Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any other Civil Servants not get their wages this morning?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Tow wrote: »
    The figures for how much it costs the taxpayer to fund an individual Garda pension are eye watering...

So can you link to the figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

ian87 wrote: »
    By your post you'd swear the public servants wages were going to be paid 1st as a priority over private sectors. How the funk does a IT malfunction differentiate between a public and private sector worker and thus prioritise the public servant? If somebody did a days work they are entitled to their wages on the day it is due to them. Who pays them is irrelevant. It just so happens that today is payday for a huge chunk of the public sector. Doesn't negate or belittle the private sector workers who haven't been paid either. Us public sector workers pay them same bills, rent and everything else just the same as you do.

My post was referred to the person who was talking about the "poor" nurses and Garda who didn't get paid. What makes them more important than anyone else who works?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Tow

gazzer wrote: »
    Pension of 12500 on a salary of 25,000. Yeah that is a big fat state backed pension alright :rolleyes: Its only €10 more than the Contributory Pension

What's if the state employee sits on their arse for 40 years. 50% of final salary Index and Post/Grade linked, and don't forget spouse is also looked after if the employee dies before them. Now go to a private pension provider and ask how much it would cost to buy an annuity with the same benefits.
    At least the 100% of final salary tax free lump sum on retirement has gone.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Pity there isnt as much of an outcry for the sub-contractors around the country who might never see transactions worth thousands. Or maybe even the workers who havent been paid for weeks having to be told again that their boss hasnt been paid again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

your contributions bear no resemblance of what you will take out

do a calculation of what a private sector worker would have to put in to get the pension you will get upon retirement

Noone knows what they will actually get from their pension, as we've seen from recent years :confused:

• Advertisement

So can you link to the figures?

I have see more detailed (and higher) costing in the past, but Google gives these examples:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/garda-pension-worth-11m-26518918.html

http://www.herald.ie/news/retiring-gardai-will-get-average-payoff-of-107k-28000137.html

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

This thread is hilarious! The serious issue of the banking system has been forgotten completely and it's turned into a public/private sector face off!

BOI HQ must be peeing themselves laughing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭podge3

By my calculations. the average Guard will have to live about 40 years after retirement to cost €1M in payments :confused:

I'm looking for something more substantial, with a few actual worked out figures. The Indo is the same paper which reported Gardaí had over a 100 days annual leave under the new rosters. They haven't a notion what a fact is. And the Herald figure is based off senior Garda pay before changes to pensions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

podge3 wrote: »
    By my calculations. the average Guard will have to live about 40 years after retirement to cost €1M in payments :confused:
    so to 80 then.

• Advertisement

so to 80 then.
    When I was in school, 50 + 40 was 90. Maybe the metric system is different.

so to 80 then.

You think a Garda can retire at 40?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭minion35

Is your calculations based on just taking the average age of death for any retiree in the country and multiplying it by the figure stated in the indo? I don't want to sound smart or anything but I can also count to potato. :D

Your not taking into account they can retire after 30 years service on full pension at 50, the pension is fully index linked and even after they die their spouse will still get a reduced pension. The Lump Sun is gone, but €30K compounded by say a 5% per year increase over 30+ years adds up.

Your not taking that they can retire after 30 years service on full pension at 50, the pension is fully index linked and even after they die their spouse will still get a reduced pension.

I mean, if we are going to talk circumstances, you are not taking account of the fact that a Garda would have to join the force straight from school in order to retire at 50, pretty difficult considering the success rate for applicants is 300 out of 20000 at the moment and age is not even a factor in consideration. There's also the fact that the life expectancy of someone who works that kind of shift work in a high stress job is lower than the current national average of 78. Personally, I've only ever met one ex-Garda over the age of seventy. The idea that a Garda could retire at 50 and live for 40 years is extremely unlikely.

minion35 wrote: »
    Is your calculations based on just taking the average age of death for any retiree in the country and multiplying it by the figure stated in the indo? I don't want to sound smart or anything but I can also count to potato. :D
    Eh no, the "figures" from the Indo says that just over €1M (1.1M - the gratuity) is the pension cost. Dividing this by the annual pension is about 40 years.
    Your not taking that they can retire after 30 years service on full pension at 50, the pension is fully index linked and even after they die their spouse will still get a reduced pension.
    Even if they retire at 50, very few will see 90.

The spouses pension is 50% AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

blackwhite wrote: »
    You throwing insults because I pointed out a safeguard in the system p*sses me off.

Otherwise, I couldn't really give a sh*te how you choose to pay things.

There's only person that I can see foaming at the mouth and throwing insults - what exactly is your problem?

Your smart-alecky rolly-eyed sarcasm implying that I have my head in the sand because I choose to retain control of my affairs rather than risk being embroiled in a quagmire with a large, indifferent financial institution pisses me off. I truly do not care what pisses you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭blackwhite

jimgoose wrote: »
    Your smart-alecky rolly-eyed sarcasm implying that I have my head in the sand because I choose to retain control of my affairs rather than risk being embroiled in a quagmire with a large, indifferent financial institution pisses me off. I truly do not care what pisses you off.

And it's good to know that you can be so mature about it, and don't see the need to resort to childish name-calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

blackwhite wrote: »
    And it's good to know that you can be so mature about it, and don't see the need to resort to childish name-calling.

When I'm being mature about it is when my childish name-calling gets really bad! :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

Your not taking into account they can retire after 30 years service on full pension at 50, the pension is fully index linked and even after they die their spouse will still get a reduced pension. The Lump Sun is gone, but €30K compounded by say a 5% per year increase over 30+ years adds up.

Minimum age for Garda retirement is 55. Minimum service of 30 years must also be met.

• Advertisement

FREE BOOOOOOOOOZE

Do you think my "nurses outfit" would be ID enough?

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/one-dublin-bar-special-offer-3943560

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭RedXIV

BRB wrote: »
    Minimum age for Garda retirement is 55. Minimum service of 30 years must also be met.

Ummmm no, my dad retired at 51 after 30 years.

I hope he makes it past 70 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

My post was referred to the person who was talking about the "poor" nurses and Garda who didn't get paid. What makes them more important than anyone else who works?

Who said they were anymore important? Or less so for that matter? They are as important as the mechanic who can rescue you stranded from the side of the road or a plumber who can stop the leak in your attic. People who work deserve to be paid. No arguments. Who is paying you is irrelevant. Just because they are the dreaded public service here in ah means they are fair game. I've worked in public service, private sector and self employed. I know the feeling of not knowing where your next penny is coming from and I know the feeling of safety and security in wages being in every week. I also know the feeling of successive wage cut after tax, after tax versus the unbeatable feeling of making a couple of weeks wages in a day.
    It's swings and roundabouts my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Pension of 12500 on a salary of 25,000. Yeah that is a big fat state backed pension alright :rolleyes: Its only €10 more than the Contributory Pension

This...and although the current public pensions are linked to pay , that will be gone when i retire.

I did the sums recently and as an ex-private sector worker , and if the pay/indexing goes , public pension will be slightly less and cost me more than the private one would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

InReality wrote: »
    This...and although the current public pensions are linked to pay , that will be gone when i retire.

I did the sums recently and as an ex-private sector worker , and if the pay/indexing goes , public pension will be slightly less and cost me more than the private one would have.

Run private sector pension modellers, all show that, bar the very very top of the pyramid, the gold plated Civil Service pension is an utter myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

RedXIV wrote: »
    Ummmm no, my dad retired at 51 after 30 years.

I hope he makes it past 70 :(

New requirements brought in not so long ago. Your dad obviously was in way before the new minimums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The first few pages were funny and witty

I skip to the last two pages and it's bitterness and fighting

Typical After Hours :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,955 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

mikemac1 wrote: »
    The first few pages were funny and witty

I skip to the last two pages and it's bitterness and fighting

Typical After Hours :pac:

This is why we can't have nice things :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 22 zool1974

I work in semi state company and no wages for us either this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

You'd have done a pretty poor job throughout your career to retire on a pensionable salary of only 25k.

You'd pretty much have to have been passed over for promotion for 40 years and have been refused every increment. Anyone who retires from a public service job on a pension of 12.5k should have been sacked decades ago.

Advertisement