Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eastenders SIDS storyline.... Too Far??

• 03-01-2011 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭

anyone else think its a step too far?.. personally i don't watch it but my bettter half had it on over the pudding and i must say, i thought it was disgraceful on such a normally happy time of the year to broadcast this ratings grabber?
    Can anyone enlighten me as to the merits of this ?

I'm surprised it hasn't popped up on Boards yet tbh.. i have friends who've suffered this trauma recently...xmas was hard enough on them...
    then to see this ...:(

Or am i simply over reacting?

thoughts please?

{@ mods apologies if this is already been done,i couldn't find it though..}

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

What is "SIDS"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

What is "SIDS"?

Sudden Infant Death Syndrome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

No offense to anyone who has personal experience with sudden infant death syndrome but possibly every single storyline in a soap ever may have personally effected a viewer or many viewers at one time or other, if they were to take this into consideration every time they write an episode then they wouldn't have anything to write about. Obviously they take inspiration from real life situations.

Personally don't watch eastenders, have just read about this in the papers and think the world would be a better place without soaps.

Also, I don't see why it makes a difference whether they show this at Christmas or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I completely agree with you OP.

Cot death, in itself, is tragic enough without the farce of a storyline they have surrounding it. I switched off the night it happened, as I had read the spoilers and knew what the storyline entailed (although even then, I could hardly believe what I was reading:eek:). Haven't watched tonight and won't be switching back on until that storyline is well and truly over.

I don't know why they didn't just deal with cot death, with all the helpline numbers after the soap. Yes I agree, that in almost every soap that they try to immitate real life situations - but this storyline in no way, reflects real life.

I think I saw this somewhere else OP, but can't find it now either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

No offense to anyone who has personal experience with sudden infant death syndrome but possibly every single storyline in a soap ever may have personally effected a viewer or many viewers at one time or other, if they were to take this into consideration every time they write an episode then they wouldn't have anything to write about. Obviously they take inspiration from real life situations.

i agree to an extent, but it seems sensationalist to me,its the right thing,done for the wrong reason if you like.
    Personally don't watch eastenders, have just read about this in the papers and think the world would be a better place without soaps.

+ 100
    Also, I don't see why it makes a difference whether they show this at Christmas or not.

its one of the few times of the year when family's unite-reunite and is generally considered a happy time, {also the religious aspect },its disgusting i think anyway. i mean what Taboo is next? Bestiality?... i'm all for highlighting sensitive issue's and the like but i feel its pointless showing the SIDS and baby-swapping shoite. It makes for grim viewing.

thebullkf wrote: »
    its one of the few times of the year when family's unite-reunite and is generally considered a happy time, {also the religious aspect },its disgusting i think anyway. i mean what Taboo is next? Bestiality?... i'm all for highlighting sensitive issue's and the like but i feel its pointless showing the SIDS and baby-swapping shoite. It makes for grim viewing.

er.... have a look in the animal and pet issues forum for the thread on "calendar controversy"...

er.... have a look in the animal and pet issues forum for the thread on "calendar controversy"...

have seen it.... when they srt showing dead dogs being swapped i'll pop over...
    anyway i think most people would not class that as bestiality..

have seen it.... when they srt showing dead dogs being swapped i'll pop over...
    anyway i think most people would not class that as bestiality..

ah i know that, was just joking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Yeah its a bit much allright, has put me off the show tbh ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

I agree, it has also put me off the show. Really not sure I can watch it for the next few weeks while this is going on.
    And to be honest, if it goes on for longer than a few weeks then I think after almost 15 years, EE will have lost themselves a viewer completely. Some things you just don't go after on a soap I think, and while I believe a SIDS storyline could be done well, the baby swapping bit just makes a bit of a mockery of the whole thing, IMO.

Roll on the end of this storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,809 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I dont mind the SIDS storyline but the switch is very far fetched

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

buzz55 wrote: »
    I agree, it has also put me off the show. Really not sure I can watch it for the next few weeks while this is going on.
    And to be honest, if it goes on for longer than a few weeks then I think after almost 15 years, EE will have lost themselves a viewer completely. Some things you just don't go after on a soap I think, and while I believe a SIDS storyline could be done well, the baby swapping bit just makes a bit of a mockery of the whole thing, IMO.

Roll on the end of this storyline.

Exactly, it's out of character aswell for Ronnie, I don't think any parent would be capable of this after their baby died.

Of course this will drag on for weeks/months - they want impact,
    the kid will probably be 1 or more before being handed back so damage will be permanent to all involved.

Gone are the days when soaps were a bit of craic, when the biggest story was a punch up in the queen vic...

• Registered Users Posts: 84,809 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

the_monkey wrote: »
    Exactly, it's out of character aswell for Ronnie, I don't think any parent would be capable of this after their baby died.

Of course this will drag on for weeks/months - they want impact,
    the kid will probably be 1 or more before being handed back so damage will be permanent to all involved.

Gone are the days when soaps were a bit of craic, when the biggest story was a punch up in the queen vic...

Yes Ronnie had Danielle taken from her when she was young so she of all people must know the heartbreak of having a baby taken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I won't watch it. The only issue I have is how would you not recognise that it isn't your baby that is dead. Makes no sense.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

anyone else think its a step too far?.. personally i don't watch it but my bettter half had it on over the pudding and i must say, i thought it was disgraceful on such a normally happy time of the year to broadcast this ratings grabber?
    Can anyone enlighten me as to the merits of this ?

I'm surprised it hasn't popped up on Boards yet tbh.. i have friends who've suffered this trauma recently...xmas was hard enough on them...
    then to see this ...:(

Or am i simply over reacting?

thoughts please?

{@ mods apologies if this is already been done,i couldn't find it though..}

I'm not sure what's so bad about this storyline, after all Emmerdale have done it, Corrie have done it, so why doesn't it seem right with EE? I dunno is it simply the fact that it's Ronnie's baby that died, that she's had such rotten luck with kids already so this is just a step too far for that character. If it was simply that Alfie and Kat's baby died it'd be bad enough, but I think it's the Ronnie element and the baby swap that makes it so much worse.

Still I'm sure they'll win loads of awards for a job well done :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

i dont think there is nothing wrong with this story if anything its shinning a light on how bad it is and how upsetting it is.but my feelings do go out to the people who have had this happen to them but for people me who watch this sopas its a situation that shows us some of the dealings with SIDS

I'm not sure what's so bad about this storyline, after all Emmerdale have done it, Corrie have done it, so why doesn't it seem right with EE? I dunno is it simply the fact that it's Ronnie's baby that died, that she's had such rotten luck with kids already so this is just a step too far for that character. If it was simply that Alfie and Kat's baby died it'd be bad enough, but I think it's the Ronnie element and the baby swap that makes it so much worse.

Still I'm sure they'll win loads of awards for a job well done :rolleyes:

tbh i don't watch soap's,truly don't see them as a reflection of true life...i mean very few people work in them,none of 'em wash their clothes,they all eat out @ the Caff,and drink @lunchtime.... on welfare!!...

i never knew the others did this story before,reinforces my decision not to watch 'em.

A V A wrote: »
    i dont think there is nothing wrong with this story if anything its shinning a light on how bad it is and how upsetting it is.but my feelings do go out to the people who have had this happen to them but for people me who watch this sopas its a situation that shows us some of the dealings with SIDS

do you think (god forbid) if it ever happened to you,having watched it, it would in turn 'help' in some way?

i don't understand your reasoning:confused: {not being smart btw;)}

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I dont think its to far at all. Things like SIDS happen in real life, why not make people aware of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

seanybiker wrote: »
    I dont think its to far at all. Things like SIDS happen in real life, why not make people aware of it.
    will they fine out about the baby switch?we dont want people thinking its a possibility with the already challenging subject and have people thinking that hospitals are not showing signs of this actually going on in the real world it dont give the hospital much credit does it

jimmynokia wrote: »
    will they fine out about the baby switch?we dont want people thinking its a possibility with the already challenging subject and have people thinking that hospitals are not showing signs of this actually going on in the real world it dont give the hospital much credit does it

They're bound to find out at some stage when they get stuck for a storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

wonder how long view will drag it out for its a bit harsh and ive to look at the misses getting out the tissues when its on its a little too much imo

That's what has me in 2 minds about it too. I think if they had done it where it was Kat and Alfie's baby it would be a lovely story line...well not lovely, but more poignant. I don't know why the put the baby swap thing in and made Ronnie's character more miserable than she already was

They're bound to find out at some stage when they get stuck for a storyline.

Round 2 of 'You're not my muvvaaaaa!' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I wonder if the complainers are regular EE viewers, because misery and shock storylines is the EE modus operandi. So I would never watch it.

That's what has me in 2 minds about it too. I think if they had done it where it was Kat and Alfie's baby it would be a lovely story line...well not lovely, but more poignant. I don't know why the put the baby swap thing in and made Ronnie's character more miserable than she already was
    Yeah the whole swap thing was a bit much for Ronnie. They should give her a mice storyline about some irish chap calling over to her on his bike and the two of them riding off into the sunset together blablabla.

Yeah the whole swap thing was a bit much for Ronnie. They should give her a mice storyline about some irish chap calling over to her on his bike and the two of them riding off into the sunset together blablabla.

An Irish biker called..Seany perhaps? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

I wonder if the complainers are regular EE viewers, because misery and shock storylines is the EE modus operandi. So I would never watch it.

Every episode is the same old shiiii.... someone shouting their heads off to someone else. Someone's life getting ruined. Murder... etc. Maybe decent once in a while, but no every day for me.

If Eastenders was a film it'd be a horror film.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭d1975

I'm not really into watching that story line, but I notice after the show ended on BBC there was voice over guy saying if your effected by this story line you can contact.... etc...

and I switched over to RTE and they didn't do anything at all I'm disapointed that RTE as a state broadcaster not putting information about ISIDA (Irish Sudden Infant Death Association)

BBC have been putting up info since the story line started so can't see why RTE don't

Advertisement