Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grocery Shopping with your male half?

• 15-10-2008 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

How does grocery shopping go with your male half? Does he go?

My OH insists on joining me and i hate it, he is such an impulse buyer, he throws all sorts of stuff into the trolley, things we really can't afford, and things we really don't need! So i snap at him not to be stupid, or we have that under the sink at home, or we don't bloody need that .... next thing i get glares from other shoppers, i can see they are thinking, "What a b""ch" but i really am not, its just the one place in the world he tries my patience. Someone has to be sensible right? :D

Comments

Aw no I think it's nice that he goes with you, and you shouldn't really tell him not to be buying stuff he wants because it's his house too (premsumably) Sensible can be boring sometimes. That said, i do see where you're coming from but I would leave him to it, he obviously enjoys it and unless you're really strapped for cash and he's buying random boys toys every time you go then he's not really doing any harm.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

He does all the shopping though I go along with him - he is always trying to get me to buy food to eat (am a really bad eater). We do kiss all the time though (like we would in public and in private elsewhere), we also exchange witty banter. We go to a really nice store so they are used to us.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Why do ye always spend sooooo looooooong reading all the labels? Why?

so we can stay looking good for the likes of you!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

She Devil wrote: »
    How does grocery shopping go with your male half? Does he go?

i snap at him not to be stupid, next thing i get glares from other shoppers, i can see they are thinking, "What a b""ch"

Nosy pricks none of their business, ask them if they would like to pay for what he wants seen as they are so concerned:D

My OH insists on coming shopping with me, its either cos i forget half the stuff or he thinks ill get attacked in tescos:confused: One thing i hate tho is the second we get in the door hes grabbn my arse, draping his arms around me, kissn me every 2 seconds, its like hes staking a claim on me, after nearly 5 years its bloody headwreaking ha

Last week while we were shopping it was one of the few times he didnt have his arms draped around me, walked into the frozen food aisle, and saw my ex there, all of a sudden hes pulling and dragging outta me like a child, WTF? Men!!!

• Advertisement

so we can stay looking good for the likes of you!!!

How is reading every ingredient on a god-danged packet of rashers going to make you more attractive to the OH?!

What Cathy....You kiss while shopping? :confused:

I cringe when I see people using the weekly shop as couple time.

It is and always will be me time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Its normally quite stressful coz hes not used to shopping with the kids so he gets freaked out once the kids start acting up,,usually end up in the alcohol aisle by the end of it all:D

Redpunto wrote: »
    Its normally quite stressful coz hes not used to shopping with the kids so he gets freaked out once the kids start acting up,,usually end up in the alcohol aisle by the end of it all:D

Would leaving him minding the kids at home, so that you can escape the lot of them for a while. Not be at all tempting?

How is reading every ingredient on a god-danged packet of rashers going to make you more attractive to the OH?!

okey dokey, possible blonde moment then :o

assumed you were a bloke who had wandered in the door!

see, by reading the back of everything we know if they've too much fat or sugar so's not to make us fat, or not too much bad stuff to give us nasty skin or yucky cellulite! but if your a girl you know this already so don't know why i'm explaining, hmmm, :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Moonbaby wrote: »
    What Cathy....You kiss while shopping? :confused:

I cringe when I see people using the weekly shop as couple time.

It is and always will be me time.
    Yes we kiss every few minutes while shopping, though it might only be a peck on the cheek. We dont do time apart well, plus, while I trust him I like to see what is in the shops to try and make me hungry.

Ok I'm a great believer that pdas have a time and place.
    Patty fingers in the produce section wouldn't be my thing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

We both normally go shopping together to local fruit & veg places. I disappear off to the butchers while he's examining some aubergine (he's vegan) and I appear back whistling with a nice free-range chicken in the bag :)

But we just started an organic fruit & veg box order that will be delivered every week to the door-woohoo! Then it will be down to the local shop just for packaged goods like dairy, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

The few times there needs to be shopping done I go as otherwise there'll end up being feck all meat and too much stuff like chocolate, yoghurt and fruit that never gets used up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

Yeah we kiss while shopping to :D we get on really well, but its just in the supermarket that makes me lose my patience with him, :D Usually i try to stuff his face before we go just so he doesnt think he needs everything, the other day he found burger sauce for chicken burgers he thought it was a great idea, and real cheap to, He doesn't eat chicken burgers!!!! Our presses are full of food he thought he might like and hasn't even opened, we aren't in a position to be able to shop like that at the moment, money is tight! I feel like the mean one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

I prefer to go on my own as I am super fast going around the aisles getting only what we need.

When he comes with me (especially to the likes to Lidl/Aldi) he spends the time looking at power tools or whatever offers they have that week and we end up spending waaaaay too much time in the supermarket. Really annoys me! :mad:

She Devil wrote: »
    Yeah we kiss while shopping to :D we get on really well, but its just in the supermarket that makes me lose my patience with him, :D Usually i try to stuff his face before we go just so he doesnt think he needs everything, the other day he found burger sauce for chicken burgers he thought it was a great idea, and real cheap to, He doesn't eat chicken burgers!!!! Our presses are full of food he thought he might like and hasn't even opened, we aren't in a position to be able to shop like that at the moment, money is tight! I feel like the mean one :(

well then I do see your problem! the reason I probably am sticking up for him is because me and my husband are the other way round! I'm usually the one who spends loads of time in the supermarket buying lots of chocolate and biscuits (all for him mind you!) He likes to get it done quick but usually after he does the shopping he'll be looking in the cupboards saying there's nothing to eat, so when I go, I like to bring him home loads of food to keep him happy!

One thing I'm a bit upset about thought is that my husband would never kiss me in the supermarket *sniff*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

My mother and I do the shopping together regularly, last week we brought my brother and it was so frustrating, he kept switching things from the trolley, we ended up with loads of junk and not a lot of fruit and veg, and he got over-excited in the alcohol aisle and tried to switch my bottle of wine for a different one.

Rozabeez wrote: »
    My mother and I do the shopping together regularly, last week we brought my brother and it was so frustrating, he kept switching things from the trolley, we ended up with loads of junk and not a lot of fruit and veg, and he got over-excited in the alcohol aisle and tried to switch my bottle of wine for a different one.

I had to bring my dad last week. He lasted 4 and half minutes....and even then couldn't go ten seconds without chucking a hissy.
    Why was I scanning the shelves, why was I looking at things that weren't food, Why was I thinking about purchases, God this is boring, How much longer etc. etc.
    I did us both a favour and sent him off to chat up the other manly types outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

Shopping with OH (and kids) no way, its all about ME ME ME ME ME, its my time and I won't share it with any of them, unless of course he is buying me something, even then its all about ME :D:D:D:D

When we got married first it was lovely and romantic, shopping together one hand each on the trolley (turning green now) deciding together what to buy - 17 years later we'd probably run each other down with the trolley :D shopping is the only time I have to myself :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Would leaving him minding the kids at home, so that you can escape the lot of them for a while. Not be at all tempting?

Ohhhh yehhh, try to do that as much as possible but he has this thing that when we're together we should as much time together as possible and not split the family up at the weekend even if it means total melt down :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Me and my OH going shopping together every week. Usually we make a list though and plan our dinners for the week and that way we don't (most of the time) buy things that we don't really need. Trying our best to stick to a budget and not waste the small amount of money that the government has us left with!!!!
    Cathy I totally get the kissing in the shops thing :) We do that too... Although not as much as we used to :(

Cathy I totally get the kissing in the shops thing :)

Please explain it to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

I think it's just the doing things together as a couple... Love being with him and I guess I like everyone else to know that I'm with him too :D:D:D

Please explain it to me?
    :eek:
    You mean you wouldn't kiss Cathy in the shop?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

We often go together. A lot more sweet things/junk seems to make it in if we go together. We do most things together and food shopping is no exception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Is "shop" a slang term for something else ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

He does all the grocery shopping. I hate shopping and always find it stressful. Packed store and queue's out the door. It's painful! I have no patience and I usually end up taking his head off over stupid little things and it always ends with him saying "I'm never bringing you shopping with me again!" when he's lost patience. Which always makes me laugh because I remember my mother saying the same thing to me as a child. :rolleyes: It does come in handy though when he attempts to persuade me to come shopping with him again a couple of weeks later and I can remind him of what a disaster the last time was.

As for kissing in there. I'm affectionate when out and about, I'll hold hands and there will be all those random touches that couples usually have. But I don't really do kissing unless we're parting ways. And if I were trying to do the shopping and he wanted to do all that lovey dovey stuff, I'd end up choking him because the last thing I'd need is someone pulling out of me! I'd end up telling him to get out of my personal space. It has been said that I am an incredible bitch sometimes though and that is the truth. IMO, grocery shopping is not the place for romantic lovey dovey crap. (Gosh I sound like a sour cow! :D)

But then, our usual way of dealing with each other is to trade insults, all in good fun of course which is obvious as we're laughing at each other but I guess we're just not really one of those lovey dovey couple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

Myself & OH do the grocery shop together. We have a system going at this stage. I have the dinners and lunches for the week planned and we decide on other things as we go. If he was in charge of it we would be living on jaffa cakes :D

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Meh, I've had exes in the past who have thrown tantrums about going shopping, the way I see it is IF you're eating it, using it etc. you should be coming shopping, WE should be doing the shopping, or at least taking turns. I'm noones mother.
    These days its all sweetness and light, and very straightforward, so a lot less stressful:D.

Advertisement