Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Loan repayment, is it negotiable.

• 15-11-2010 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    We are in a position where we have an interest only loan that is due to expire shortly. At this time we will either be extending the interest only period, repaying it or coming up with a repayment schedule over the coming years.

AT the risk of sounding stupid, If we chose to repay this money now would there be any possibility of negotiating a discount on this loan with the bank ?

Regards,

WH

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Very unlikely tbh - what benefit would be in it for them? If you settle early, they lose out, as they can't change you the interest coming up in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 peeweegirl

Im a tiny bit confused - you say its an interest free loan, but youre making interest-only repayments? Maybe Im reading it wrong. Either way, it depends on what type of loan it is. You can usually get an early settlement figure on a HP or Lease agreements where they will discount the balance outstanding but it also depends how far you are in to the loan. Im not 100% sure how a personal loan works but i think its similar. Ring the bank and ask them for the exact balance of the loan & if they can give you an early setlement figure on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭WH BONNEY

peeweegirl wrote: »
    Im a tiny bit confused - you say its an interest free loan, but youre making interest-only repayments? Maybe Im reading it wrong. Either way, it depends on what type of loan it is. You can usually get an early settlement figure on a HP or Lease agreements where they will discount the balance outstanding but it also depends how far you are in to the loan. Im not 100% sure how a personal loan works but i think its similar. Ring the bank and ask them for the exact balance of the loan & if they can give you an early setlement figure on it.

My sincerest apologies, I have amenended the original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 peeweegirl

Yeah, when I read it again after I posted it, I guessed thats what you meant to type! Good luck anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Also if you get a discount it will be marked on ICB as settled for a lesser figure rather than completed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement