Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing a masters in The U.S.A

• 10-03-2015 3:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi,

I am thinking of doing a masters in the U.S. I have a BSc in Microbiology and one years experience in the field. Is there anyone out there that can tell me about the process for applying? is it difficult to get accepted? What are the costs?

I want to do one in California as I am currently working here on a graduate visa and really enjoying it. The cost of a masters here is my main concern.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

brenchy wrote: »
    Hi,

I am thinking of doing a masters in the U.S. I have a BSc in Microbiology and one years experience in the field. Is there anyone out there that can tell me about the process for applying? is it difficult to get accepted? What are the costs?

I want to do one in California as I am currently working here on a graduate visa and really enjoying it. The cost of a masters here is my main concern.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)

If you can get funding it may not cost you anything. Start by looking at some programs and email graduate admissions. They may be able to tell you if they would have RA/TA funding that may help.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭davwain

Darren1o1 wrote: »
    If you can get funding it may not cost you anything. Start by looking at some programs and email graduate admissions. They may be able to tell you if they would have RA/TA funding that may help.

My brother got funding to do his PhD, and will be deciding soon which university (for the next few years) he will study at. Given how expensive Masters and PhDs often are, any funding that doesn't have to be repaid helps a lot. In some cases, doing a Masters or PhD is an asset, if not necessary (e.g. social work, psychology); in other cases, a bachelor's degree is often enough (e.g. bookkeeping, journalism); in still more cases, some study beyond a bachelors (e.g. accounting [to get a designation], nursing, law) is necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 brenchy

How difficult is it to get funding for a Phd have you any idea? I imagine its difficult. I got a 2.1 for my BSc and I hope to do well in the GRE. Did your brother get a 1.1?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭davwain

I have absolutely no idea how hard or easy it is to get funding, to do a Masters or PhD, because I don't know very many relatives or close friends doing such degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

brenchy wrote: »
    How difficult is it to get funding for a Phd have you any idea? I imagine its difficult. I got a 2.1 for my BSc and I hope to do well in the GRE. Did your brother get a 1.1?

It depends immensely on your field of study, research topic and university. Personally, when I was doing research on Phd's (which i did not take up) in Engineering, it did not seem all that difficult to find funding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭colosus1908

getting fund usually depend on the field and also your essay.

Advertisement