Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

doing theory test soon and need some advice and whatnot

Options
  • 03-03-2013 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Im taking my theory test exam on the 21st this month. I have no idea how to study for it or what questions will come up lol. can somebody please tell me or give me tips or advice?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Brasso

There's an online sample test, here:http://www.quizglobal.com/ViewQuizByID.aspx?QuizID=161
    Doing the test a few times shoud give you a good idea as to the content of the actual thing. I'd also advise reading the rules of the road.

When I did the test I skimmed through the CD Rom and book that I'd bought to prepare. Spent 10-15 minutes here and there just flicking through it. I didn't have (and still don't really have) any interest in actual driving, so I wasn't too bothered, however, I was (and remain) aware that it's getting more and more difficult to get a driving license as every day/year passes with more laws and requirements, etc.

So I sat the theory test, was given a load of questions that were overly technical and failed it. Silly questions like stopping distance in rain and then followed up by other questions in the same vein that you'd really need to know your stuff for.

Second time I sat it I got a bunch of really stupid questions. Things like "what does this sign mean" and a picture of a STOP sign :rolleyes: . So I flew past it that time and got only one question wrong as far as I know.

So my advice is to just wing it. You might have to do it a few times but you'll eventually pass it.

Unless you're really into the whole rules of the road thing, or plan to at any point be a professional driver in any capacity, I wouldn't be too bothered learning intricate details of stopping distances, etc. So far, from what I can see, a bit of cop on and common sense is all you really need to drive without killing anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭The_Nipper_One

get the book with all the questions and answers.

Sit down infront of the computer and read through the questions one by one.

Get something which you can slide down the page so you can read the question first. Have a go at answering using your own common sense and then read the answer the book gives. A lot of them really are just bog standard common sense.

If the answer you gave in your own words matches up close enough to the one in the book then move on to the next one. If however you're stumped or give an answer which is totally wrong, then type it out into a document on the computer with the answer underneath. Go through all the questions like this, and when you're finished you'll have a nice concise collection of all the ones you actually NEED to study in a single document, so you don't end up going through the book the whole time looking for the ones you had difficulty on.

It's handy to take any numeric answers and put them in this document aswell in their own section (tread depth, stopping distances, etc). It pays to put a bit more effort into learning these as they are probably the only questions in the test which you don't have some wiggle room with; you either know the numbers or you don't.

As for the signs, theyre not too difficult at all. Something you can do to practice them is name out all the signs you pass if someone is giving you a lift somewhere. After you have looked at them all in the book of course.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭WhiteRose90

I passed my theory test by getting the cd rom and doing an hour of it nearly every day. Any monre than an hour and you won't really remember anything. After a little while you'll notice a pattern and remember the questions and answers better through repetition. Just try to keep going through the cd rom as much as you can like I did and you should get it. (I like being on the computer though so if you prefer reading then try an hour of that a day). Hope this helps and good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

So my advice is to just wing it. You might have to do it a few times but you'll eventually pass it.

That is a daft piece of advice imo. Why on earth would someone want to "wing a test", fail it and have to take it over and over again and "pass it eventually" unless they had unlimited amounts of time and money to waste?

OP, the theory test is not hard to pass, if you put a little bit of effort into it. The study aid comes in two forms, a booklet and a CD rom. Each one contains all the possible answers and questions on the test. Your local library should have one or the other or both. The book is fine but the disc is better imo because it is interactive. You move onto each page by clicking your mouse, and when you want to test your self, you use your mouse to select each answer. You can do mock tests over and over & it keeps track of your scores as you go. It follows roughly the same format as the test itself. In the real test, you'll be looking at a computer screen and selecting your answers electronically too. It's not rocket science, but the more familiarity you have with the format of the test itself, the less chance there is of your making a mistake on test day imo.

Most of the questions are indeed common sense, but there a few that could stump you, such as road signs you may not be familiar with, or stopping times. You'll be asked 40 questions (I think) on the real theory test. If you get more than 5 wrong you'll fail, so there isn't a whole lot of wiggle room really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

KKV wrote: »
    When I did the test I skimmed through the CD Rom and book that I'd bought to prepare. Spent 10-15 minutes here and there just flicking through it. I didn't have (and still don't really have) any interest in actual driving, so I wasn't too bothered, however, I was (and remain) aware that it's getting more and more difficult to get a driving license as every day/year passes with more laws and requirements, etc.

So I sat the theory test, was given a load of questions that were overly technical and failed it. Silly questions like stopping distance in rain and then followed up by other questions in the same vein that you'd really need to know your stuff for.
    That was your problem, not studying enough- the technical questions aren't hard once you study a wee bit for them and it's good to know them anyways because the tester is well within his rights to ask you them in the actual test anyway (never mind when you'll actually be out driving). Like any other exam if you put the effort in you'll pass. It's not that hard at the end of the day and doing the CD over and over you'll get to know all the answers by heart.

I did one test a day on the CD for about a fortnight before the test and flew it first time which included a mix of technical and obvious answers.

Advertisement