Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

You could start off with a new counsellor by explaining the problems you had with the previous one perhaps so they're more equipped to be helpful?

I might ask my GP to refer me to one.
    Partly it is my fault for being so reluctant, I am scared to talk about about it but the logical part of me thinks "no point bottling it up, will burst some day".
    I could see one here for this year, then if I get into Uni I am sure I can get one in the UK if I need it also?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Hotfail, I think we can all identify. One thing I'm pretty strict about with myself is that feeling of "meh, I cant be arsed doing anything"... because if I force myself to do something I actually usually perk up and enjoy it.

I always go to the gym saying "God I don't want to be here" and then we start sparring and next thing you know, I'm not thinking all those circular negative thoughts, I'm thinking "Woaah, if he hits me I'm gonna get mashed!" (my trainer is a big bloke :) ).

The point is that I come out feeling a lot better for having gone. So now my mantra is:

Get up, get out get on.
    Get up from the chair/bed/whatever. Get out of the house, no mopping, no lounging around. Get on to my mates and see if anything is happening or if anyone is doing anything interesting or is interested in going out.

I'm glad you are going to the doc, maybe he can refer you to a counsellor. Don't be freaked by the idea of talking to a professional, hell you just talked to a bunch of strangers online :).... really, its actually good to feel like you are meeting this thing head on. Don't just accept it (and it sounds like you aren't!), fight back. reclaim your life.

Oh and you're 18... I really REALLY don't want to sound patronising because I hate that, but it really gets better. I know everyone tells you that you're youth are the best days of your life but I have to say, I think that's rose-tinted bollox. Life gets better and when you shrug this demon off your back, you will be back to the person you want to be and everything will be better. Trust me on that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

DeVore wrote: »
    Hotfail, I think we can all identify. One thing I'm pretty strict about with myself is that feeling of "meh, I cant be arsed doing anything"... because if I force myself to do something I actually usually perk up and enjoy it.

I always go to the gym saying "God I don't want to be here" and then we start sparring and next thing you know, I'm not thinking all those circular negative thoughts, I'm thinking "Woaah, if he hits me I'm gonna get mashed!" (my trainer is a big bloke :) ).

The point is that I come out feeling a lot better for having gone. So now my mantra is:

Get up, get out get on.
    Get up from the chair/bed/whatever. Get out of the house, no mopping, no lounging around. Get on to my mates and see if anything is happening or if anyone is doing anything interesting or is interested in going out.

I'm glad you are going to the doc, maybe he can refer you to a counsellor. Don't be freaked by the idea of talking to a professional, hell you just talked to a bunch of strangers online :).... really, its actually good to feel like you are meeting this thing head on. Don't just accept it (and it sounds like you aren't!), fight back. reclaim your life.

Oh and you're 18... I really REALLY don't want to sound patronising because I hate that, but it really gets better. I know everyone tells you that you're youth are the best days of your life but I have to say, I think that's rose-tinted bollox. Life gets better and when you shrug this demon off your back, you will be back to the person you want to be and everything will be better. Trust me on that :)

couldn't agree more with this.
    it's amazing how much better you feel about yourself and surroundings after getting up and tackling something like a morning's exercise.
    i hit the gym hard 3 times a week before work and i mean hard. a heavy weight lifting program to help get the energy levels up and burn some pounds.
    even this morning i felt like rolling over and saying feck it not today but a few seconds off thought on well I'm awake any ways and broken sleep is crap sleep so get up and go.
    find something that you enjoy doing an it make it happen

also this has been getting good air time again on my youtube channel cause this is 7 words that everyone should live by

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

I'm starting to think most of my depression/anxiety is caused by my mother. We just don't get along , she constantly criticises me and then complains about me overexaggerates everything. I'm a laid back person I don't ever get angry with anyone . My mothers the only one who ever makes me so angry to cry. I just seem constantly like I'm walking one eggshells at home trying to avoid an argument .

I believe it's extremely stressful, in a very insidious way, when a person's mother is not caring enough. I've seen it in my own extended family, I've seen it with friends and I've seen it in partners. The stress and the upset that it causes to the child (from age 8 to 80) of a less-than-caring mother appears to have terrible effects, which can be often subtle and slow-growing in nature. When mothers perpetually criticise, disapprove, neglect to show love and pride, it can be absolutely devastating to their child. A child no matter what age, even into adulthood, craves support, love, care, and affection from their mother. It's one of the most basic needs of a human. When the mother doesn't provide that (or worse, actively provides the opposite) it can be like a kick in the stomach over and over again. I've seen it happen with a good few people people and it's really, really sad to witness.

I guess it's possible and probable that mothers like that are deeply unhappy in themselves. It's a tricky one because the mother is supposed to take care of the child, that is nature, not the other way around, so it can be really tough to come around to the idea that it may actually help you to try to put this fire out by simply showing more and more love to your mother, in the face of adversity, and watch how things unfold over time. Maybe she didn't get enough love herself growing up, and therefore simply doesn't know how to give it. Maybe you're going to have to teach her how to be loving by taking plenty of deep breaths and being extra-loving to her even when she isn't being to you. And do it long-term. She may be deeply unhappy inside, and this might be exactly what she needs. And in return it may lead to you having a more supportive and loving mother.

She can't do what she doesn't know and, as I said, it's possible that she simply doesn't know how to be loving. She may need to be loved more. And it does go against nature for the child to be the minder instead of the mother, so it would take an awful lot of courage and perseverance in the face of sadness and frustration for you to try this, but it could change everything for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

failinis wrote: »
    I don't know if I am depressed or not but I know I have been in the past.
    I've had a rather hard year in 2013, I can't really go into what happened as this is a public forum, but you know, it is one of those things you cope with in the short term, put it in a box and one day in the future it will jump out and destroy you.
    Additional to that there have been rather serious medical scares and illness to relations of mine and genetically I am literally waiting for the symptoms to get worse at the moment.
    Left school this year, doing a course before going to Uni, I am a bad worrier, so I feared of what the future will bring, what if I am too **** at this, what if I don't get into Uni or I never get a steady job and my illnesses impact me far more than I expect or things like that.
    Since I left school only one friend has kept in touch with me which makes me feel isolated and she is going away this year to Uni, I don't know, I just know I feel really **** and when I go to my GP she wants me to go through with court etc but I cant stand the thought of giving evidence and I really cant. I don't know.

i am a worrier as well. I constantly worry about everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

whirlpool wrote: »
    I believe it's extremely stressful, in a very insidious way, when a person's mother is not caring enough. I've seen it in my own extended family, I've seen it with friends and I've seen it in partners. The stress and the upset that it causes to the child (from age 8 to 80) of a less-than-caring mother appears to have terrible effects, which can be often subtle and slow-growing in nature. When mothers perpetually criticise, disapprove, neglect to show love and pride, it can be absolutely devastating to their child. A child no matter what age, even into adulthood, craves support, love, care, and affection from their mother. It's one of the most basic needs of a human. When the mother doesn't provide that (or worse, actively provides the opposite) it can be like a kick in the stomach over and over again. I've seen it happen with a good few people people and it's really, really sad to witness.

I guess it's possible and probable that mothers like that are deeply unhappy in themselves. It's a tricky one because the mother is supposed to take care of the child, that is nature, not the other way around, so it can be really tough to come around to the idea that it may actually help you to try to put this fire out by simply showing more and more love to your mother, in the face of adversity, and watch how things unfold over time. Maybe she didn't get enough love herself growing up, and therefore simply doesn't know how to give it. Maybe you're going to have to teach her how to be loving by taking plenty of deep breaths and being extra-loving to her even when she isn't being to you. And do it long-term. She may be deeply unhappy inside, and this might be exactly what she needs. And in return it may lead to you having a more supportive and loving mother.

She can't do what she doesn't know and, as I said, it's possible that she simply doesn't know how to be loving. She may need to be loved more. And it does go against nature for the child to be the minder instead of the mother, so it would take an awful lot of courage and perseverance in the face of sadness and frustration for you to try this, but it could change everything for you.

Hmm thats interesting that you said she could be unhappy with herself I think she could be she complains all the time saying how she hates her life sometimes that her life would've been better if she didn't have me (only occasionally she's said this) that she'd be better off since she didn't complete her degree. She argues with her family a lot is talking terms with most but always ends up in arguments . I'm also the sort of person who doesn't like talking about my feelings or emotions fairly quiet which she hates and I'm very independent. She does care but her ways are more in a overbearing way , I don't know if she just wants more control over me she gets angry very easily .
    Usually in arguments I'm trying to get her to calm down and talk not shout at me it never works if I try to leave the room or go out she won't let me or threatens me that I have to pack my bags and leave if I do. So all I can do is stay listening to her shout at me. Which just gets me upset and annoyed. I do feel this has affected me a lot and when it comes to exams as there's times I've needed to study but I've gotten stressed that I forget about studying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

failinis wrote: »
    I might ask my GP to refer me to one.
    Partly it is my fault for being so reluctant, I am scared to talk about about it but the logical part of me thinks "no point bottling it up, will burst some day".
    I could see one here for this year, then if I get into Uni I am sure I can get one in the UK if I need it also?

I'd suggest writing it down, if you find it too difficult to talk.

I couldn't tell the doc what was going, ..I originally talked to the school counsellor. When I say talked, I mean I rolled up my sleeves to show the damaged I had done. It was much easier than speaking, many find writing a letter/email to be easier than speaking. I had the counsellor contact my doctor and set up an appointment for me.

Your stressing/worrying sounds much like I am, and where I was some years back.

Colleges have college counsellors which can offer some support. Your GP is the one who can refer you to HSE services though. (Which are quite good now that they've been given decent funding.)

And yes, England also has alot of support. Universities have on site counsellors. I don't know much about the health care there, but I some friends in uni who have dealt with it and depression and I can ask them about it, if you'd like.

Back to stressing about college.
    Best thing for me was to take time out. I took a couple of years break. To rest, recover and be certain university was what I wanted, and the course was the career choice I wanted.
    I'd suggest doing a fetac in the area you're considering, but try not to worry about it. See it as just an opportunity to see what it's like while having something to do. But if it doesn't go well, it's ok. You can always repeat or do another fetac course.

There's also no rush to go into uni, if you don't feel ready for it, do some FAS courses, look around for part-time work, or volunteer somewhere for experience, and go to uni when you feel ready for it.
    There are a few fetac courses that will open up job opportunities as is. So you can always look into that next year.
    It's never too late to go into uni. It's also not the be all and end all, of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Very successful session with psychologist yesterday. I had just arrived home from Spain Tuesday and got a letter to say my psychiatrist can't see me till mid sept. Was meant to be seeing her next week. Want to talk to her to explore weight neutral med options as I've put on 2 stone in one year with the notorious meds I'm on (which have helped my mood greatly). Am down from 10mg valium to 2mg with no problems.

Would suggest Paul mckenna app 'I can make you confident' it's €4 but helping me a lot. He does visualisation techniques in the morning with you and an evening check in. Then as your going to bed he does a hypnosis session that is quite remarkable and I always fall into a deep sleep. Well worth the four euro so far.

Next suggestion is to mention EFT again emotional freedom technique (and it's free). The app 'EFT clinic' is fantastic and teaches you the history, technique and benefits of EFT which is a tapping system that actually works great for anxiety and depression and a host of other conditions.

These are the things that are working for my mood along with meds of course but I'm a firm believer that meds do 25% of the work and we ourselves do 75%.

Anyway hope you all have a good and peaceful day x

Between my sleep cycle being f-ed up and weaning off my medication I've been re-experiencing panic and anxiety on and off the past month or so, symptoms like insomnia, "choking" and "unable" to breathe, panic and fear, skin crawling etc etc.

Today I started thinking about when I was in the depths of my anxiety disorder a few years ago and one of the experiences I used to have and I'm wondering if anyone else is familiar with it. My sleep was always disturbed as I was afraid to sleep in case I died in my sleep, so I was experiencing a lot of sleep paralysis and things like that, but one of the things I also experienced a few times was that my mind would wake up within an hour of finally getting to sleep, and I felt like there were demons surrounding me trying to harm me, i.e. evil beings in my bedroom and approaching my bed who had purely evil intentions towards me, and the most intense fear I've ever experienced. Due to the sleep paralysis that this would coincide with, I couldn't move, and as it was the middle of the night I was in the dark, making the whole thing ten times worse. I always tried to scream for help but I couldn't get any sound out. I was never quite sure if I was managing to make any sound - only one time do I know for sure that I did, when my mother who sleeping in the next room was woken by my cries and came rushing in. She said the noise I made sounded like an animal roaring in pain or something.

I am agnostic and don't believe in the supernatural, so this wasn't even coming from my belief system (at least, I don't think it was!)

Anyway, I'm just wondering if any one else ever had those experiences, where you felt evil presences in the middle of the night.

I understand that intense fear is part and parcel of it, but this was actually taking the form in my mind of demons and evil. Madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭diddley

whirlpool wrote: »
    Between my sleep cycle being f-ed up and weaning off my medication I've been re-experiencing panic and anxiety on and off the past month or so, symptoms like insomnia, "choking" and "unable" to breathe, panic and fear, skin crawling etc etc.

Today I started thinking about when I was in the depths of my anxiety disorder a few years ago and one of the experiences I used to have and I'm wondering if anyone else is familiar with it. My sleep was always disturbed as I was afraid to sleep in case I died in my sleep, so I was experiencing a lot of sleep paralysis and things like that, but one of the things I also experienced a few times was the feeling that there were demons surrounding me trying to harm me, i.e. evil beings in my bedroom and approaching my bed who had purely evil intentions towards me, and the most intense fear I've ever experienced. Due to the sleep paralysis that this would coincide with, I couldn't move, and as it was the middle of the night I was in the dark, making the whole thing ten times worse.

I am agnostic and don't believe in the supernatural, so this wasn't even coming from my belief system (at least, I don't think it was!)

Anyway, I'm just wondering if any one else ever had those experiences, where you felt evil presences in the middle of the night.

I understand that intense fear is part and parcel of it, but this was actually taking the form in my mind of demons and evil. Madness.

Don't worry too much, many people who experience sleep paralysis report seeing figures in their room.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

diddley wrote: »
    Don't worry too much, many people who experience sleep paralysis report seeing figures in their room.

Yeah that's true, know two people that have had sleep paralysis and both have seen figures in their rooms during some episodes..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

I haven't had that feeling , but I think there is a fair bit of research to say that dreams are strongly influenced by what happens just before you go to sleep. So TV images/stories etc is used to process the feelings you get during the day.

I think this website is the best explainer of morning tiredness and anxiety and I think I def i have more energy if I drop emotionally arousing rumination when I spot myself doing it.

http://www.clinical-depression.co.uk/cycle-of-depression-diagram/

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Stress in work and pressure/drama in my private life has kicked off an underlying anxiety for the whole week. This is kind of new to me but I can tell its been around before, just perhaps not as clear to me as now.

Still, I'm putting my head down and barging through because I'm going on holidays this evening so I'm sure that will help... just right now I feel like a freakin' Meerkat anticipating and watching out for something to go wrong.

Pulled hamstring means I cant train right now which isn't helping. Anyway, gonna focus on getting to the airport and sod everything else right now... just posting to let you know I might be doing really well lately but still not immune to it. This too shall pass I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Despite being atheist/agnostic your subconcious mind would be influenced by religious/cultural imagery you are familiar with.

I'm an atheist and I saw a vision of Jesus in the back yard one night. As I knew rationally that I was obviously seeing an illusion I stopped dead in my tracks to study it rather than run off screaming to tell someone, "Its gone now, but I swear I just saw........!!" It was a white towel hanging on the chair beside me reflected in the glass patio doors superimposed over a plant pot with flowers flowing over the sides of the pot hanging on the rear wall of the garden. Once the illusion is mentally deconstructed it disappears but one can then make it appear and disappear at will like that Candlestick/opposing faces illusion. So the towel was the flowing white robe, the plant pot was the head/face and the flowers were the long hair. The brain searches its memory banks for something similar and drew Jesus on my visual cortex. Despite me being atheist. Its got nothing to do with being atheist per se. Its got to do with how familiar one is with religion. An atheist is actually much more likely to have a greater knowledge of religion and its imagery and thought about religion much more than the average religious person...thats why we're atheist!! :D

So I wouldn't read anything into the fact that you feel the presence of 'Demons' during your Sleep Paralysis episodes. If you lived in New Mexico you'd likely feel the presence of Aliens instead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Temporal Loop

Be aware of the stillness of now. Be aware of your being behind your thoughts, sense perceptions and emotions. Stop trying to get to the next moment. This moment is all there ever is. Accept this moment. Resistance to what is causes suffering and depression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

DeVore wrote: »
    Stress in work and pressure/drama in my private life has kicked off an underlying anxiety for the whole week. This is kind of new to me but I can tell its been around before, just perhaps not as clear to me as now.

Still, I'm putting my head down and barging through because I'm going on holidays this evening so I'm sure that will help... just right now I feel like a freakin' Meerkat anticipating and watching out for something to go wrong.

Pulled hamstring means I cant train right now which isn't helping. Anyway, gonna focus on getting to the airport and sod everything else right now... just posting to let you know I might be doing really well lately but still not immune to it. This too shall pass I guess.

I find the depression an awful lot easier to deal with than the anxiety, also it seems to be much easier understood by other people. When the anxiety gets me I seem to become extremely sensitive to sounds, not so much music but uncoordinated sounds, like lots of people talking at me at the same time. Makes me extremely anxious and agitated and at times I barely trust myself not to snap at people or my kids (that bothers me much more).

I hope things settle down a bit for you tomorrow, certainly wouldn't fancy the airport and travelling the way I'm feeling at the moment. Just get there in plenty of time so you won't have to stress about time at least.

Hope you've a great holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

I have a book the worry cure which is pretty good. Basically you can have unproductive worry - worries which you can do nothing about right now , and productive worries - worries which you can do something about right now

So it ties back into being in the present moment.

Of course its takes a lot of patience with yourself as it takes time and practice .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I'm coming off the cymbalta today. I'm down to 30mg for the last few months and I feel like I'm ready to come off. The doctor suggested alternating days but I don't think that's for me. I'll see how it goes.

Just hoping it coinciding with my period doesn't make things worse. And really just hoping I don't get any zaps. At least I have the weekend to recover if I need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Gongoozler wrote: »
    I'm coming off the cymbalta today. I'm down to 30mg for the last few months and I feel like I'm ready to come off. The doctor suggested alternating days but I don't think that's for me. I'll see how it goes.

Just hoping it coinciding with my period doesn't make things worse. And really just hoping I don't get any zaps. At least I have the weekend to recover if I need it.

I think I read that alternating days doesn't work with Cymbalta because of its short half life. The nervous system can get used different levels of these drugs in your system quite easily, its the initial change from one level to another that throws the nervous system for a hoop. With a short half life SNRI like Cymbalta when you alternate days you are enforcing a day to day state of change on the nervous system perpetuating its bad reaction to the change.

Nervous System:

Day 1 No Cymbalta: Oh, no cymbalta today? Arrgghh!! but I'll get used to it.
    Day 2 30mg Cymbalta: Wait, what? 30mg today?? Okey Dokey.
    Day 3 No Cymbalta: Oh Man, back to no Cymbalta again?? Arrgghhh!! but I'll get used to it.
    Day 4 30mg Cymbalta: Wait, what? 30mg today??

Alternating days can work with other SSRI's that have longer half-lifes like Prozac. Thats probably why your GP suggested alternating but doesn't realise that its not recommended for some SSRI/SNRI's like Cymbalta.

In fact, thats why sometimes Prozac is prescribed to help people come of Cymbalta

My GP initially started writing a prescription for 1 week of 30mg Cymbalta (I was on 60mg for a year) until I asked him did he not think a longer taper would be more advisable. He changed the script to 2 weeks worth of 30mg :rolleyes: After I got the script I actually found a full strip of 60mg that I seemingly lost behind my bed.

What I did was start taking the 30mg as directed. After 10 days I bought some paracetamol capsules and emptied the contents and started making up 15mg capsules with the remaining 30mg and 60mg cymbalta capsules. Over the course of 2 days one is ingesting 30mg of Cymbalta whether that be by alternating or by splitting capsules and talking 2x 15mg. However by alternating a short half like SNRI like Cymbalta, your nervous system is kept in a state of flux for the entire duration of your time on 30mg whereas by making up 15mg and taking daily, your nervous system is only thrown for a hoop that first day or two of 15mg and quickly acclimatises to the new 15mg dose.

After another 10 days to 2 weeks I started making up 7.5mg capsules. Again the first day or two on the new lower dose the withdrawl symptoms spiked but quickly settled.

You'll likely get the Brain Zaps while going through this but they aren't painfull just a bit jumpy and disconcerting when you make quick turns or rapid eye movements. When I moved to 7.5mg they got a bit stronger and more regular and spiked when I came off altogether for about a week then rapidly subsided.

When you research Cymbalta withdrawl, keep in mind only the people who had really bad experiences coming off Cymbalta bother to post in forums. I didn't find it anywhere near as bad or as long duration as some of the stories you read. The month or so I was tapering down to 15 and 7.5mg Cymbalta were not a complete walk in the park but neither were they unbearable. In fact I found the side-effects getting used to Cymbalta at the beginning worse than the symptoms coming off it. For instance, some people feel the need to taper for 6 months + and are counting the Cymbalta beads inside the capsule and removing 5 beads a week (a Couple of hundred beads in a capsule) etc. Me, I eyeballed it when making up my capsules and tapered in only a few short duration jumps and easily managed the 60mg to Zero in about 6 weeks.

For all I know though, maybe I would have actually been one of those people who could have managed 60-30-zero in 2 weeks as the GP prescribed and while maybe doing that I might have had worse Zaps but have been done with them after two weeks. ie. Had I known in advance how I'd react physiologically to coming off them I might have decided that I'd prefer to deal with stronger withdrawl zaps for 2 weeks and be done with them quicker than medium level zaps but spread over 6 weeks. I'll never know though as I got a bit spooked by the withdrawl scare stories and tapered off my own bat (without going to the extremes of some people with the scare stories)

You could be one of those people who's physiology can handle a short duration withdrawl, but if it turns out that the withdrawl is getting too much for you doing it that way, that doesn't necessarily mean it was a mistake to come off Cymbalta, it probably just means you would be better served by a slower extended taper.

I came off efexor before cold turkey on advice from my gp as I was trying to figure out what I was allergic to and the withdrawal was awful. I had to go straight back on it, the zaps were unbearable.

It hadn't occurred to me about the zaps occurring after the first day. Well hopefully not. I've gotten zaps before from forgetting to take them (well not cymbalta but some other one) and that was just one day. So far I'm grand, but yeah hopefully tomorrow and after will continue like so.

It turns out that doctor was fresh out of college so yeah maybe she didn't have much experience with withdrawal.

• Advertisement

I came off efexor before cold turkey on advice from my gp as I was trying to figure out what I was allergic to and the withdrawal was awful. I had to go straight back on it, the zaps were unbearable.

It hadn't occurred to me about the zaps occurring after the first day. Well hopefully not. I've gotten zaps before from forgetting to take them (well not cymbalta but some other one) and that was just one day. So far I'm grand, but yeah hopefully tomorrow and after will continue like so.

It turns out that doctor was fresh out of college so yeah maybe she didn't have much experience with withdrawal.

Shocked that your gp would advise to come off Effexor cold turkey that is complete madness.

I'm on cymbalta and wouldn't dream of going cold turkey off it. These meds need to be carefully tapered.

I've gone from 15mg down to 2mg valium in 8 weeks. Slow and steady is best.

Well as I said I was having an allergic reaction to something and had to find out asap what it was, so that's the only reason she did.

I think valium is quite a different thing.

Anyway, this isn't going too bad. Have had a few zaps, not as bad as they were before if I had forgotten an efexor. Getting more frequent though :/ tomorrow will be a bit more of an indication

Well as I said I was having an allergic reaction to something and had to find out asap what it was, so that's the only reason she did.

I think valium is quite a different thing.

Anyway, this isn't going too bad. Have had a few zaps, not as bad as they were before if I had forgotten an efexor. Getting more frequent though :/ tomorrow will be a bit more of an indication

Maybe like you said she was fresh out of college and might not have had much experience with withdrawal.
    Valium is a benzo but much more addictive than cymbalta or Effexor. But I never have any trouble coming off it. I'm on 120mg cymbalta which is the highest dose. Been on it over a year now with other stuff added in as it wasn't great on it's own. I came off citalopram before and got a few zaps but they never bothered me. Best of luck coming off cymbalta interested to see how you get on as I'm also on it.

Getting quite a few zaps now. Quite often and stronger. Having a lazy day and hoping it'll ease off by tomorrow

You know that feeling when you are severely pissed off at life/the universe for dragging you into this mess, i.e. life?

i.e. you're pissed off that you had to be born.

It's an intense anxiety feeling and it's making me pretty angry.

Rationality doesn't come into it. Rationality isn't a powerful enough tool to combat this feeling. Meditation is keeping me from completely exploding but it's not working as well as it normally would for me.

I guess it's just a case of trying to keep calm and waiting for it to pass.

I hope everyone else is having a good day.

I've so far had brain zaps, nausea, sleep paralysis, vision disturbances, headache, and teariness x 3.

Wishing I had not started on this. Or any other medication considering I don't need them.

Depending on how tomorrow goes I might have to go back on them, but break them open and half the dose. Will report back :)

Could someone explain these 'brain zaps' to me please?

They don't sound particularly pleasant, do they occur with all SSRI's?

They're a withdrawal symptoms only as far as I know. They can be very unpleasant. Hard to explain if you haven't had any. It's like a feeling of a short electric shock in your brain. They're quite disconcerting.

They're a withdrawal symptoms only as far as I know. They can be very unpleasant. Hard to explain if you haven't had any. It's like a feeling of a short electric shock in your brain. They're quite disconcerting.

that sounds pretty unpleasant indeed, what about if they happen while you're driving or something?

• Advertisement

Well I don't drive but yeah I wouldn't cycle with them.

Advertisement