Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

lord of the rings books.

Options
  • 13-09-2014 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I just wrote a large paragraph in depth but it deleted itself so I'm going to be quick, i got a lord of the rings book set and it has 7 small books? I was told there was only 3, is this a strange version? Or will it be the same just spread out, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

It should be the same just spread out. Lord Of The Rings is one book but published in three volumes, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers and The Return of the King.

According to Wikepedia "Structurally, the novel is divided internally into six books, two per volume". So it seems that's the way your set is divided. The seventh is a little strange unless it's The Hobbit?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Could the seventh contain Appendices? The edition of Return of the King I have has a couple of hundred pages worth of appendices at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭burtslimpslon

Thanks for the reply's, yes it seems to just be the three spread across six, and the seventh is appendices, thanks for the info :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stuboy01

Thanks for the reply's, yes it seems to just be the three spread across six, and the seventh is appendices, thanks for the info :-)

Don't ignore the appendices. There are some really good short background stories in there. 'Durin's folk' being really really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭wreade1872

Yes i have a 7 volume set aswell its awesome, Millenium edition, all hardback and done in black, red and gold.
    The Lord of the Rings isn't in fact a Trilogy its just one book. It was split by the publisher into three sections for cost reasons only.

From the authors point of view its one book split into 7 sections, it calls it's 6 story sections 'Book's' but calling them 'Acts' would work just aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Another vote for reading the appendecies. They are fascinating! So much information in there.

Advertisement