Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reading Club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 arctic_fox

wow that was weird same posting time. to answer you it went really well.

10 people no less. altho it was a little too big a table to hear everyone at.

Hence the location change.

maybe pm you're email to theboytaylor he's in charge of emailing everyone there to keep in touch away from boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Cool, done and done. What is the next book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 lsedov

It's Philip Roth's excellent The Plot Against America from 2004.

lol. that remains to be seen. but good idea for trying to swing the train of thought before we read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I'll pick that up over the weekend, cool.

• Advertisement

arctic_fox wrote:
    lol. that remains to be seen. but good idea for trying to swing the train of thought before we read it.

Yeah, excactly, the propaganda war starts now! Even though I won't even be there next time -- it's for the sake of the idea! Hehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I know most of us are on email, but thought I'd post here anyway. We're meeting next on Tuesday 10th April (not the 17th) and the book is Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami, which, to make a change, I'm already well into already...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 morincm

Hi there, I was wondering if I could join your book club. I've been looking for one for a while and have just stumbled onto this site. What time/where will you be meeting?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Legend_DIT

We'll be meeting in Cassidy's on Westmoreland St at 8 o'clock next Tuesday. I haven't bought the book yet though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 morincm

Great! Hopefully, with the long weekend this weekend, I'll be able to get through the book before Tuesday. Looking forward to it! :)

• Advertisement

i think im actually going to finish this one! i know i wasnt at the last meeting. circumstances beyond my control but i hadnt the book read either. this time though. i think i might actually make it. lovin it so far see you guys next tuesday:D :D:D:D:D

ok so the club didnt have a huge turnout this week. i know i forgot about it until i was reminded by the boy taylor that it was on.

great book though. really enjoyed it. next time its "The reluctant fundamentalist" by moshin hamid.

good reviews from others on this one so get reading!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

hate to be annoying but what day/time/place is the next meeting (that book looks good - iv been threatening to buy it for weeks now!)

We´re meeting next on Tuesday 1st May in Cassidy´s pub on Westmoreland st.

Grand. Seems like the libraries don't have this in yet, though, so I'll have to buy it, I guess. In other words, it better be good! :)

See you on May Day then. How was the new venue in terms of everyone hearig eachther and so on? What time does the meeting start?

Just finished the book yesterday. Does anyone else feel that the books we choose in this book club are destined always to have 'heart of darkness' references?

cailinoBAC wrote:
    Just finished the book yesterday. Does anyone else feel that the books we choose in this book club are destined always to have 'heart of darkness' references?

He, he. You're right -- we're cursed!

Also, I saw an ad on Gumtree.ie asking about book clubs in Dublin, so I emailed the poster and informed her about our club. Hope everyone's okay with that; my two colleagues, who were at the meeting before the last one, just told me they wouldn't be able to join us after all, so we shouldn't be too overcrowded.

What time is the May 1 meeting?

That's fine with me. I think, realistically, people aren't always going to make every meeting, so it doesn't matter if we have a large number in theory, it probably means we'll have a comfortable number in practice. I think that other time was a one off and anyway, if that many people turn up again, I think it is better in Cassidy's than in the IFI.
    The meeting on May 1st is at 8, but don't think I can make it after all. Really annoying, because I was looking forward to discussing this book. Anyway, let me know what book you choose!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

cailinoBAC wrote:
    That's fine with me. I think, realistically, people aren't always going to make every meeting, so it doesn't matter if we have a large number in theory, it probably means we'll have a comfortable number in practice. I think that other time was a one off and anyway, if that many people turn up again, I think it is better in Cassidy's than in the IFI.
    The meeting on May 1st is at 8, but don't think I can make it after all. Really annoying, because I was looking forward to discussing this book. Anyway, let me know what book you choose!
    Hey all! I won't be there tonight as I haven't read the book... let me know what you choose for next time though. :)

So, what´s next?

• Advertisement

Next book is God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater, by Kurt Vonnegut. Date to be announced, check your inboxes and give me some feedback.

Sounds good. But it seemed to be about the only book of his that wasn´t in Hodges Figgis. I´m sure it´ll turn up somewhere else though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 yangzhao

looks like i had just missed this:(
    would love to go next meetup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭theboytaylor

Yeah, yangzhao, come along.

Would people be up for holding the next meet up on Tuesday the 29th?

sounds good. I can make it then hopefully. bit swarmed with exams etc at the moment. but im finished them on the 28th. should be able to squeeze the book in amidst the study

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

arctic_fox wrote:
    sounds good. I can make it then hopefully. bit swarmed with exams etc at the moment. but im finished them on the 28th. should be able to squeeze the book in amidst the study

Yep I should actually manage to read the book for the 29th so I'll be there
    too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 simonff

Where are the meetings held? I won't make it on May 29th, but perhaps the next time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭theboytaylor

Cassidy's on Westmoreland St.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Legend_DIT

I'll be able to make it for the 29th (but not the 22nd) if I can find the book!

Any clues people??

• Advertisement

After discussion amongst the current members, we've decided for Tuesday, May 29th, at 8pm, on Cassidy's pub, Westmoreland St. The book is, still, God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater. Hope to see you all there.

Advertisement