and fair dues to the ref for allowing the game to flow - he got some calls wrong that went Kerrys way I thought but got the pens right I think and allowed for a spectacle of a match.

I thought Crowley & Moran were phenomenal, Kilkenny & Griffin when they came on, Sheehan too proved a good outlet & what about the points from Lyne.

Two great games, hard luck to Mayo but can't wait to watch the match tomorrow knowing we're playing the winner in Croker on the 3rd Sunday in September :D H'on the Kingdom!!

Yeah how David wasn't MOTM in either game is unreal, you're right in saying Crowley was super today as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Given that Colm Cooper was togged out today wearing number 28 on the bench today, what are the chances him being back for the final?

Given that Colm Cooper was togged out today wearing number 28 on the bench today, what are the chances him being back for the final?

Slim to none. No match fitness and you can't rush back from an injury like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Well done, about time we dug deep and came through a game like that instead of being on the losing side, let's hope we go all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Moran has been shafted out of two MOTM awards now. Aidan O Mahony but in a good shift too for an auld fella i thought.

If you'd said to me two weeks ago that Kerry would win a game of attrition like that against Mayo i'd have laughed but thats what happened. Fought them to a standstill.

I was wrong about Donaghy too. He had a super game and Kerry varied the game perfectly to get the most out of him. Just why Horan left Ger Cafferkey on him for 68 minutes is an absolute mystery though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

'Ye'll never bate the kingdom' as one fan roared out on the way out of Limerick. Maybe not today, but sure we gave it a good go. Ah well until we meet again... Epic battles and ye deserved to win the (mini) war in the end regardless of that 'fine' refereeing display. Best of the luck in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

So proud of the lads. Just back in Dublin now. Will write more tomorrow, but the overwriting emotion is pride.

Ref was atrocious for both sides and let loads slide. Enright got a yellow for an incident involving AOM, but then should have walked for his could for the penalty. Donaghy was being fouled all game, got a few frees but could have had 7 or so more. Fracas at the end were an embarrassment and not how I'd like to see our lads carry on, but I'd forgive them anything after that display.

Hats off to Mayo who showed great heart and have some great footballers. I'd hope their ship hasn't sailed. They should be proud of their lads as well. Both sets of players died for their team on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭acequion

Thrilled and feeling extremely proud of our boys both today and last Sunday.Too giddy and emotional right now to say much.But after a tough few years and quite a few gut wrenching close defeats, it's wonderful to be back to winning ways.:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

keane2097 wrote: »
    Yeah how David wasn't MOTM in either game is unreal, you're right in saying Crowley was super today as well.

He was good, got caught out for the second goal though and lucky for kerry AOS (his man IMO) was bunched for the second half (what he played)

David was super alright , SOS was well beaten and needed to be, they would have been better moving him in on Donaghy as he was not doing the business in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

Worth reiterating the Kerry bench really did well (albeit with some wides kicked). Lyne, sheehan, kilkenny and marc were all crucial to winning this game. If we don't have injuries for the final, the selectors have a welcome headache picking the team. David Moran is playing out of his skin. If Dublin win today, Moran on MDM would be some battle.

• Advertisement

Did AOM get the MOTM award over Moran? That's a strange call, a dog on the street could tell you Moran was the best player on the pitch!

Delighted for him given his injuries over the past few years stunting his development somewhat - a fantastic player and I hope he continues his form & not just this year either.

Kilkenny has actually put himself in contention for the final over Enright I think - he was superb.

Buckley was poor enough throughout I thought - barring a bit hit on O'Shea in the first half, he needed to be more involved for a CF

We did very well on breaks - having Geaney on for the full match helped that, Murphy too did well in that dept. also - a man who's 2nd half performance I criticised in the first match (and still stand by :) ) Walsh was a brilliant outlet for the backline & MF in the 2nd half yesterday - got on the ball over and over again

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement