Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Protestors disrupting World War 1 commemoration at Glasnevin

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

I am a republican and I have 4 ancestors who died in the war, they came from a nationalist family and some of the brothers were even in the IRA.
    In modern Ireland all the British Army WW1 celebrations comes hand in hand with being Anglo-Irish, many of the men who died weren't Anglo-Irish or unionist.

How do you make that out? Did you actually watch it today? The Irish Defence Forces were there, giving their commands in Irish. The Irish President was there, giving parts of his speech in Irish. Amhran na Bhfian was played etc etc. Did you just block all that out?

I think the perfect balance was struck between both the Irish and British dimensions to a war when Ireland was part of the UK.

Some people are just never happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Sinn Fein would protest the opening of an envelope if they thought it would get them media attention. Bunch of shameless attention whores. The people who voted for them only have themselves to blame. They should have been left in the gutter, where they belong.

Its not SinnFein its the Egri RSF and 32CSA crowd , you may want to try reading the page 1 of this thread:rolleyes:

wazky wrote: »
    I think alot of people are using this action by about 20 so called republicans as a stick to beat Sinn Fein.

There'd be one way to counter that. If SF condemned, not so much the protest itself but the nature of the protest, tomorrow then they'd shut them up straight away.

But I doubt we'll hear anything from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Jesus. wrote: »
    There'd be one way to counter that. If SF condemned, not so much the protest itself but the nature of the protest, tomorrow then they'd shut them up straight away.

You shouldn't really be commenting on things you patently don't understand.

Please do elaborate, oh happy one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,981 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

they wouldn't shut up, they won't shut up no matter what SF does
    I doubt we'll hear anything from them.

and rightly so, not their job to say anything, if they decide to great, if they don't, so be it

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Please do elaborate, oh happy one

Sigh, if you don't understand that these protesters are diametrically opposed to SF and any thing they might say, then it is time for your beddy byes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 any1butdublin3

The vast majority of the Irish population are nationalist. If they weren't we wouldn't be living in a republic. These "protesters" most definitely do not represent the views of the vast majority of the Irish people.

They aren't, it was their ancestors who were nationalists, people just assume they are nationalists because there hasn't been an offer to rejoin the union for them to accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,959 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But just look how the army were treating N.Ireland catholics just a couple of decades ago, many of those catholics had grandfathers, etc who fought in WW1, it is a pity they couldn't show some respect and compassion when marching like thugs around the streets of N.Ireland

The British army were only a symptom of the problem in Northern Ireland. The real conflict was between loyalists and republicans. Take the British army out of the equation and loyalist and republican paramilitaries would still have been waging war on each other's communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

These crazy hate filled protestors are nothing got to do with gerry adams SF BTW..

I wouldnt see any need for SF to make any statement on the matter.

• Advertisement

How do you make that out? Did you actually watch it today? The Irish Defence Forces were there, giving their commands in Irish. The Irish President was there, giving parts of his speech in Irish. Amhran na Bhfian was played etc etc. Did you just block all that out?

I think the perfect balance was struck between both the Irish and British dimensions to a war when Ireland was part of the UK.

Some people are just never happy.

I haven't seen the footage yet but I am going by attitudes of Anglo-Irish people I have experienced in the past, the sort of people who would wear a poppy and think the British Army can do no wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

They aren't, it was their ancestors who were nationalists, people just assume they are nationalists because there hasn't been an offer to rejoin the union for them to accept.

How do you know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Fact is we would not be living in a republic if the majority were not nationalist. Statement of the obvious.

Are you trying to tell me most Irish people don't support self determination?

If that was the case no one would have to make an offer. Every party in the Dáil is defacto a nationalist party.

The shinners and republican fanatics have never held a monopoly on nationalism or republicanism in Ireland.

Strazdas wrote: »
    The British army were only a symptom of the problem in Northern Ireland. The real conflict was between loyalists and republicans. Take the British army out of the equation and loyalist and republican paramilitaries would still have been waging war on each other's communities.

Yes but many of them deserve to be viewed as legalised terrorists by their actions towards people who were their own citizens, they treated them like they were aliens and in reality they were just a people with a tradition not so far removed from the northern British (Scottish)

Fact is we would not be living in a republic if the majority were not nationalist. Statement of the obvious.

Are you trying to tell me most Irish people don't support self determination?

If that was the case no one would have to make an offer. Every party in the Dáil is defacto a nationalist party.

The shinners and republican fanatics have never held a monopoly on nationalism or republicanism in Ireland.

True i suppose but many are not true Irish republicans, many are as anti-N.Ireland catholic as Willie Frazer and co.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

True i suppose but many are not true Irish republicans, many are as anti-N.Ireland catholic as Willie Frazer and co.

How do you know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,959 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes but many of them deserve to be viewed as legalised terrorists by their actions towards people who were their own citizens, they treated them like they were aliens and in reality they were just a people with a tradition not so far removed from the northern British (Scottish)

Certainly, they behaved very badly at times towards the nationalist community (Bloody Sunday, their shoot to kill policy etc) but as I said, they were merely the symptom of a violent conflict between republicanism and loyalism. It's not as if the British Army had any particular opinion on NI remaining within the UK or becoming part of a united Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Not true. Most people are sensible with the north. They are far from anti north. They would aspire to unity one day but they are not stupid and understand the complex issues involved.

This heroic bunch outside Glasnevin are not sensible. They are fanatics and scrotes. They do more damage to any prospect of progress because they are a total embarrassment. No right thinking person wants anything to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Again, the warped view of Irish republicans does not represent what republicanism actually is. How are their views on people of different or no religions, LGBT people, people of different nationalities or indeed people who have the temerity to disagree with them consistent with Liberté, Égalité or Fraternité?

I am a republican but not an Irish republican.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 354 ✭✭pO1Neil

Fair play to them, out their against savage wolves of the Free State secret police protesting against poppy fascism. More power to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

K-9 wrote: »
    A good few soldiers came back and fought for independence, but I suppose nuances are kind of lost on these people.

A good few came back and led the fight for independence. Men who were trained to fight, to strip, clean and maintain arms, trained in tactics, discipline and fitness.

Can you believe Theresa Valliers was at this? The same woman who earlier this year denied an inquest into the Ballymurphy Massacre. Shocking.

Laughable, the actual soldiers would be turning in their graves, most of them

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭FierceMild

pO1Neil wrote: »
    Fair play to them, out their against savage wolves of the Free State secret police protesting against poppy fascism. More power to them.

Free State. Poppy Fascism. Secret Police.

I've never seen so many Dissident Republican buzzwords in a sentence before.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭pojfexcsc

Strazdas wrote: »
    It's not as if the British Army had any particular opinion on NI remaining within the UK or becoming part of a united Ireland.

Of course they did they didn't spend all this time over here "keeping the peace" in many instances British Army and Loyalist paramilitaries were two cheeks of the same arse, without the help of the brits the loyalists wouldn't of been anywhere near as sophisticated or effective in their actions, intelligence gathering etc.

As much of a right they have to protest they clearly made an arse out of themselves for everyone to see, not as if dissident offshoots have any popular support in the country anyway.

Was sickened to hear Villiers had the neck to be anywhere near a commemoration for the dead after her denial of a public inquiry into the Ballymurphy massacre.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 budsalt

Besides all the kneecapping,kidnaps,executions and other punishments dished to the RC people in N/Ireland we also have Omagh and Enniskillen as well.

It would do the protesters well to remember the atrocities carried out by republicans on the people of N/Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

pojfexcsc wrote: »
    Of course they did they didn't spend all this time over here....

Was sickened to hear Villiers had the neck to be anywhere near a commemoration for the dead after her denial of a public inquiry into the Ballymurphy massacre.

The British Army are 'there' as in NI not 'here' as in the RoI - unless you are referring to pre independebce times.

Theresa Villiers is Secretary of State for Northern Ireland so was there as the UK Govt representative I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,636 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

My god the armchair republicanism of "dem brits did dis and dat to us" popping up in this thread is as hilarious as it is depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Right beside the fukking GPO? What if it was the Orange Order that were booing and heckling in two years time at the Centenary? During the minutes silence all you hear is chants of "terrorists" and "murderers" in reference to the 1916 leaders.

You'd be A okay with that?

I never said I'd be "okay" with it in any way, I simply said that I would respect their right to free expression regardless of how distasteful that expression might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Madam wrote: »
    I just love the way the Irish on here call Lizzie 'The Queen':confused:

I love how people get on their high horses about the pettiest things.

She's not our Queen but she is a Queen - why should not refer to her as such?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

in an irish context the british army will always be bad guys until the last bit of vermin who murdered a civilian in northern ireland is dead.

A word of advise - stop trying to speak for all the Irish, as if we all as blinded by hate and caught in the past as you.

The vast majority of us know it's time to move on and want to do so.

People like you are the reason the North is still a time-bomb.

Advertisement