Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BOI Laser cards abroad

• 15-11-2010 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Howdy,

I'm heading to Tokyo for new years, and all I have is a Bank of Ireland Laser card; does anyone know if this will work in ATM's or machines over there?

I know that BOI are bringing out Visa debit cards, but would it just be easier at this point to grab a visa/mastercard credit card?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭SVG

Assuming it's your normal ATM card it should work fine but note that the only machines that accept foreign ATM cards are in Post Offices (some foreign cards also work in 7/11 stores). Be sure to bring some cash with you as many places don't accept credit cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 coconut2674

SVG wrote: »
    Assuming it's your normal ATM card it should work fine but note that the only machines that accept foreign ATM cards are in Post Offices (some foreign cards also work in 7/11 stores). Be sure to bring some cash with you as many places don't accept credit cards.

Cool, thanks a million!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

That's not correct, it will only work abroad if there is a Cirrus symbol on the back. Most standard ATM cards don't have this, Laser cards definitely do. Check the back of your card and if it doesn't have the symbol, call your branch and ask for a Laser.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Laser Cards are pretty worthless outside the EU and I have nothing but bad experiences with them. Use a major Credit Card like Visa or Mastercard. I always take a mix of US Dollars and Euro when I go abroad as an emergency backup also. Taking no cash and depending on Laser only = Hotel Cardboard box in Tokyo for the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

As a payment card Laser cards are not as useful as a credit card, but I have used one in the US for example, so it is not just a question of EU only. As as ATM card you generally don't have problems, although Japan is somewhat the exception here. Get a Visa card and you can probably pay hotels with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

From my experience Citibank ATMS accept foreign ATM cards
    Ad they are plentiful all over Japan

Advertisement