Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

That is strange re: medical card. They have been very timely and good about my medical cards (had it for the last 2 or 3 years). Is there a problem or are they just taking their sweet time about it?

Sorry to hear about the job but if ye didn't even really want it your probably better off. Ye'll get something, try and stay positive.

I'm a full time student and financially dependent on my parents (my Dad is the only one with any income and his only income is basic state pension).
    Three times in the last year I have applied for a medical card and gotten the GP visit card which is useless in fairness. I know I'm eligible for the Medical Card (the people at citizens information and my doctor say so anyway) and my father has one so I don't see what different between me and him. Income is far below the limit.
    Maybe it'll just come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

I'm a full time student and financially dependent on my parents (my Dad is the only one with any income and his only income is basic state pension).
    Three times in the last year I have applied for a medical card and gotten the GP visit card which is useless in fairness. I know I'm eligible for the Medical Card (the people at citizens information and my doctor say so anyway) and my father has one so I don't see what different between me and him. Income is far below the limit.
    Maybe it'll just come.

Have you submitted a letter with medical grounds as to why you need a card?

Hersheys wrote: »
    Have you submitted a letter with medical grounds as to why you need a card?

No :/ Would they accept depression and anxiety as a reason?

No :/ Would they accept depression and anxiety as a reason?
    If you can get a letter from your GP outlining that you require regular appointments to monitor medicine or any other long term illness and how you are under financial stress which is adding to your anxiety and how it would be beneficial for you to have a full card rather than just a visit card, they should give you one.

Depression/anxiety are just like any other long term illness. Just cos you can't "see" them, doesn't mean they're not there or that they're any less serious than other illnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Hey Folks,

I've had panic disorder about 16 months now and would like to consider myself at the stage of managing it. There is no such thing as a cure, as we need anxiety/stress in our lives and its more to do with accepting it for what it is and realising when the panic and negative thoughts are there, we need to realise what they are annd cannot harm us. Easier said than done!!!!

I will elaborate on my story another time, but just to let you know that I was hospitalised in May last year, but with the help of a fantastic medical team in SJOG, great support from family and friends I'm here and fortunately able to work in a good/highly stressful job in and IB and loving it!!

Anyway, I wanted to pass on some tips that I found helpful that may help others

1. Talk to somebody (GP, family member, friend, teacher etc.) as soon as you think there is something wrong with your mental health. It is by far the biggest obstacle you will face and you will feel a great deal of stress lift from your shoulder

2. Research. Part of my job is solving problems and with my stubborness treated it in a similar way that i would in work. I'm not saying Dr. Google!!. Ask you doctor, psychiatrist, counsellor etc. for books websites etc. It is very common so don't fear reading about it, though it can be uncomfortable to read about at times.

3. DIET!!! Is very important. Im not saying no sweets, common sense like not spending the day eating crap. Fruit veg etc. need to be part of your daily diet and DON'T skip breakfast

4. Exercise according to your abilities a few times a week. No better way to get rid of aggression/anger etc.

5. HYDRATION HYDRATION HYDRATION!!!! When I increased my water intake to 2.5litres from 1.5 a day ---- Notable decrease in anxiety

6. Meditation. I do Transcedental meditation and finds it works quite well. 20 mins in morning and evening (most days)

7. Counselling/Psychiatrist. Did pyschotherapy for 9 months, was great in delaing with issues. I still go to shrink once a quarter just to see how I'm doing. make sure you have the right one though.

8. Recovery Inc. helped me for the first 6 months out of hospital. very nice and dedicated people and great structure in place

9. Panic Away Programme - You can google that :P

10. Routine -Anxiety hates structure

Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Hi there,

I will copy and paste what I have said in the other forum.

Thanks for the info. So interesting. I try to meditate too, what sort of meditation is the one you use? Do you mind me asking are you on meds too?

I think the Panic Away Programme is quite expensive, I did think it was a scam at one point (sorry)

I was doing well up until a few weeks ago but I am very unwell since.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Hi Pink,

What other forum was it?

I use Transcedental Meditiation (TM). Found it really good but expensive at the start. It depends what suits but I noticed a decrease in about 2 days in anxiety. That said I still do get heightened anxiety but recognise it. It tends to happen when I havent kept up my TM, exercise or moving around with work. (I work as a bank contractor so move around countries a bit)

I'm not on meds and tbh don't like taking them. The reason for this is because I have had to take tablets for spinal problems over the years and I really HATE taking meds. I looked at anxiety of more of an equation to be solved. My medical team saw this and decided no meds, which I was happy with. That said, if people need meds then take them (don't stop unless told to do so by your doctor!!

However, I don't like how easy Xanax are prescribed by GPs without getting to the route of the problem. I had one doc tell me the get over my attack (first one and rang ambulance thinking heart attack)! It has amazed me how some people think they have been given meds and they will be fine, when there is hard work needed to do yourself.

In the 16 months I've taken 6 Xanax (last one was in Jan on a flight) and I always feel worse on the come down. I remember been given a Diazepan and sleeping tablet one night and felt so crap the next day i refused them from them when offered again. This is not to be hard or anything just my opinion and I had loads of supprot everyday to help me aswell!!!!

Pink,

It will pass, honestly. Can you meet with your counsellor at all?

Sorry don't have a chance to send a full on reply now, but I sometimes post in the forum 'Let's all laugh at people with depression'.

I try to practice mindfulness, I think meditation is really good.

If only I had more time!!

Have you tried the headspace app?

No, tell me is it good??

• Advertisement

If you can get a letter from your GP outlining that you require regular appointments to monitor medicine or any other long term illness and how you are under financial stress which is adding to your anxiety and how it would be beneficial for you to have a full card rather than just a visit card, they should give you one.

Depression/anxiety are just like any other long term illness. Just cos you can't "see" them, doesn't mean they're not there or that they're any less serious than other illnesses.

Will the doctor write a letter saying all that even if I've never been to her about my depression or anxiety before? I'm worried that she'll think I'm making it up just to get a medical card. Like, what do I say to her? Also, if I apply on medical grounds and since I'm still financially dependent on my parents, would I have to get them involved? I don't want them knowing that that's what I'm going to the doctor for.
    I know that depression and anxiety are proper long term illnesses but i'm always afraid that people won't believe me if I say I have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

As far as I know if you've got continuous care like seeing your doctor for ongoing depression/anxiety issues you should be ok for the full medical card to cover your visits and medication.

pinkstars wrote: »
    No, tell me is it good??
    Very. It's expensive to get headspace for the year, but if you're into guided meditation its defo the way to go.

Will the doctor write a letter saying all that even if I've never been to her about my depression or anxiety before? I'm worried that she'll think I'm making it up just to get a medical card. Like, what do I say to her? Also, if I apply on medical grounds and since I'm still financially dependent on my parents, would I have to get them involved? I don't want them knowing that that's what I'm going to the doctor for.
    I know that depression and anxiety are proper long term illnesses but i'm always afraid that people won't believe me if I say I have it.
    Wait. I'm confused. You say you've a GP visit card - surely this GP knows your depression/anxiety issues? Best thing to do would be to talk to your GP about it. Your family wouldn't need to know the reason you got the medical card.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Does anyone with anxiety get a recurring symptom that I suppose is a tightness in the abdomen/chest?
    I haven't been doing yoga for a while and that may solve it but it just constantly feels like I am uneasy there, like the muscles are constantly flexing / (spasming?).

It's just really uncomfortable and annoying but I may be focusing on it too much.

Yeah I get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Now that I think about it I remember a book about anxiety that said something along the lines of 'let it churn' referring to a churning stomach. I'll test on the bus to see if I can concentrate and allow it to be, see if it makes a difference.

Wait. I'm confused. You say you've a GP visit card - surely this GP knows your depression/anxiety issues? Best thing to do would be to talk to your GP about it. Your family wouldn't need to know the reason you got the medical card.

Yes I have a GP visit card but have never gone to the doctor about depression or anxiety before.

Very. It's expensive to get headspace for the year, but if you're into guided meditation its defo the way to go.

How much is it for the year?

Sixty pounds sterling. It's a bit steep but there's a 10 day free trial so you could see if you find it helpful. I just find his voice quite soothing, some of the voices on those tapes are horrific.

• Advertisement

Yes I have a GP visit card but have never gone to the doctor about depression or anxiety before.
    Hmmm. Well your best bet is to talk to your GP and explain the issue. Due to doctor patient confidentiality they are legally obliged not to tell your parents what's going on, so there's no issue there.

Hmmm. Well your best bet is to talk to your GP and explain the issue. Due to doctor patient confidentiality they are legally obliged not to tell your parents what's going on, so there's no issue there.

Yeah I think I'll do it some time.

I think my hyper-anxiety this week was caused by trying to quit smoking. I was going fairly crazy. Back on them now and feeling somewhat more normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dar926

Does anybody else feel like they are just passing the days away, gone way passed the point of caring...watching the clock and the hours pass, relieved that another day is over and maybe, if your lucky...you might get an hours sleep before the whole thing starts over again :(

I just... I just can't. I am genuinely at a point where I just don't know who to trust or where to go... I know it's just a rough patch. I really do. But Christ it's difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Hersheys, I know that feeling, at times I feel that I have no one that actually underdtands what goes on in my head. Right now I am dealing with two sets of relations not speaking to me. One set have been hurt by me so I can at least understand where they are coming from. But the other set have totally behaved in the wrong against me. No connection between the two sets.
    I'm justs reeling from it all.

Hershey you can trust this board at least.

Sixty pounds sterling. It's a bit steep but there's a 10 day free trial so you could see if you find it helpful. I just find his voice quite soothing, some of the voices on those tapes are horrific.

They are horrific! I think there is a Headspace App I can get free - it is no where near that price!

pinkstars wrote: »
    They are horrific! I think there is a Headspace App I can get free - it is no where near that price!

Yeah the headspace free app gives 10 days of guided meditation.

Oh great will try that.

Will they automatically take my moola then after the ten days?

No, not at all. You only need to give your email address. Well so far anyway, I'm on day 5. And the days are downloadable so you can listen to them a few times.

• Advertisement

Cool thanks for that will try it out so!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement