Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Private health Insurance Confusing

Options
  • 14-11-2010 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi Guys

i am not sure if I am in the right forum, so please feel free to move this thread if so.
    Anyway I am looking to get health insurance for myself ,wife and 3 nippers but there are so many plans and options(most of them very expensive) it is all getting very confusing, to reduce costs I am not interested in bells and whistles covering minor things like the cost of GP visits and extras along those lines, but I really want the best cover for serious injury and illness that might possibly require expensive scans, treatments, hospital stays and that kind of thing.:confused:
    Any advice welcome

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Moved from Economics. Bounce it back if it's not suited to this forum (I couldn't think of anywhere more appropriate to put it).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Not to blow my own trumpet, but I think a previous post of mine (here) should help you somewhat.

Also have a look at the Health Insurance Authority's website - www.hia.ie. As I mention in the other post, the HIA have guides about choosing health insurance products which should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Of course - there is the option of not bothering.:)
    Even without a medical card the provision of all treatment to public patients is free. .
    The insurance companies always try and scare people into thinking thay will have massive bills - but all you will have to pay is an overnight hospital stay charge of €75 per day up to a maximum of €750 in a any 12 consecutive months .
    It's a gamble that you may or may not want to take.

I've never bothered with insurance since moving from the UK (where health insurance is seen as a luxury item)
    Insurance might get you seen quicker. (not guaranteed though )

Advertisement