Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft technician from India phonecall!!

• 14-12-2011 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Kavs

Hi ppl,
    Just a heads up for anybody recieving a call from this tel. number
    00253820308, do not under any circumstances turn on your computer!!

A very friendly Indian chap said my computer was in grave danger from a 'virus, you see sir, just turn on your computer' he repeated over and over again!

The first phonecall I told him my computer was turned on and just as I was 'typing my password' low and behold a long lost relative called to my door, the chances! so I politely asked him to sit tight while I answered the door.

Well I think he lasted 5 minutes on hold, (gotta admire his persistance) and that was that I tought.

So half an hour later the phone rings again, this time the same indian chap in a not so polite manner demands I 'turn on my computer'. I apologised for the earlier mishap and explained it was uncle Fred who I had not spoken to in years, all to the backround noise of 'please sir turn on your computer'.

So finally after I filled him in on all of dear old uncle Freds latest exploits, I turned on my computer, "very slow to load" I explained must be those gosh darn virses you speak of I exclaimed! He whole heartedly agreed and pointed out how lucky I was that he had contacted me. :D

At this point 10-15 minutes has elapsed and I tell him I am typing my password now......but oh no whats this! A blue screen has appeared and the computer is now rebooting I explain! The problem must be bigger than we iniatially thought I tell him. This process repeats for another 5 minutes again to the backround theme track of "please sir turn on your computer".

By now the poor fella is getting overwhelmed by the seriousness of the problem and I get transferred to his 'Supervisor', not the most courteous person I have ever dealt with I must admit, but none the less I continue and I profusely thank him for helping me with this dire situation.

So what ensues is bizzare to say the least, I explain to him that I have indeed 'turned on my computer' but it appears that the virus's have had their evil way with my computer, not impressed with this he calmy explains that I should "go outside to my nearest shopping mall and find an I.T technician and catch him!"??? But "can you not help me" I plead, too late all I get back is a hang up tone.

I really have too much time on my hands (should be studying!!) but this gave me an enourmous lift today so thank you Microsoft technicians from India!

Joking aside, beware people and make sure to inform all of your older relatives about this scam, these crooks are targeting peolple at home alone and under no circimstances should you 'Turn on your computer!'.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

See all 71 pages of it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

Kavs wrote: »
    Hi ppl,
    Just a heads up for anybody recieving a call from this tel. number
    00253820308, do not under any circumstances turn on your computer!!

A very friendly Indian chap said my computer was in grave danger from a 'virus, you see sir, just turn on your computer' he repeated over and over again!

The first phonecall I told him my computer was turned on and just as I was 'typing my password' low and behold a long lost relative called to my door, the chances! so I politely asked him to sit tight while I answered the door.

Well I think he lasted 5 minutes on hold, (gotta admire his persistance) and that was that I tought.

So half an hour later the phone rings again, this time the same indian chap in a not so polite manner demands I 'turn on my computer'. I apologised for the earlier mishap and explained it was uncle Fred who I had not spoken to in years, all to the backround noise of 'please sir turn on your computer'.

So finally after I filled him in on all of dear old uncle Freds latest exploits, I turned on my computer, "very slow to load" I explained must be those gosh darn virses you speak of I exclaimed! He whole heartedly agreed and pointed out how lucky I was that he had contacted me. :D

At this point 10-15 minutes has elapsed and I tell him I am typing my password now......but oh no whats this! A blue screen has appeared and the computer is now rebooting I explain! The problem must be bigger than we iniatially thought I tell him. This process repeats for another 5 minutes again to the backround theme track of "please sir turn on your computer".

By now the poor fella is getting overwhelmed by the seriousness of the problem and I get transferred to his 'Supervisor', not the most courteous person I have ever dealt with I must admit, but none the less I continue and I profusely thank him for helping me with this dire situation.

So what ensues is bizzare to say the least, I explain to him that I have indeed 'turned on my computer' but it appears that the virus's have had their evil way with my computer, not impressed with this he calmy explains that I should "go outside to my nearest shopping mall and find an I.T technician and catch him!"??? But "can you not help me" I plead, too late all I get back is a hang up tone.

I really have too much time on my hands (should be studying!!) but this gave me an enourmous lift today so thank you Microsoft technicians from India!

Joking aside, beware people and make sure to inform all of your older relatives about this scam, these crooks are targeting peolple at home alone and under no circimstances should you 'Turn on your computer!'.
    I don't get it, what was the scam? The guy on the phone, what was he after? Or your ' uncle' what was he after? did the phone call ever get to could I have your credit card details?

I'd be suspicious of microsoft ever voluntarily calling me, after once dealing with their support

edit: sorry for quoting the whole lot of op's post

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Meh - that kind of thing happens all the time, it's called Phishing my man.
    but... if you send me your credit card details I should be able to sort this out for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

What happens if you do turn on the pc or are on it when they ring?

How do they hack in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

scholar007 wrote: »
    Nothing. Nada. Zip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

I did something similar. I pretended I had a really bad stammer and after about 5 minutes of arsing around I told him I had turned on my "printer". At this point the poor waanker was fuming. i then told him all about when I was in India as a youngster and I invited him around for dinner if ever he was in Ireland. Eventually he got the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Kavs

It was just my attempt to waste absolutely as much of their time as possible, wasted about 30 mins of call time, new record for me.

Tell them you have a mac, gets rid of them fairly fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I get these nuisance calls from time to time.

I say I'm putting them on hold while I get the person they are looking for.

Then I put the phone beside the radio and go about my business.

There is never anybody on the line when I get back...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

How do they hack in?

Turning on your computer is just the first step.

I got this call in the office a while back. He asked me to follow some steps, I then told him "I ain't following no steps" and he assured me I needed to follow his steps to which I replied "I AIN'T FOLLOWING NO STEPS". When he inquired as to why I wouldn't follow his steps I informed him the office was exclusively Linux. He assured me I was mistaken at which time I adviced him he needed to follow my steps and proceeded to describe the appropriate steps one would take should they wish to go fuck themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

How do they hack in?
    El Weirdo wrote: »
    Nothing. Nada. Zip.

Exactly, but if you entertain them they will probably give you a web address or code (e.g. 172.1234.5678) to enter in the address bar.

DO NOT DO THIS!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Broads.ie

Country code of the number is Djibouti.

The number actually has a few results on google! http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/00253820308

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 silvershark

I was impressed by a story my aunt told me - she's about 78 and got a new laptop and is getting in on the email and all that - anyway she got a call and was clued in about the scam. She walked around for a while talking to him dragging it out and after several minutes said "ok now, i have a pen and paper now, tell me what you want me to do and i'll write it down or else I'll forget" then after leading him on for another while got a referees whistle and blew it down the phone at him - haha - he wasn't long hanging up!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Seachmall wrote: »
    He asked me to follow some steps, I then told him "I ain't following no steps" and he assured me I needed to follow his steps to which I replied "I AIN'T FOLLOWING NO STEPS".

But are you afraid of no ghosts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I do not know what you are talking about. I got the same call and the kindly and efficient man fixed all the problems I was having with my technical computer.

I would gladly recommend him to all my esteemed friends.

Thanking you sincerely,

Mr. Respectable AnonoBoy Poster of Utmost Regard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭pawrick

lots of posts on this already but for those unfamiliar

they usually ask you to install software which allows them take control of your pc and access anything on it. As the software is legit your antiviruse etc wont stop this but you have to aloow them access and this explains why they pretend to be from microsoft to gain your trust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Unfortunately they don't seem to keep a record of who they ring. They keep ringing once they have your number. So while amusing it was entirely pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Ah they're gas lads. When I started askin loads of questions about how he got the number and stuff, he told me he was Osama Bin Laden's brother and when i turned on my computer it would go 'boom'.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

I told one fella that I was a "Microsoft Gold Partner" (Which ofc I am not). No sooner as I said that, the guy hung up and has never called back since!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

But are you afraid of no ghosts?

That tune was stuck in my head when writing that post, couldn't figure out what it was though :D

And no, I ain't afraid of no ghosts.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Broads.ie

ASIAN scam artists trying to hack into Irish computers to steal bank details threatened to bomb a garda station after being confronted by detectives.

LOL

Linky: http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/asian-scam-artists-threaten-to-bomb-garda-station-after-being-found-out-161895.html#ixzz1gVi66ntO

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭Aseth

No point having a new thread about it - everything is available here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055837564&page=1 including what to do when they called you and you followed their instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Anyone ever try out an air horn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

It doesn't matter what you do. They don't take your number of the list.

Really the regular or provider should deal with this. They have to be using the same numbers for a while before rotating them. Also they are computer generating numbers. They rang me on UPC number I've never given out or use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

edit: sorry for quoting the whole lot of op's post
    Just not sorry enough to delete it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I keep getting calls from a weird number from some Indian guy enquiring about about upgrading my website.

I got annoyed the first few times, but have since being amusing myself by putting them "on hold while I transfer you", then humming a Christmas song until they hang up.

The last time though, I ran out of patience first & had to hang up myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

chin_grin wrote: »
    See all 71 pages of it here.
    Please use that thread.

Oh and don't trust people ringing out of the blue to help you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement