Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Killing Animals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

Macavity. wrote: »
    What? :confused: Imagine how horrible that would be for your mother. I can't fathom your logic at all, dude.

You're the man who told me 5 minutes ago it doesn't make a difference who flips the switch the outcome is the same!
    My logic is simple- if you're loved ones have to make the choice for your life the end, they should take it. That's it. simple. A show of love, respect, courage, compassion and understanding.
    If you don't see the symbolic importance of it I can't make you understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

But she's still making the decision, just that you don't put her through the trauma of actually killing you? All you're doing is romanticising the idea of being put to death, and acting as if it'll somehow matter when you're dead and buried that someone you loved killed you instead of someone who's been trained to deal with such traumatic events.

Back to the point; Your dog doesn't think like you do, as far as they're concerned you've just killed them, they're not capable of thinking "oh he's doing this to put me out of my misery because he loves me". Why do you owe it to your dog to kill it instead of a vet doing it?

Ok look honestly, I've answered all this and articulated my point as well as I can.
    If you don't get it that's fine, its the way I see it and its the way I'd like it.
    If it's not for you, I don't mind in the slightest. i wish you a happy life and hope you get a peaceful end to that life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

Making a maze using salt around slugs is great craic!
    If they make it thru I feed them jam and release them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Resonator75

BIG disgusted lol at all the self righteous folk saying they literally would not kill a fly.. SAPS....

WHILE EATING A DOUBLE CHEESEBURGER OR DENNY RASHERS IN THE MORNING.....

Bloody hypocrites, pay someone else to kill the animal so you can post guilt free cr@p on the internet, think a little bit maybe.

Something has died for a hell of a lot of material used in our 'modern' civilization.

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Its more effort to go get a swatter than open a window :(

I just open it up, its doing no one any harm

And Ive never eaten a double cheeseburger in my life :P

I just feel bad to killing something :o

Do you eat meat? Wear leather shoes? And Pi$$ off, not self rightous, just calling out all out precious pussies here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Insects are animals as are humans btw.
    _Redzer_ wrote: »
    Well, kind of. Individually they've higher ecological roles and ranks in nature -in the seal's case, and a dog has more importance for humans' uses and needs. Collectively as a species, they're all just as important.

But the fact that insects have no spindle fibres or any advanced neurological system that allows them to feel pain means you wouldn't feel as guilty if you killed a fly.

Bees and ants especially are vital to the planet, humans are not, a humbling thought.

Insects do have a central nervous system. So can I ask you how you know that insects don't feel pain? While some people might say but insects must feel less pain than us so it's ok. That seems to me a very weak argument. Each individuals life is as important to that individual as ours is to us. Do people really care if they feel pain or not? It's seems pretty odd to measure pain, like some pain is then ok? :confused: Their nervous systems may be more primitive, that's about all we know. Oysters have an even more primitive system. But you can choose pain and violence or you can object to it, I'd rather object. Where I would draw the line with killing an animal is if it was in self defence maybe, that's about it.

Insects are easily dealt with, without hurting them, so why not leave them be and get on with your life and them with theirs. Spiders, flies etc, I usually just trap them and free them outside. I had to drag my mother away from a mosquito earlier, she wanted to kill it even though it was outside my front door, why?? I don't honestly understand that. I just said nah, leave him be, he's not doing any harm. In my building people are always complaining about the fruit flies and whenever I'm in someone else's house I see those icky sticky tape things that catch them. How I deal with them is put a piece of banana in a bag, make a few tiny holes in the bag, the flies will go in but won't be able to come out, then you just check back in a while, take the bag outside and open it and away they go. Either that or direct them outside with light by turning the lights off inside, close the curtains and open the door so that they are attracted to the light outside, you can shoo them out with a towel. They're happy, I'm happy, it's not any more effort than chasing them with a fly squatter or something.

djflawless wrote: »
    Making a maze using salt around slugs is great craic!
    If they make it thru I feed them jam and release them!

I like the way your mid works, lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

Carry wrote: »
    Sorry, no offence, but you seem to live up to your name.

You don't owe to your dog to kill him yourself, you owe him to give him the most painless way out of his life if that's the only way. And that's by a vet who knows what he or she is doing.

As for your "mother switching of the life support" - that's a plain stupid argument, for several reasons I won't even start to get into.
    Sorry to bother you Carry, but I was too lazy to type and now what the feck am I doing. That post that you replied to is a fecked up notion from someone who has never lost someone close. Are they mad?? or is it
    just me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

Just killed a fly that was on my screen.

When is it ok to kill an animal because it annoys you or something else trivial? What animals do you draw the line with?

Edit: Insects ARE until proven otherwise. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal

Little Fly
    Thy summer's play,
    My thoughtless hand
    Has brush'd away.

Am not I
    A fly like thee?
    Or art not thou
    A man like me?

For I dance
    And drink & sing;
    Till some blind hand
    Shall brush my wing.

If thought is life
    And strength & breath;
    And the want
    Of thought is death;

Then am I
    A happy fly,
    If I live,
    Or if I die.

William Blake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Do you eat meat? Wear leather shoes? And Pi$$ off, not self rightous, just calling out all out precious pussies here.

Leave Hugsie alone! :mad: She can't help that she's a weirdo :p :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

--LOS-- wrote: »

Bees and ants especially are vital to the planet, humans are not, a humbling thought.

Insects do have a central nervous system. So can I ask you how you know that insects don't feel pain? While some people might say but insects must feel less pain than us so it's ok. That seems to me a very weak argument. Each individuals life is as important to that individual as ours is to us. Do people really care if they feel pain or not? It's seems pretty odd to measure pain, like some pain is then ok? :confused: Their nervous systems may be more primitive, that's about all we know. Oysters have an even more primitive system. But you can choose pain and violence or you can object to it, I'd rather object. Where I would draw the line with killing an animal is if it was in self defence maybe, that's about it.

Insects are easily dealt with, without hurting them, so why not leave them be and get on with your life and them with theirs. Spiders, flies etc, I usually just trap them and free them outside. I had to drag my mother away from a mosquito earlier, she wanted to kill it even though it was outside my front door, why?? I don't honestly understand that. I just said nah, leave him be, he's not doing any harm. In my building people are always complaining about the fruit flies and whenever I'm in someone else's house I see those icky sticky tape things that catch them. How I deal with them is put a piece of banana in a bag, make a few tiny holes in the bag, the flies will go in but won't be able to come out, then you just check back in a while, take the bag outside and open it and away they go. Either that or direct them outside with light by turning the lights off inside, close the curtains and open the door so that they are attracted to the light outside, you can shoo them out with a towel. They're happy, I'm happy, it's not any more effort than chasing them with a fly squatter or something.

They don't have spindle fibres and an advanced neurological system capable of feeling pain, I never said they lacked a nervous system. Fish do not feel pain because they lack the structures needed to do so. They work on reflex -but do not seem to respond to pain.
    I'm not advocating pain and violence, so I'll stop you there before you get ahead of yourself.
    I just said you wouldn't feel as guilty for killing an insect because it can't feel pain, but I said, sure go ahead and kill as many as you like, either. Collectively as a species, they are as important as any other animal.

Humans have our place. We are natural and we have had our place in evolution, in a similar way chimps and our relatives do now. In modern times that has changed, but we are vital to the ecosystem in other ways. After natural disasters can we not save certain species from extinction and change their fate, even if it's not our fault they're on the brink of extinction, like salamanders in one small region in china after a landslide?
    We can prevent or mitigate acts of god and protect ecosystems when we want to.
    We could prevent total catastrophe and mass extinction by using our technology to destroy an on-coming meteorite.

We might cause a lot of destruction, but we are also the protectors of the planet, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

BIG disgusted lol at all the self righteous folk saying they literally would not kill a fly.. SAPS....

WHILE EATING A DOUBLE CHEESEBURGER OR DENNY RASHERS IN THE MORNING.....

Bloody hypocrites, pay someone else to kill the animal so you can post guilt free cr@p on the internet, think a little bit maybe.

Something has died for a hell of a lot of material used in our 'modern' civilization.

Worked in a meat plant for a while,normally don't kill things unless they get annoying.

Is that acceptable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

HugsiePie wrote: »
    I dont kill flys or insects spiders slugs etc........I have no problem with opening the window and ushering them out/finding a bit of junkmail and getting them onto it and putting them outside etc.

When I say I wouldnt hurt a fly I mean it-literally

When you put house spiders outside they die anyway, when you eat meat that animal had to die. If you're a vegetarian, and you eat eggs, what do you think happens to the roosters in the egg industry? Do you wear leather?

So you don't hurt animals, you just outsource their killing? That to me seems worse than killing them yourself.

Nino Brown wrote: »
    When you put house spiders outside they die anyway, when you eat meat that animal had to die. If you're a vegetarian, and you eat eggs, what do you think happens to the roosters in the egg industry? Do you wear leather?

So you don't hurt animals, you just outsource their killing? That to me seems worse than killing them yourself.

Don't think the average householder has the knowledge,ability,equipment or capacity to butcher their own cows or pigs,never mind store the huge volume of meat if they did.As with most things in life it's best left to the professionals.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Can't say I fell sorry for the man... that's a mean way to try and get rid of a mouse.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

They don't have spindle fibres and an advanced neurological system capable of feeling pain, I never said they lacked a nervous system. Fish do not feel pain because they lack the structures needed to do so. They work on reflex -but do not seem to respond to pain.
    I'm not advocating pain and violence, so I'll stop you there before you get ahead of yourself.
    I just said you wouldn't feel as guilty for killing an insect because it can't feel pain, but I said, sure go ahead and kill as many as you like, either. Collectively as a species, they are as important as any other animal.

Humans have our place. We are natural and we have had our place in evolution, in a similar way chimps and our relatives do now. In modern times that has changed, but we are vital to the ecosystem in other ways. After natural disasters can we not save certain species from extinction and change their fate, even if it's not our fault they're on the brink of extinction, like salamanders in one small region in china after a landslide?
    We can prevent or mitigate acts of god and protect ecosystems when we want to.
    We could prevent total catastrophe and mass extinction by using our technology to destroy an on-coming meteorite.

We might cause a lot of destruction, but we are also the protectors of the planet, too.
    But this is wrong? Fish do feel pain, types of fishing are already starting to be banned due to this. Goldfish also don't have a 3 second memory... Whenever animals are tested there is a general trend of they are capable of more than was previously thought, yet people always treat x animal like it was previously thought of, through crude experimentation. Even in single cell organisms, you can notice that they will run/rotate/avoid unpleasurable stimuli, and the more complex the animal gets the harder it is to understand how it works. General research says inconclusive, as they don't know.

Pain is far too complex to just say x animal doesn't feel pain, we judge it based on similarity and observation which are often poor metrics and erring on the side of caution in such things is preferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Flies, mosquitoes, spiders, rats, rabbits, possums, pigeons, seagulls. I will happily kill them all. They are pests.

In fact, I have no issue with killing any animal as long as its not an endangered species.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

--LOS-- wrote: »

I hope you don't drive your car/go on a bus on a summers day. Pretty much genocide with the thousands of insects splattered across the front of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Lot of double standard thinking here. On a forum where the vast majority spew scorn and vitriol on all travellers / addicts / unemployed, it seems the same majority would literally not hurt a fly!

I respect vegetarianism and the rationale behind it. I think veganism is a bit barmy but very much respect the efforts and sacrifices of vegans. Tough station.

Intensive beef, pork and poultry farming is morally dubious at best. Unfortunately I don't think it will ever change for the better. Certainly not because of revised moral standards.

But we are hunters. We don't need to go very far back in time to where almost everybody would have known how to set snares, traps, shoot bows and kill animals gladly.

It's a biological necessity.

I really don't understand the 'big game' hunter thing. But I do understand its vital role in some developing economies. It's a complicated argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I do my best to tread lightly upon this Earth, and won't kill anything unnecessarily. Killing animals for food is alright with me as long as all reasonable measures are taken to ensure humane deaths. But... I do not tolerate insects or arachnids where I sleep, eat or wash. I'm sorry, but that's a paddlin'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Well, kind of. Individually they've higher ecological roles and ranks in nature -in the seal's case, and a dog has more importance for humans' uses and needs. Collectively as a species, they're all just as important.

But the fact that insects have no spindle fibres or any advanced neurological system that allows them to feel pain means you wouldn't feel as guilty if you killed a fly.

spot the lad who failed biology

spot the lad who failed biology

Is it Wally?

kneemos wrote: »
    Don't think the average householder has the knowledge,ability,equipment or capacity to butcher their own cows or pigs,never mind store the huge volume of meat if they did.As with most things in life it's best left to the professionals.

Of course not, but you can't really say you're against killing animals when you're paying somebody else to do it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

I love the way on threads like this that the vegetarians/do-gooders always come out and attack the people who try their best not to kill animals themselves and complete ignore the people who say they pull apart flies/worms for fun... :rolleyes:

Of course not, but you can't really say you're against killing animals when you're paying somebody else to do it for you.

There's a difference between killing for food and swatting a fly unnecessarily,one is necessary the other isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

I'd have no hassle killing any animal.
    Even sweeter when I get to eat what I kill

Heck I reckon I could be an executioner!!

kneemos wrote: »
    There's a difference between killing for food and swatting a fly unnecessarily,one is necessary the other isn't.

Well that depends on your definition of necessary. Flies carry disease, I don't want to eat them, but I don't want them near things I do want to eat either.

If my girlfriend see's a spider, she freaks out, and starts screaming. Either her or the spider has to go, because I can't be dealing with that, and the law is much more lenient towards the killing of spiders, so the spider's gotta go!:D

Well that depends on your definition of necessary. Flies carry disease, I don't want to eat them, but I don't want them near things I do want to eat either.

If my girlfriend see's a spider, she freaks out, and starts screaming. Either her or the spider has to go, because I can't be dealing with that, and the law is much more lenient towards the killing of spiders, so the spider's gotta go!

That's what the thread is about,when is it necessary to kill an animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I don't see how it has.. Why does it matter who kills the dog? I'd rather be killed by a doctor than my mother, wouldn't you?

Shooting your bloody dog is less painful than an injection? I've heard it all.

Ever considered the stress and agony that a dying dog experiences when being transported to the vet and than handled by a stranger that puts a needle into it. Needles are not painless either and even the puniest .22lr shot through the brain will have the dog dead on the ground before it's even heard the shot.

If a dog needs putting down because of attacks on humans or livestock I'd definitely consider shooting it before I'd go down the road of trapping and transporting to the vet and all. Nothing cruel about it, instantaneous when done properly.

• Advertisement

Ever considered the stress and agony that a dying dog experiences when being transported to the vet and than handled by a stranger that puts a needle into it. Needles are not painless either and even the puniest .22lr shot through the brain will have the dog dead on the ground before it's even heard the shot.

If a dog needs putting down because of attacks on humans or livestock I'd definitely consider shooting it before I'd go down the road of trapping and transporting to the vet and all. Nothing cruel about it, instantaneous when done properly.

If you're not a farmer or drug dealer access to weapons is severely restricted.Shooting your beloved pet in the head just might be a tad gruesome for most people .

Advertisement