Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

lighning returns

• 01-09-2012 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭

The next ff was announced. The third in ff13 series. Not sure about this. 13 was ****. 13-2 was much better. Which way will the next installment go?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I liked FF13 a lot despite the flaws. I think Square are learning from their mistakes and this one will be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Impossible to say. The announcement videos they've released are pretty cringey though if you've seen them.

It's like someone has just died or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Earthday

They must be nuts about lighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Alactric

Earthday wrote: »
    They must be nuts about lighting.

Meh, I've rounded on her. I slated the game for years before actually mustering the strength to get to Gran Pulse. And you know what, the game was fine in the end. Not great or grand or brilliant, but decent. The most vehement criticism came in the immediate months post release. It's THE standard opinion degradation formula.

1: Game comes out to much hype, Reviews are enthusiastic, but obviously don't match said hype.
    2: Fans go ape**** about said reviews, commit seppuku on the games behalf.
    3: Fans actually play the damn game, find themselves agreeing with the the reviews of contention.
    4: 6 months later, the games flaws are perfectly self evident and are being pointed to by the freaking developers of the game.
    5: Fans act like the brand was made of human feces to begin with and pretend they didn't defend it.

This exact same **** has been happening since 7. And was 7, 8, 9, 10, 12 the worse for it? No. People can scream all day. A competent game like 13, does not automatically become ****, for peoples own need to necessitate melodrama. I'm sure Lightning Returns, will at least be a nice change of pace like XIII-2 if nothing else.

I really don't think there was anything fine about XIII. It had all the makings of a great RPG but was structured so badly that all that was good about it got lost. You know you have a problem when people are telling you you need to play FFXIII for 20 hours until you get to the good bit. And even then the good bit isn't so good. After 20 hours of running through tubes they throw you into a massive free-roaming area and give you about 70 hunts to do all at once. X was linear but it spaced out its side-diversions. XII was non-linear and had the hunts as an extra challenge throughout the entire game. In XIII the hunts are just another grind crammed right in at the end. All that lush green scenery gets dull after a few hours. And it's the only side-quest that XIII has.

It's by no means the worst RPG ever as some would have you believe but it's definitely the weakest out of all the 3D FFs. A 6/10 game at best.

• Advertisement

snausages wrote: »
    A 6/10 game at best.

Which is why I said it was decent? :confused:

Alactric wrote: »
    Which is why I said it was decent? :confused:

Well I said at best. I really didn't enjoy any part of XIII besides chapter 12 and the opening few scenes when it was still relatively fresh. I just can't call a game like XIII 'fine' when playing through it feels like such a chore. It's the only FF I've ever played where it took me over a year to get through it. Usually I get really involved with the games but XIII just required too much effort to enjoy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,066 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I really hope they keep Toriyama's role to a minimum this time. It was a bit depressing to see FFXIII's flaws get ironed out only for the story to turn into complete tripe.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The way people go on about FF13 you'd swear it was Legend of Dragoon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,066 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

As if there weren't enough similarities, FFXIII getting it's own Crisis Core as well.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Fresh info from Famitsu. Courtesy of Dtoid:

"The latest Famitsu uncovers a bunch of tidbits on the game's battle system. Lightning runs solo in battle, without a party! She's free to move around during battle, and in them commands won't be selected. Instead, players will select abilities assigned to controller buttons. Battles are 'close to action' and have an ATB gauge.

The world of Lightning Returns was also teased. You'll play against a constantly running clock, shown everywhere in the world. One in-game day works out to be one to two hours of real time, and actions you take in the game will increase or decrease time. Doing things like killing enemies and saving people can increase or decrease the life of the world. It seems that the game is made to be played multiple times.

Finally, the game has just one ending, and it's supposed to be a happy one. Famitsu says that Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy is 30 percent complete as of now"

...Some of that stuff sounds just plain crazy. No party? No Paradigm Shift? Direct Control? Hotkeys? And that's just the gameplay. Premise sounds bananas too. So what do you think? Are they totally throwing the baby out of the bathwater? Or is that precisely what people want from FF?

To me, it honestly sounds a bit Dragon Age 2. So I'm very intrigued, but very wary atm.

Sounds like Crisis Core to me. Thought the battle system in CC sucked so apprehensive :/

Crisis Core's combat would have been fine if it weren't for the retarded slots thing popping up constantly and the invisible random encounters every 3 feet. Type-0 has the same type of combat but it plays really well, I think it's a good idea to try something other than the paradigm system for a change.

H. H. Asquith

As if there weren't enough similarities to FFVII:

1011162_10151764259626803_449611290_n.jpg

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The way people go on about FF13 you'd swear it was Legend of Dragoon.

LOL :D

The more I read hands on previews of this the more it's sounding like a great game. Jeremy Parish really liked it. I'll definitely be picking this up.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The more I read hands on previews of this the more it's sounding like a great game. Jeremy Parish really liked it. I'll definitely be picking this up.

That'll be good enough for me. Might even pre-order it. Shame it's so far away.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement