Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to go in Ireland

• 19-10-2008 3:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Katie23

I am planning a trip to Ireland in March 2010. I have done some research on different areas but would like some personal thoughts and ideas from people on where to go and what to see. I will be traveling alone so I would like to know what areas to avoid and any other safety issues I should be aware of. Thank you. Katie

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭girl_friday

Most places are safe so you'll be fine. How long would you be here for and is there anywhere in particular that you would like to see?? You're planning very far in advance!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Katie23

I always like to plan my trips in advance. I figure a year and a half would give me time to plan and to research as much as possible. I would like to start my journey in Dublin and go from there. I will be in Ireland for 7 weeks to experience the arts and culture and to learn about the history of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moved from The Ladies Lounge

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

Hi Katie,

I recently did 2 one weeks trips to Ireland (I enjoyed it so much the first time that I had to go back... and am now in the process planning to immigrate) so I have no doubt you'll have a great time. The places that I went to and thoroughly enjoyed were: Dublin, Londonderry/Derry, Belfast, Giant's Causeway, Larrybane (Carrick-a-rede), Galway, The Burren, Doolin, The Cliffs of Moher, Limerick, Annascaul, Dingle, Killarney, Cork, Kilkenny. I suggest purchasing a Lonely Planet guide, I found it to be very helpful. The first trip was on a Paddywagon tour- which was good for a quick snapshot of the country, but a lot is crammed in such a short peroid of time, that it doesn't do Ireland justice... hence my second visit, where a friend and I hired a car and even then I didn't see enough. I never felt unsafe in the Republic, but to be honest I was a little on edge in Belfast (but I put it down to listening to dramatic and negative people- I never encountered any issues and everyone I met was lovely.)

If you want any particular details, please feel free to PM me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

sounds like great craic, OP, im actually a little jealous that i never got round to doing, but i have seen a bit of the country, and i think, if you want to learn about the country, see some of the natural beauty, and learn about our history, starting in dublin will be great, as there are tonnes of museums/guided tours etc etc. but my personal favourite bits of the country are all down the west, the ruggedness of donegal, the sheer beauty of clare's burren, and the ailwee caves, the gaeltacht areas of galway, the ring of kerry, the aran islands, those spiky islands off the ring of kerry... monks lived there... dammit, i can't remember their names, but i do distinctly remember my knee crumbling under the prsesure of trying to climb to the top of one of them to see the monastary.

an ex-housemate of mine was big into his historical buildings, i know leixlilp's guinness castle was one, he had tonnes of books and belonged to a georgian buildings society or something like that aswell, maybe google into that a bit, see if you can talk to anyone from the society about buildings that might be of interest, and maybe even getting a guided tour (no harm in trying ;) )

whatever town you're in, there's no harm asking about local bits of history etc. im from leixlip, and we have the wonderful barn and connolly's folly/the obelisk which are pretty interesting buildings, and i would never know about them if i hadnt grown up in that area. im sure there must be heaps of stuff like that all over the country.

edit: just read the post above... and im not sure i could recommend the cliffs of moher anymore. i havent been since they 'modernised' teh whole thing, but ive heard absolutely nothign good about it, and i absolutely loved the cliffs of moher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

where to go depends on your taste, the best scenery in ireland is on the west coast in counties donegal, sligo, mayo, galway, clare and kerry.

if i were you i would spend a week or two in dublin (plenty of time to check out neighbouring counties like wicklow and louth). i would then spend the majority of my time on the west coast with galway city (population 80,000) being my base. inishowen peninsula in donegal, connemara in west galway, achill island in west mayo and the burren area of county clare are must dos while in the west of ireland

spend a while in derry city (population 110,000), the nearby north antrim coast is stunning. giants causeway is world known site and the town of bushmills has the worlds oldest whiskey distillery, tours are very informative. if you are brave enough try walking across carrick a reed rope bridge http://www.duffus.org/photos/d/9577-2/cimg0160.jpg

cork city (190,000) is the biggest city in the south, killarney is the most tourist friendly town in that area.

regards safety try to blend in as much as possible in the bigger cities especially dublin. crime such as pickpocketing though rare still happens in crowds so be aware of your possessions in places where large crowds gather like watching street performances on grafton street e.g. in northern ireland religion and politics are still major issues, obviously don't get into an argument about nationalism and unionism in places like derry/belfast or coleraine. on weekend nights in large towns and cities try to leave pubs and clubs earlier as there is a big rush for taxis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

One thing i realised when i was in Australia was that i havnt been to any of the good sights in Ireland. I got this from every 2nd person asking me whether i have been here or here.
    When i came back RTE (our national tv provider) coincidently had the top 10 vistas in Ireland.

check out: http://www.samhail.com/articles/index.php?p=top10vistas

And no... i still havnt been to one of them ! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Crash

3 out of 10, thats kinda sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

7/10. though i spent most of my childhood summers in other donegal hills and fields and beaches, not fmailiar with twelve pins, but conamara is a truly beautiful bit of the country, and the gaeilge there's not too shabby etiher ;D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Buzzmund

the best place to go in Ireland is to Dublin airport and when you get there get a flight to somwhere nice, be creative..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭ Agustin Fit Hitch

go to kinsale...a restaurent called Jola's...its one of the best i've eaten in in ireland, no exaggeration

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭pawrick

wouldn't be worried about travelling alone in Ireland once you take the normal precautions and be sensible just like in any other country.

had two people visiting for a week not so long ago and they wanted to drive along the coast from Dublin to Cork via Donegal in a week - they had a great time but only made it to Clare since they planned too much in too short a space of time.

Agree with every one else here and I would definitely try to base myself in Galway for the west coast and Killarney or Cork for the south West. You'll find you spend most of your time in Dublin/Galway as they are the best for being close to lots of things.

When in Dublin do a day trip to Glendalough - there is a bus service direct from the city centre. nice place to go for a walk + lots of marked routes
    Also Kilkenny castle is a short trip from Dublin and it's a nice spot to kill some time. Do the usual in Dublin - National Art gallery, Dublin Castle and go for a walk along the canal on the south side if the weather is good. (not raining being good). there are a lot of hostels on the north side - if staying in a hostel make sure to check it out especially the location - some dodgy spots on the north side of the city near some hostels - safe but not very comfortable for walking around at night.

Galway - well the city is tiny but fun, some hostels off the main going out street Quay Street I think. Lots of B&B's around also but it can be pricey for even low standards. You will be certain to make friends in Galway - just go to a pub with live music. Galway is very near the Cliffs of Moher which is a good spot to take some time out, stop off in some of the villages along the way - many have farmers markets on a Sunday where you can have a chat with the locals. While in Galway also try to get to see Connemara and some of the Irish speaking areas, some nice secluded beaches and wilderness.

useful website with places listing places to see - built & natural heritage

http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/

www.hostelworld.com - hotels/B&B's/Hostels and reviews etc. good site

too many places to list tbh - depends on how long you have and what you're in to - if you have your own car while here do the ring of Kerry and Donegal if in to scenery - avoid the locals though, something not quiet right ;)

oh and go to Athlone! em we have a river.....not a lot to see there but hey gotta promote the home town! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

yeah if your looking for what people think ireland is you need to goto Connemara. straight west from Galway along the coast road, out by clifden, and back to galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

No 1 place to avoid is Limerick City Centre itself is kindo of rough - if you dont know where to go. Sorry to all Limerick people but I lived there for 4 years.Its OK But I wouldnt wander around at night.But it has whole Shannon estuary area and is adjacent to Clare and is quite pretty

I would avoid kerry because its very over rated.Connemara can be bleak in the winter or if the weather is crap but Galway itself is nice..

You havent said what time of year you are coming in, how you will be traveling (car ,public transport etc or what.

For galleries museums and stuff - Dublin is fine and dandy for a few days - but it also is a shopping mall.Head towards Cork via Kilkenny is a nice trip.

Scenery - Wicklow and Glendalough are lovely if you are driving.Especially Wicklow town etc. You could spend a day or 2 doing it before heading south.

Kilkenny has a lovely castle and there are many nice areas such as Lismore co waterford etc which isnt plastic tourism and fairly nice.

On from that you have Cork City - Try Youghal a walled Medieval Town with a historic Church etc there St Marys Collegiate Church. Home of Walter Raleigh and Boyle of Boyles Law. Ardmore has the finest Irish round tower.

I would say the Munster area would be a lot more fun and lest plastic tourism - Kerry etc is fine if you are on a coach trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

I would recommend Dundalk. With it's eclectic mix of industrial decline, banditry and petro-smuggling wealth it would certainly be an interesting place to visit. Lonely Planet described it as 'not as bleak as it once was'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

if your passing sligo carrowmore megalithic tombs and knockrae mountain is worth a visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Tallaght for the Crack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Katie23

Thank you to everyone for your information! You all have been so helpful and it has helped me so much in the planning for my trip. Katie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Katie23 wrote: »
    I am planning a trip to Ireland in March 2010. I have done some research on different areas but would like some personal thoughts and ideas from people on where to go and what to see. I will be traveling alone so I would like to know what areas to avoid and any other safety issues I should be aware of. Thank you. Katie

Well make sure to avoid the bitter and bloody war that still exists across our countryside to this day.

sorry, just takin a pop at the some of the very many idiotic tourists that believes this is still the case.

Not of course, yourself.

Enjoy your trip.

By the way, theres a nice town in Carlow called Borris which has recently seen the development of a boutique hotel, the town offers great walks and although a very small one as some great pubs which are always busy!

Advertisement