Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Adult Caution

• 07-01-2014 5:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hello everyone, I've had this at the back of my mind for a while now. I'm worried for my friend, we'll call him Jeremiah. I would be grateful if I could get some definitive answers please.

First off, Jeremiah has never been in trouble with the Gardaí before and has never been charged with any driving offences.

Jeremiah was issued, as far as I'm aware, with a Garda Caution 5/6 weeks ago for something very minor. He signed that A3 sheet of paper at the station before he was released (He says that he really shouldn't have because they completely exaggerated the "offence" on the sheet) and he was told that he would have a meeting with the Garda Superintendent the following week (to get the formal Caution I suppose).

My questions are as follows:

1. He still hasn't been contacted, either by phone or by mail. Should he expect to meet with the Garda SI sometime in the future?

2. Assuming that he did get the Caution, can it be removed under any circumstances? He honestly believes that the Gardaí were on a power trip that night and they were being racist.

3. Does the Caution show up in any formal kind of vetting procedures, be it for college, work etc?

4. Jeremiah does not hold an Irish passport and would like to apply for one soon. Will the caution affect naturalization?

5. Will the Caution affect travelling/studying/working abroad especially to places like the States/ Australia?

Thank you very much in advance. Any questions fire away!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Rules stop the giving of advice. Have your buddy speak to a solicitor.

BatW if the A3 sheet of paper was in a book, he signed the custody record.

Not advice but tell your friend the Minister for Justice can consider anything he wants in Naturalisation, even what is called soft information.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ozzz

infosys wrote: »
    Rules stop the giving of advice. Have your buddy speak to a solicitor.

BatW if the A3 sheet of paper was in a book, he signed the custody record.

Not advice but tell your friend the Minister for Justice can consider anything he wants in Naturalisation, even what is called soft information.

Thank you for your input.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

A quick google would have given you plenty of info on this. Not to mention there being a good few threads on here about it already. Anyway, here is a useful link with good info on the above:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/law_enforcement/adult_cautioning_scheme.html

Advertisement