Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Captain Slog

• 25-01-2010 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

Introduction

I have been lurking, posting and generally gadding about on this forum since July 2008. Have been toying with the idea of starting one of them there new-fangled training log malarkeys but never actually bothered my a*se to do it. Until now! Onwards to public humiliation…

Background:

Returned to running in 2007 after a 20-year hiatus. Now 20-odd years after my glory days in the 1980’s, 35 kilos heavier (oh the good life:rolleyes:) and 17 minutes per 10K slower:(. Have been running semi-regularly since August 2007, weight down from 117 to 106 kilos. Have “competed” in mainly local races (5K to 10K). Proud owner of a Garmin Forerunner 305.

Purpose of this Log

To motivate me to put more structure and consistency into my training

Roles

Husband, father, breadwinner, coach, athlete, athletics administrator

Current PBs

3K – 16:56 - Meath T&F Championships 11th May 2008

5K – 29:17 - MSB 5K 16th March 2008

6K – 36:31 - Simon Cumbers Memorial 16th May 2008

4 Mile – 39:19 - Dunboyne 4 Mile 30th March 2008

5 Mile – 57:34 - Fr. Murphy AC 5 Mile 17th March 2009

10K – 1:06:47 - The Lakes 10K 19th September 2009

Beat Littlebug to 500 miles in 2009 1000-Mile Challenge:D

Targets for 2010

Average at least 4 runs/32K (20 miles) per week

Complete 2010 1000-Mile Challenge

Break 50 minutes for 5 Miles

Break 60 minutes for 10K

Weight below 100 kilos

Races Planned

Raheny 5 Mile 31st January 2010

MSB 5K 14th March 2010

Great Ireland 10K Run 18th April 2010

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

10.6Km in 1:16:49 (7:09 min/km) at lunchtime around Trim. Lovely day for a run, frost and fog had cleared.

Left calf still giving me grief, must remember to stretch it properly when warmed up.

Great to get out during the day, frees up the evenings no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Introduction

I have been lurking, posting and generally gadding about on this forum since July 2008. Have been toying with the idea of starting one of them there new-fangled training log malarkeys but never actually bothered my a*se to do it. Until now! Onwards to public humiliation…

Background:

Returned to running in 2007 after a 20-year hiatus. Now 20-odd years after my glory days in the 1980’s, 35 kilos heavier (oh the good life:rolleyes:) and 17 minutes per 10K slower:(. Have been running semi-regularly since August 2007, weight down from 117 to 106 kilos. Have “competed” in mainly local races (5K to 10K). Proud owner of a Garmin Forerunner 305.

Purpose of this Log

To motivate me to put more structure and consistency into my training

Roles

Husband, father, breadwinner, coach, athlete, athletics administrator

Current PBs

3K – 16:56 - Meath T&F Championships 11th May 2008

5K – 29:17 - MSB 5K 16th March 2008

6K – 36:31 - Simon Cumbers Memorial 16th May 2008

4 Mile – 39:19 - Dunboyne 4 Mile 30th March 2008

5 Mile – 57:34 - Fr. Murphy AC 5 Mile 17th March 2009

10K – 1:06:47 - The Lakes 10K 19th September 2009

Beat Littlebug to 500 miles in 2009 1000-Mile Challenge:D

Targets for 2010

Average at least 4 runs/32K (20 miles) per week

Complete 2010 1000-Mile Challenge

Break 50 minutes for 5 Miles

Break 60 minutes for 10K

Weight below 100 kilos

Races Planned

Raheny 5 Mile 31st January 2010

MSB 5K 14th March 2010

Great Ireland 10K Run 18th April 2010

Best of luck with your goals.
    Its the mileage that is the buzz.
    Think of the benifits
    weight loss and many more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Best of luck with the 2010 goals Meathcountysec :)
    and good luck in Raheny next weekend. No bother to ya....

7.76Km in 53:59 (6:57 min/Km) at lunchtime in Trim today.

A few patches of frost lingering in sheltered spots so stepping lightly (well as lightly as someone of my poundage can step).

Pace, though faster, felt easier than yesterday, not sure whether that’s down to the shorter distance or just a more positive mental attitude. Experimented with a different route that brought me along the banks of the Boyne for about 3.5Km. The sound of running water usually has one of two effects on me. It either has charms to sooth the savage beast or precipitates an urge to add to its flow. Thankfully the savage beast was soothed today.:D

Feeling good about Raheny on Sunday. I missed out on 3 races through the icy spell and am chomping at the bit now to feel the wind through what little hair I have left to me.

Prediction? I’ll be thrilled with a sub-50:00, delighted with a sub-52:30 and satisfied with a sub-55:00. I always try to foster this attitude in my athletes when bringing them to competitions. If they miss the big prize then there are other lesser ones that can be attained and still call the day a success. Let’s see if it actually works!!

Total this Week: 18:49Km
    Total this Month: 81.43Km
    Total this Year: 81.43Km
    Average runs per week: 3
    Average distance per week: 20.35Km

6.60Km in 43:25, (6:34 min/Km) around Trim at lunchtime.

There was a quick shower before I started but it passed while I was waiting for the FR305 to get a satellite lock. Had a niggle after Tuesday’s run so took a rest day yesterday. It doesn’t seem to bother me while running though.

Based on today’s run I am feeling confident of at least a sub-55 on Sunday, with a sub-52:30 in prospect if I can avoid going glacial over the last mile. I bottled the “hill” in the Lakes 10K and must have lost at least 2 minutes in that Km alone so we don’t want a repeat of that now, do we?:o

Nothing now until the warm-up on Sunday so will be searching on page 16 for this log by then.

Total this Week: 25.10Km
    Total this Month: 88.30Km
    Total this Year: 88.30Km
    Total Runs this Week: 3
    Average runs per week: 3
    Average distance per week: 22.07Km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Nothing now until the warm-up on Sunday so will be searching on page 16 for this log by then.

Good luck with that!

(and with the 5 miler on Sunday :rolleyes:)

I like the way you have a graduated target system, where success is measured along a graduated scale of accomplishment.
    Good to be fostering that attitude in kids too.

eliwallach wrote: »
    I like the way you have a graduated target system, where success is measured along a graduated scale of accomplishment.
    Good to be fostering that attitude in kids too.

I think it gets away from the all or nothing associated with finishing on the podium or not. Its harder to get it across to the younger kids, but as they graduate through the years it seems to make more sense to them.

8.18Km (5.08 Miles) in 51:43, (6:19 min/Km) Raheny 5 Mile Road Race

Needless to say I’m delighted with that performance.

Mile Splits

1 mile – 10:07
    2 mile – 10:05
    3 mile – 9:56
    4 mile – 10:06
    5 mile – 10:38

A lovely fast course, great organisation and a substantial goody-bag (no Wispa though:(). The beauty of this class of race for me is the spread in paces amongst the runners. Usually the last I see of the racing field is the heels of their runners disappearing over the hill into the distance. This time I was surrounded by other competitors from start to finish. This helped greatly with my pacing. I have been guilty before of either going out too fast or holding back too much. Yesterday not only was I racing myself and the clock, but real actual sweating gasping people.:p

Total this Week: 33.28Km
    Total this Month: 96.22Km
    Total this Year: 96.22Km
    Runs this Week: 4
    Average runs per week: 3.25
    Average distance per week: 24.05Km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭TheLargerBowl

Good stuff :)

Goody bag was a bit *too* substantial in terms of the amount of chocolate in it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Feeling good about Raheny on Sunday.
    Prediction?
    delighted with a sub-52:30

Good man mcs ;).
    Rightly delighted I hope.

• Advertisement

Yesterday not only was I racing myself and the clock, but real actual sweating gasping people.:p

Tis why I like the bigger races. Nothing worse than seeing the trail of runners disappearing off into the distance....

Well done :) Nice to meet your target. When's your next race?

Good stuff :)

Goody bag was a bit *too* substantial in terms of the amount of chocolate in it though!

I thought it was just me:D I was sure they said "now there's a man who needs feeding up" before they handed me the extra-substantial option.
    eliwallach wrote: »
    Good man mcs ;).
    Rightly delighted I hope.

Haven't stopped grinning yet:D:D:D
    littlebug wrote: »
    Tis why I like the bigger races. Nothing worse than seeing the trail of runners disappearing off into the distance....

Well done :) Nice to meet your target. When's your next race?

Next race MSB 5K, though its only 3 days before my own Club's 5 mile race on St. Patrick's Day but, what the hell, it won't kill me, will it?;)

7.17Km in 50:27 (7:02 min/Km) around Trim at lunchtime

A nice easy run around Trim today. Overcast and breezy. Took yesterday as a rest day after the exertions on Sunday in Raheny (and I don’t mean finishing off the goody bag :D ). Legs felt none the worse today, it was more of a mental effort required to try and keep an even pace. Km pace varied from 6:49 to 7:18.

Total this Week: 7.17Km
    Total this Month: 7.17Km
    Total this Year: 103.39Km
    Runs this Week: 1

6.63Km in 46:41 (7:03 min/Km) around Trim at lunchtime

Pace didn’t feel as easy as it should. Certainly not as easy as it felt prior to Snowgate. I can only put it down to a lack of mental application post-race last Sunday. Even the Wright brothers felt a bump on landing after their flight. Still, if it weren’t for the bad days we wouldn’t appreciate the good days. Roll on the good days.

Total this Week: 13.8Km
    Total this Month: 13.8Km
    Total this Year: 110.02Km
    Runs this Week: 2

7.17Km in 51:06 (7:08 min/Km) around Ballivor

Now ye’re talking:) A nice easy run, didn’t want it to end. Could have kept on going but it was nearly 11pm so not much scope to disappear off into the sunset. This was the first really enjoyable run I have had in a long time, excepting the PB in the Raheny 5 mile last Sunday. Haven’t run around Ballivor since 9th January, and that was on the snow and ice. Happy days:D.

Total this Week: 20.97Km
    Total this Month: 20.97Km
    Total this Year: 117.19Km
    Runs this Week: 3

12.28Km in 1:30:13 (7.21 min/Km) around Ballivor

At last a decent LSR. Have been remiss in this aspect of my training of late. Happy with pace and feel.

Was a bit surprised at how it went as I had spent over an hour this afternoon with the eldest and the pooch tramping around the trails of Mullaghmeen Forest and thought I might be pushing it a bit.

Only downside to running late at night, particularly at the weekend, is the number of buffoons who fall out of our licenced premises in a barely walking state. It takes a bit from the easiness and enjoyability of the run when you have to experience the gauntlet of boorish and, frankly, slightly intimidating behaviour to be seen on our streets late at night.

Total this Week: 33.24Km
    Total this Month: 33.24Km
    Total this Year: 129.46Km

Average runs per week: 3.13
    Average distance per week: 23.84Km

5.43Km in 37:20 (6:52 min/Km) around Trim

Bejaybus it was colder out there at lunchtime today than at mid-night last night. Bit of a breeze to tickle the nethers as well. Did the run with a colleague who is getting back into running. A bit faster pace than I would have predicted, meant to take it a bit easier just 12 hours after my last run but was feeling good and pace was grand.

Total this Week: 5.43Km
    Total this Month: 38.68Km
    Total this Year: 134.90Km

7.07 Km in 48:00 (7:00 min/Km) at lunchtime around Trim

Yesterday’s run was shorter than I’ve been doing of late so, despite it being the 3rd day running in a row I decided to do a 7Km today. Pace was a bit slower than yesterday but felt easy enough despite the longer distance. Easy pace is now coming in at a faster pace than before.

Total this Week: 12.5Km
    Total this Month: 45.75Km
    Total this Year: 141.97Km

10.64Km in 1:17:02 (7:14 min/Km) around Trim at lunchtime

Lovely day for a run today. Thought about doing it as my LSR for the week but was pushed for time at the end so bailed on the extra 2Km in order to get back to the office in time.

Legs felt good despite spending several hours trundling across a field yesterday at a primary school cross-country competition we were hosting. Whenever I see the joy in a child’s face when they get an unexpected medal it reminds me of just why I got into this sport in the first place. It’s all well and good me trundling around the streets, [unfortunate mental image] red faced and sweaty [/unfortunate mental image] but my real passion is for juvenile coaching.

Total this Week: 23.14Km
    Total this Month: 56.39Km
    Total this Year: 152.61Km

7.14Km in 48:05 (6:44 min/Km) in Trim

Nice run today at lunchtime. Had company again today and that helped to push/keep the pace up. Felt good, but hard with it. I’m amazed at how having someone with you can inspire you to exertions you might not consider on your own. I have always (up to this) trained alone. Just me and the wind in my stubble. While there is still a place for the solitary efforts the company is a welcome change (both pace and motivation-wise).

Total this Week: 30.28Km
    Total this Month: 63.53Km
    Total this Year: 159.75Km

• Advertisement

13.40Km in 1:34:22 (7:03 min/Km) Sunday night, Ballivor.

Longest LSR in a good while. Streets were quiet for a change. The local sergeant must have been away as the local imbibers were safely ensconced on their bar stools as I toiled relentlessly on the hard tarmac. A cool night with no wind. A pleasure of a run. I tried to be more conscious of keeping the pace constant. Typically I would tend to slow as time/distance accumulated but tonight the effort paid off. Sometimes I find running at a slower pace to be more tiring than a slightly faster one.

Total this Week: 43.68Km
    Total this Month: 76.92Km
    Total this Year: 173.14Km
    Runs this Week: 5

Average runs per week: 3.42
    Average distance per week: 26.92Km

5.28Km in 36:41 (6:57 min/Km) around Trim at lunchtime.

Nice steady run with company. No fallout from last night’s LSR during the run but a few creaks and groans after sitting down at the desk for a while;).

Total this Week: 5.28Km
    Total this Month: 82.20Km
    Total this Year: 178.42Km

4.58Km in 31:59 (6:59 min/Km) around Trim

My running companion had been advised to try running on softer surfaces due to a niggly ITB so off to the field behind Trim Castle today. It’s so long now since I have done 1Km laps of a field that I had forgotten how mind numbing and de-motivating it could be. So, only 4.58Km today before the dementors started circling and sucking the pleasure of running out of my soul.

Total this Week: 9.85Km
    Total this Month: 86.78Km
    Total this Year: 183Km

16.36Km in 1:56:03 (6:58 min/Km) in and around Trim

Looking at the weekend in prospect the chances of fitting in a decent LSR seemed remote (trip to Enniskillen and coaching on Saturday, Juv. ‘B’s – Lough Key on Sunday) so went for it today. A shocking good run even if I do say so myself. Went through 10Km in a minute outside of my current 10K PB from the Lakes last September. When I finished mine and Littlebug’s 500-mile challenge with a 17Km on 29th December it took me 2 hours and twenty minutes. Felt good the whole way, with only a need for a more focussed mental attitude over the last 5K and that was more to stem the temptation to cut the run short once I was back in the environs of Trim again. I had guesstimated the distance beforehand on mapmyrun at 15Kish so was surprised, and delighted, when it clocked in at 16.36Km. The only downside being that the extra bit made me late back to work after lunch.

Total this Week: 26.21Km
    Total this Month: 103.13Km
    Total this Year: 199Km

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Fair play to you. You are making good progress.

Keep it up :)

oh I dunno.... you're really risking permanent damage (and your job by being late) by doing these long runs. With 1-2 runs a week and half the mileage you should be fine ;)

littlebug wrote: »
    oh I dunno.... you're really risking permanent damage (and your job by being late) by doing these long runs. With 1-2 runs a week and half the mileage you should be fine ;)

Thanks Coach. I'll take that advice on board:D (maybe)

Only joking :D That's great progress.

yes I just converted your kms to miles and I see you've passed me. :(

Not sure where this has come from, though. I know I'm getting out more regularly and the mileage has increased but I didn't expect to see these types of improvements so soon. I have laboured over the past 2 years with pretty much the same times, race in, race out. Was a bit dis-heartening. If it wasn't for wanting to do all 8 races in the Meath Road Race League last year I wouldn't even have done the bit I had.

Long may it continue....

• Advertisement

8.98Km in 59:24 (6:37 min/Km) around Ballivor

As far as I was concerned this was an easy run. Didn’t look at the Garmin the whole way, so was surprised to see the pace at the end. So, an inadvertent tempo run according to McMillan.

Total this Week: 35.19Km
    Total this Month: 112.11Km
    Total this Year: 208Km

Average runs per week: 3.51
    Average distance per week: 28.11Km

Advertisement