Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tekken 6 - Tournament Dublin - 6th November 2010

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Triademan

Yop ! sorry for not showing up before...I have been mad busy recently...Could not organise anything...

I ll show up on Mantys session this sat.

TEST YOU WELL ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mantys

Thanks God Jeff!

How about making it a tournament? Last one in this year? And kicking off the real deal in 2011? Monthly Tournaments and stuff?

If anybody is interested, post here guys! (Or I'll maybe make another thread)

1) Triademan (K.O.I.F.)
    2) Mantys

P.S. If you guys don't want to make it a tournament, we'll just play for fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 nani

Weed show up, but were only gonna be 3 as one of our guys has no motiv at all as it is at the moment.
    As for the time - good would be this sunday in Xgc - provided its open nad if I will find it, as i am the driver :) (any info if there is a parking space near it)?

Weed have our controllers with us - that is the least prob. Just need confirm if anybody else can make it and most importantly if the cafe is open!?

Both tournament and fun play is OK with us as long as its atleast 2+ hours...

Mantys and Triademan - guys, whats your mains!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

There are no meetups for the same reason there are no match vids for the same reason there aren't many good players.

Tekken is dead.

Nobody plays it.

The field at CXC was a mighty three entrants when signups were meant to close and a handful of us threw in just to make up numbers.

You cannot kill that which has never lived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

nani wrote: »
    Weed show up, but were only gonna be 3 as one of our guys has no motiv at all as it is at the moment.
    As for the time - good would be this sunday in Xgc - provided its open nad if I will find it, as i am the driver :) (any info if there is a parking space near it)?

Weed have our controllers with us - that is the least prob. Just need confirm if anybody else can make it and most importantly if the cafe is open!?

Both tournament and fun play is OK with us as long as its atleast 2+ hours...

You can park in the Jervis Centre car park which is quite close.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

We were kinda surprised with how unpopular Tekken was at CXC considering it was one of the most popular fighting game events at Q-Con this year. But as has been said earlier, if the players don't attend tournaments then they can't expect people to keep running 'em!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Vyze wrote: »
    We were kinda surprised with how unpopular Tekken was at CXC considering it was one of the most popular fighting game events at Q-Con this year. But as has been said earlier, if the players don't attend tournaments then they can't expect people to keep running 'em!

Tekken is hugely popular with casual games players in comparison with Street Fighter.

My theory goes like this: Street fighter is learning to play the guitar, Tekken is learning to play the drums.

In Street Fighter, if you don't spend some time at the start learning execution for specials and the like, the game devolves into a boring looking set of thrown punches. There's a level of skill below which the game is no fun and visually appears to be no fun.

Playing the guitar, until you spend a certain amount of time strengthening your hands to be quick enough to change chords, the only sounds you can make are totally dissonent. Sounding crap is no fun.

In Tekken, if you are just starting, you can mash out buttons and cool things will happen. This looks and feels like you're doing well despite there being a huge skilll gap yet to climb. but it's fun.

With the drums, anyone can hit the bass and snare pretty much off the bat in 4-4 time with very minimal assistance. You're able to keep a rthym, which is fun. However, the real skill in drum playing is not yet touched or understood at all.

I genuinely think it'd be muuuch easier for the tekken lads to get people to come to tournaments if they put a bit of effort in. People where mad for it at Gaelcon, while there were about 8 people for SF.

There were loads of casual gamers at Q Con, but the only people at CxC were hardcore FG fans.

As usual, we get more replies from SSF4 players than Tekken players. :mad:

OK, we'll need some replies from you guys, from those interested in playing. I don't mind coming there on Sunday, don't know about the others.

It's important that triademan is there, one of the top players here, so...

Anyway, I don't mind organizing it anyday (Saturday, Sunday), it doesn't matter to me as I live in Dublin.
    For nani and the rest: There is a map on the cafe's web site. Check it out. You should find a place to park in Jervis, which is a minute walk away.

Please, just post here if you are interested in the tournament. The day (Saturday or Sunday) and time you can be here. The cafe opens from 10:00 on Sundays and at 9:00 on Saturdays.

@nani: If it's a tournament it will last probably for 2 hours and there will be free play afterwards. The staff in the cafe know us so the price will be less for playing. It can last for 5-6 hours, if anyone is for it.
    My main is Miguel, Alisa, Lili, Devil Jin. I'm a beginner. You should post your and your friends' nicknames here, so if it's a tournament, I can put them on a list properly.
    Triademan has to tell you himself.;)

P.S. No tracksuit bottoms please. Seriously.:D

List at the moment:(promise, I'll start a new thread)

1) Triademan (K.O.I.F.)
    2) Mantys
    3) nani +2
    6) ...

So - in our case it can only be Sunday as I am workin on Saturday.

Nani - Bryan, Jin, Kaz;
    Kickers - Bruce, Alisa;
    Ezzda - Law, Bob (hes gonna come allthough he had second thoughts);
    Shogun - Paul;

About the times - could you please double check that they are deffinetly workin on that day, just in case. ;) (thanks in advance)

I`m sure will find our way around and we could be there around 10/10:30.

Mantys - how could we exchange phone numbers!? (prefferable email, etc.)

If this is a tournament (as i understand it is) will there be a participation fee!? Whad ya think - or just playing for the sake of the game. Both would be allright with us!!

I am not sure on our level, though i`d say we are mid level players.

Is it worth posting anywhere else - maybe on TZ so someone who has interest could join us!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭batman_oh

i should be able to make it one of those days, Saturday or Sunday?
    Mains Bruce, Bryan, Nina, Kaz, Devil, Steve, Hei, Devil and will give lots of others a go
    Tekken 6 level would be slightly above average :P

Nice one guys!

List at the moment:

1) Triademan (K.O.I.F.)
    2) Mantys (org)
    3) Nani
    4) Kickers
    5) Ezzda (%)
    6) Shogun
    7) Batman_oh (%)
    8) ...

Rules for the tournament:

1) Entrance fee will be 5 euro. All the money will be collected by me before the tournament. Each player's name will be put down on a list. Any player may check the list at any time. Players who decide to leave the tournament after the first round is played will get no refund.
    2) I will try to determine the prize in the way that the first three places will get their fee back, if possible. All depends on the number of players. Last time it came to the point that players got money back and they only paid 3 euro each for the whole tournament.
    3) Depending on the number of players, we'll play either Everyone plays Everyone (if a small number of participants) or double eliminations (if 8,16, etc.) Possibly first to three, maybe even first to five.
    4) 60 seconds games, guard damage off, first stage random, loser choses the next stage.
    5) A player who lost the previous round may change his character with the same opponent.
    6) If a player feels he is being counterpicked, he may ask me to make his character choice in secret.
    7) Players who are caught cheating in the game lose the whole tournament and will be asked to leave! (usually possible with programmable sticks)
    8) Verbal abuse (as "You're cheap!", "You suck!", etc.) and any other forms of mistreating will not be tolerated.
    9) Shoulder buttons allowed. Each player must check and configure his shoulder buttons BEFORE the first round each game. Later changing will not be allowed unless the opponent doesn't mind.
    10) If a player presses the START button during any stage of play, that player immediately loses that particular round.
    11) Player who is late for his match will be asked to grow up.:D A player who is constantly late for his matches will be asked to leave the tournament.
    12) Left or right side of play is determined randomly by coin toss, unless both players agree with each player's choice.
    13) The prize will be determined by the number of players and the time the tournament takes to finish. The price for one console being used is usually 5 euro per hour, during our tournaments is halved. So, the remaining money will be distributed to first three places, in 60/30/10 fashion. (We'll see.)
    14) PS3 version of the game.

Jeff, can you please text me if you can make it this SUNDAY? I lost all my phone numbers. So just say it's you. Thanks!!!

I have a question on number 7), cause I am using a programmable Hori stick, but ofcourse I dont use the programmable functions. So is it allowed to use it, or do I have to take the ****ty tekken edition stick.

I am clear and ok on everything else.

@Nani: You can use the stick, you can NOT use the function.

Thats grand then!! :)

hi guys,

I can come sat., maybe sunday but not sure..Just let me know what time.

I am a Kazuya player.

I play these ones as well : jin, Feng, wang, Eddy, Leo, Paul and Bruce

TEST YOU WELL ;)

@Jeff: What time would it suit you the best? I was thinking about 13:00-14:00 freeplay and registrations, the tournament will start at 14:00.

I can come sooner, I don't mind. But the point is, that I would like the "new" players to meet you, as you would have the knowledge to determine their level of play.

Thank you guys!

Georges, I ll make it for 2pm !

TEST YOU WELL :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Lads,start a new thread.

People browsing through will miss this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Yeah, seriously guys posting in a thread advertising a tournament from over a month ago is silly, you gotta keep it current.

So I was wondering if Simon Lau will be apart of the tournament!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

nani wrote: »
    So I was wondering if Simon Lau will be apart of the tournament!?

I would doubt he has any clue this is even happening unless someone marches up the the Citadel of Truth and requests his wrath be present.

Advertisement