Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭craggel

Hi

At the stage where we are pricing contractors in the Carlow area and also pricing direct labour. We are building a concrete bungalow style house with upstairs, velux windows, under floor heating. Total sq ft is 3,300. We would like an economic heating system and everyone is preferring oil over heat pump or opting for heat pump and solar panel and or wood pellet burner.

Would definitely prefer to save some money by direct labour and putting it into the house.

If we go with a contractor, does anyone know what would the current rate be per ft2?

If we go direct labour is there an extensive list with stages on what we need to cover and the average price per trade. Having never built before nor dont expect to do it again it would be good to capture everything and not forget about something therefore costing us more in the long run.

We have time on our hands and two very young children so no rush in finishing the job.

Any info would be great!
    :confused:

We are looking at building in the Carlow Area also amd were quoted €80-95 euro per sqft by our architect (from Carlow) - that was for contracting it out and not direct labour. By direct labour he reckons about €65 /sqft.
    Hope that is of some help!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

We're about 2-3 weeks from moving in...fingers crossed

It a cottage conversion with timber frame extension.
    About 2000 sq foot
    cellulose insulation in extension, dry lined old cottage
    underfloor heating
    Solar tubes and pellet boiler
    wind turbine on the way

just finishing kitchen now, got MDF units made up by local carpenter with higher than normal counter and custom size drawers, etc, painted it with choice of paint colour, bought all handles for 80euro from wholesaler (bargain) getting kitchen counter tops in now. A local farmer had 3 year seasoned elm in his shed which has been cut planed and sanded. Looks great, original and costs less than wooden counters from suppliers. Appliances were bought over a 6 month period as we spotted sales. Whole kitchen should cost about half what we were quoted from kitchen suppliers for similar (not including our own time which was enjoyable) Looking great...

Best advice I can think of is to price everything in the north if not overseas. Then use your builders vat number to get 0% vat. From my experience 6 mtrs of double lined flue for pellet boiler €1500 from heatmerchants, €860 delivered to my door from north. T54 wood glue 150 eu from south, delivered for 80euro from north. I could go on...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

God what is it with Carlow people on here wanting to build?

I have a planning application in with Carlow Co Co, which should go through if pre-planning was anything to go by.

CarloSelfBuild when you say Concrete do you mean blocks or ICF? I have been looking at ICF although I know some brickies in the Carlow who are looking for work at the moment so it may work out much cheaper for me to go block as I can get the house to floor level myself if I go block.

If I get planning permission it would be great to have some local people to discuss different pricing and perhaps share experience of different contractors, I am going direct labour as I have friends who are engineers and also building contractors, however I will need to source a plasterer and an electrician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 CarloSelfBuild

From what I know ICF would be more expensive than the block. So going with the block. Was quoted E1 per block which seems pretty standard.

If you can get a quote of around E80 ft2 can you PM me the builder? Would be great to know what is included in the price taking into a/c their previous references. :)

Receiving contractor quotes of E95 to E100 ft2. With approx 2,200 ft2 on the ground floor and 1,100 upstairs do the builders charge, for example E95 for downstairs ie 2,200 ft2 only or include downstairs and upstairs 3,300 ft2 if we do not have concrete upstairs?

Lot of the quotes we are getting are verbal now and we have requested them in writing, they seem to be dancing around the price. I suspect all the Carlow builders know what each other are charging so may be I need to go further afield to get a better quote??

Thanks again for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Hi all - we just got planning permission 2 months ago for a 3,370 Storey and a half in Westmeath.

Got married a month ago, and we're not long back from the honeymoon and we've started to look for quotes for the build.

We're initially getting quotes from contractors to do the whole job (as opposed to direct labour).
    One contractor I've spoken to said ball-park figure is €100 - €110 per sq. foot which sounds to be on the expensive side - but I'll wait till I get a proper quote from him (and the others) before any decisions will be made.

We may decide to go the direct labour route, as we already have a house and there is no big rush to get the job done.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated !!!

We really don't know where to start !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 BoylerMan

CarloSelfBuild/Irish1,
    I am currently (Self)building a house in Carlow(3500sq Ft). I am currently finishing off the roof and will be starting stonework next. Garage (1000sq ft) and entrance has been completed. I can give you no's of blocklayers, etc if you need who I can recomend...and ones to avoid.

Sound BoylerMan, my Planning just came through last week so working on getting site signed over etc. Any contact numbers would be very welcome you can pm them to me. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 45,759 ✭✭✭✭muffler

BoylerMan wrote:
    I can give you no's of blocklayers, etc if you need who I can recomend...and ones to avoid.
    As irish1 said PM the details please.

Generally we would prefer not to have names (and definitely no telephone numbers) posted up here particularly where theres going to be a rant or whatever about particular tradesmen.

The only problem with recommending someone (publicly) is that it could be viewed as advertising or shilling. If its posted by a regular user then it may be OK but we have to be extra careful when it comes to a new user posting details of certain builders or companies.

Safest option is always send details of tradesmen by PM. If ever in doubt just contact myself or smashey beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pinky123

We are at roof level of a 3000sq ft storey and 1/2.
    We have used an ICF system for external walls and standard block work for ground floor internal wall. Upstairs will have stud partition.
    Main prob at the moment is we want to vault all ceilings upstairs be are severly restricted by ridge height. Hopefully will solve this this evening if our engineer shows up ;)

Pinky123 what are you planning on finishing the external walls with??

• Advertisement

Hiya Irish1

We have gone with the Reward system for our house. Company that is building the system has told us that they have just been approved ( by HomeBond I think ) to use a standard sand and cement on external walls. They think that it will give a better finish and be much less expensive than the acrylic finish thay used to have to do. They are getting back to us this week with price. Acrylic was quoted as €13,000

Thats interesting Pinky123 I am very interested in ICF but the external finish was one issue I had, I have spoken with several Plasterer's and they have all bar one said that the Acrylic plaster was the only one they thought would last unless you attached some kind of steel mess to the ICF.

IF you don't mind me asking how much did the ICF cost you, PM if you prefer, cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 limerickbuild

Wetherby also provide the acrylic plaster. Am awaiting a delivery and ready to go with my coloured render.
    http://www.wbs-ltd.co.uk/

Goes on in 2 layers.. mesh with base coat first, then your render - can be coloured.
    They can match their colours to any Dulux paint (based on its code number).

ICF external walls. 2 storey house. approx 4K for product to plaster it. good when i wont have to touch it for next 30 years

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

good when i wont have to touch it for next 30 years

Remember that this is purely sales speak, none of these products have been tested under Irish climate conditions and nobody knows if they will last these time periods. Our climate is not the same as Germany or any other country where these systems have been in use for years.

Get the supplier to give you in writing a guarantee that after 10 years if it requires painting that they will pay for it? I dont believe any of them will supply it to you.

There are many jobs around the country who have coloured renders on them for less than 5 years and they need cleaning/repainting as they have discoloured etc etc.

Also the majority of coloured renders (not all of them) cannot be touched up or repaired to match existing.

You must be very carefull when selecting these products as the end result is not always what it seems.

• I've built an ICF house, at the plastering stage now.

I have decided to go for standard sand/cement plaster over expanded metal.
    I have been looking at the alternative acrylic renders they appear to attract the dirt more that a nap plaster surface, just look at older portacabins & other temporary buildings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 keeper2

Pinky123 wrote:
    Hiya Irish1

We have gone with the Reward system for our house. Company that is building the system has told us that they have just been approved ( by HomeBond I think ) to use a standard sand and cement on external walls. They think that it will give a better finish and be much less expensive than the acrylic finish thay used to have to do. They are getting back to us this week with price. Acrylic was quoted as €13,000

Hi Pinky123
    Is that price for Acrylic plaster of 13K for ALL external walls, and who did you get the quote from. We are just putting on roof tiles (Roadstone Mini Slate) on an ICF build also storey and a half. BTW, Mini Slates @ €900 per 100 plus VAT inc. delivery for anyone interested in pricing.

We are also considering Heat Recovery, does anyone have experience of these sytems in ICF.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

keeper2 wrote:
    BTW, Mini Slates @ €900 per 100 plus VAT inc. delivery for anyone interested in pricing.

Please tell me your mean €900 per 1000.......... BTW thats expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 keeper2

kkelliher wrote:
    Please tell me your mean €900 per 1000.......... BTW thats expensive

Sorry, yes 900 per 1000, we have to use this particular tile, Roadstone Mini Slate, anyone else got them cheaper ?

Keeper2

Yeah, the 13k is for all external walls ( planners would not allow us to put up any stone cladding ). Price includes all products, labour and VAT. The guys that built our ICF will be doing the plastering for us, they are used to this type of build and I think will be able to give us the best finish. They have also brought us to several sites to see their work. The company that built the ICF for us are listed on the Reward website
    (don't know if I can mention them here ) and are based in Mallow. I would highly reccommend them to anyone considering an ICF build

Has anyone here heard of the Rivendale Slates or used them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

We have the Rivendale on our house, they are fairly real looking with the special edege on them. They do look decent. Not sure if you can see them good our the blog though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Slates

Pinky123 wrote: »
    Keeper2

Has anyone here heard of the Rivendale Slates or used them.

Rivendale slates are a fibre cement slate which are made to look like a natural slate ( dressed edge and relief face) but are a fraction of the cost.

You can access info on the product at Tegral's website www.tegral.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭fatboymsport

hi all started a 2600sqft dormer a month ago only at floor level now.

hard to see 7 rows of blocks and over 20k worth of steel stone and concrete here :(

floor.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭metalscrubber

but at least you are out of the ground.

Us - the planners, the architect and us just keep going round in circles

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

Just started to build a 1.5 storey house near Virginia, Co. Cavan. The site overlooks the Lough Ramor and has some lake frontage.

Plans and progress can be followed at ....

http://watergate-house.blogspot.com

Wish me luck !

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭metalscrubber

Fantastic location.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭loinnsigh

Long time lurker, just started posting here, so by way of introduction, thought I'd add my €0.02 to this thread.

Started building a month ago, 2500 sqft dormer in West Wicklow, direct labour. The timber frame has just been completed. Blocklayers are starting on chimneys today (if they show up - why can't contractors just tell you 'next week' instead of telling you 'tomorrow' 5 days in a row? :confused:).

Nothing massively different about our construction methods, just making it as energy efficient as we can afford really (timber frame, extra insulation, triple-glazing, wood-pellet heating). No major hiccups yet either (touch wood!).

loinnsigh wrote: »
    (touch wood!).
    Christ I just love those puns :D

Good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hi all..
    We broke ground on 23rd July. Progress has been slow'ish but we're getting there.. Block layer should be out by the end of next week..

Here's a photo I took last week...

house.JPG

Cheers,
    bam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 tdiman

Hey bauderline (like the cavan accent coming through there ;) )

I see you have a basement. What's the deal with these - are the councils reasonably open to the idea?

From a building POV, what new challenges does it bring? Is the site behind the house falling away, making the basement easier to access?

Looks like a great way to get additional space, espcially if you are limited with house heights by the councils.

Advertisement