Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Time to Tone up!

• 13-10-2008 1:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Pilates, yoga or aerobics to tone up?
    Any recommendations ladies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I haven't a clue what Pilates is, and the my image of yoga doesn't seem like the type of thing to tone you up as say aerobics but sure, what do i know ?! So i'd say go for aerobics :D

Totally unhelpful, but there ya go ! :pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭girl_friday

Apparently yogalates is the way to go as it combines the most effective elements of both yoga and pilates but not sure where you would find a class!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Pilates, yoga or aerobics to tone up?
    Any recommendations ladies?

Resistance training and a healthy eating plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Pyr0 wrote: »
    I haven't a clue what Pilates is, and the my image of yoga doesn't seem like the type of thing to tone you up as say aerobics but sure, what do i know ?! So i'd say go for aerobics :D

Totally unhelpful, but there ya go ! :pac:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilates

Yoga can be very intense as the poses really stretch and crunch muscles, it may look all easy posing but trust me it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

Pilates seem to be in... I know a few people doing that, but generally I hear people ending up doing yoga

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Pilates will tone you up and get you quite flexible, tbh i'd go with whichever you have more fun doing. :)

And also agree with G'em, she knows her shtuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Cherryice

would you try aqua aerobics??

I took up a class few weeks ago and luv it!! its great fun and theres variety in the excercises each week. I find aswell because your in the water its much easier to keep going for the full hour (Keeps you cool!), know i definately wouldnt be able for the same session outside of the pool. Also if you cant do an excercise or struggle with one its not as obvious to others.
    As for toning up - working for me!! prob take a bit longer than resistance or other ways but im enjoying this - just wish i could be as dedicated to and enjoy as much stickig to healthy eating!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Any physical activity that you take on will help to improve your body composition if you have been largely sedentary until now.

However, the improvements will be very limited unless you make positive changes to your diet as well.

For me, for value for money, I would agree with G'em and say that resistance training, coupled with a good diet will give you the best results. Things like Pilates and Yoga etc are excellent for added benefits likes flexinibility but in my experience this is nothing that cannot be achieved with a bit of extra work after your resistance training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Just to reiterate, G'em and Dragan are pretty much spot on! Good advice to follow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

you could try circuit training.
    mixs resistance training with aerobic training and is very intense.
    i teach a class myself, so if you'd like to know more just pm me.

as dragan and g'em said what you eat is very important.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭LG26

Hi there

Spinning classes are the best, I swear by them. At least 2 classes a week, it is fantastic for toning up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭*Dallas

everybody is different.. personally i never got in to pilates and i dont like the gym.

I've started doing the Jordan workout dvd.. dont laugh!!

Jordan is crap and im not a fan of her, but her trainer Richard is brilliant!! I've started doing it every 2/3 days. the muscle pain is unreal ( in a good way) ive started working out muscles i thought had permanently retired :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Another suggestion would be bodypump if it's available in your area. My OH's mother teaches it in the UL Arena.... She's in fantastic shape for a woman who has 3 adult children!!! She also does spinning classes and pilates and she does a dance class which is a mix of salsa and hip hop

Advertisement