Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best SatNav out there?

• 02-10-2013 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭

Whats your best option to buy at the moment and why?

Not too pushed on having Bluetooth or any of that in it.. just navigation really.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tomtom XXL is very good in my opinion. 119 in Argos.
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5043756/Trail/searchtext%3ETOMTOM.htm
    Watch some review on youtube or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

Are Garmin maps not considered better or are they much the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tbh, when it comes to Garmin/Tomtom etc it's very much a matter of preference.
    Garmin are supposed to be more up-to-date (supposedly) that Tomtom but unless you're a truck driver driving on the main roads all day every day it wouldn't be much of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Was in Serbia on the motorcycle in August using a 3 year old Garmin Zumo 660 with updated lifetime maps, met some Italians with new TomTom Riders on the latest maps, I had full coverage of all roads, they had only the very major roads mapped, in the mountains where I met them they were relying on ordinary maps as no roads were displayed, Garmin, the only job whatever you say about them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Still hard to beat Google on my android galaxy s3. As long as you have a decent unlimited package. Garmin nuvi 50 is my daily runner for work as a delivery driver. Far from faultless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

brokenarms wrote: »
    Still hard to beat Google on my android galaxy s3. As long as you have a decent unlimited package. Garmin nuvi 50 is my daily runner for work as a delivery driver. Far from faultless.
    indeed, but next to useless when abroad and even when you have stored routes you wont have the traffic info so far from ideal.

and even when in your home country, how does it cope with lack of reception which is fairly frequent when going cross country? has it a buffer of the route when you setup the route?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

indeed, but next to useless when abroad and even when you have stored routes you wont have the traffic info so far from ideal.

and even when in your home country, how does it cope with lack of reception which is fairly frequent when going cross country? has it a buffer of the route when you setup the route?

Personally on my phone, I have loads of memory with the mini sd . So I have saved the google maps on my phone. I work on a catchment area that has fairly good 3G anyways.
    My argument with Garmin is:
    Why cant we use a better mapping company other than Navteq.
    Why cant we overlap google map via the mobile internet so we can use businesses names and landmarks in the search terms.

These seem like things the mobile phone market have done years ago, yet dedicated satnavs are simply years behind. The Tech is there .

If it was not for the ergonomics and functionality of the Garmin hardware , they would be gone from my cab.

Advertisement