Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Most incorrect thing you were taught?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

doctor working ie the emergency room one weekend, a kid is brought in after been in a hit and run, the doctor sees him, and screams "NO, thats my son!"
    but the doctor wasnt the boys father...

riddle me that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

doctor working ie the emergency room one weekend, a kid is brought in after been in a hit and run, the doctor sees him, and screams "NO, thats my son!"

riddle me that

Its actually shameful how long it took me to work this out the first time I heard it.

Is a mháthair atá ann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

When my sister was in primary school she was told by a teacher that men could give birth!

That teacher ended up having a nervous breakdown shortly thereafter and went totally off the rails she could be seen walking around the town for years looking completely nuts until she chucked herself in the canal.

That's a kinda sad story now that I think about it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

toexpress wrote: »
    When my sister was in primary school she was told by a teacher that men could give birth!
    IIRC men could technically, with a lot of medical intervention carry a foetus. Attached to their kidney(again IIRC). Like an artificial ectopic pregnancy kinda thing. So maybe slightly correct? I doubt they could carry it for long though and I seriously doubt they could carry one to anything like full term.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Our religion teacher told us not to let leaving cert "stress" get to us (stress? Couldnt give a sh1te myself)

Anyway, about said stress, she told us of a case a few years ago where a stressed out student had prodded himself to death using sharpened pencils up his nose in the middle of an exam, and LC exam protocol at the time prevented teachers from physically restraining him, I sh1t you not :pac: :pac: :pac:

People who believe urban legends outright should be shot tbh.

Also, we had a science teacher who insisted adding rat poison and heroin as mixers in ecstasy was common practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭wallpaper12

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Actually my geography teacher (remember, I'm in sixth year) constantly lectures me when I start a sentence with because. Not only is that the most ridiculous piece of primary school education, I dont know why hes insisting on it when I clearly make sense!

For example we did a question on meanders - I wrote "Because the river flows fast, it erodes the bank" and he circled the because. Yet English is one of my best subjects. :rolleyes:

Ok I believe that because can be used at the start of sentences but in the case you have given it sounds really bad. Something like 'The bank is eroded because the river flows fast' would have been more correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Ok I believe that because can be used at the start of sentences but in the case you have given it sounds really bad. Something like 'The bank is eroded because the river flows fast' would have been more correct.

I have to disagree. "The bank is eroded because the river flows fast" sounds better because it's the more common construction, but it's not more right. Both are perfectly correct.

"Rules" like not starting a sentence with a conjuction came about because people thought it sounded wrong, not because the grammar involved is wrong.
    As long as you've got both your main clause and your subordinate clause in the sentence, the order isn't important.
    The order isn't important, as long as you've got both your main clause and your subordinate clause in the sentence.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Don't Worry be Happy ......life is for fun .....and lotza other nonsenses from the teen years .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

riddle me that
    Doctor was his mother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭Wossack

BizzyC wrote: »
    Doctor was his mother

nah, it says doctor, not nurse

kidding...!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Was told when I was 4 that I would love school, I hated it:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

^^Wow^^

Edit: Awwwwwwwwww tennis racket guy is gone :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Our religion teacher told us not to let leaving cert "stress" get to us (stress? Couldnt give a sh1te myself)

Anyway, about said stress, she told us of a case a few years ago where a stressed out student had prodded himself to death using sharpened pencils up his nose in the middle of an exam, and LC exam protocol at the time prevented teachers from physically restraining him, I sh1t you not :pac: :pac: :pac:

Also, we had a science teacher who insisted adding rat poison and heroin as mixers in ecstasy was common practice.

A nun in my school told us that a sign you may be stressed is if you sweat blood!:eek:

Now i aint no doctor - but that's pretty fúcking stressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Father Damien your tea is ready!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mooonpie

Patchy~ wrote: »
    ...The C is there, and the I isnt before the E. So thats actually following the rule?

I remembered another one today. Not exactly something I was taught but the riddle "Brothers and sisters I have none, but this man's father is my father's son" with the answer being "hes looking at a picture of himself" makes no sense. The dad is his own son?
    Once again, a primary school teacher. :rolleyes:

I've always heard that as:
    "Brothers and sisters I have none, but that man there is my father's son"
    Which would fit the answer you were given ("hes looking at a picture of himself")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Nope, Carr was the old Irish word for Charoite, it predates the word Car in literature.

Gluastain is a recent made up word.;)

:eek:

I was certain that carr was the recent made up word and gluastain was the old and proper word.
    Well you'd think it wouldn't you, just a lazy translation, stick on an extra letter there for carr and it's looks Irish, be grand.

Well there is something I've learned today

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

Had a teacher in primary school she was the headmistress. We all had to sing in the school choir no matter now bad we were and stand along the back of the classroom in a row.

She would have a chair in front of her while we sang and would beat... I mean beat!.. a metre stick off it until we got in rhythm. When the metre stick broke she would use a tin whistle till it bent. She was a scary *itch.
    Her tongue would be bent in her mouth and she would bite it between her teeth cause we were mostly crap and singing some opera ****e!

If all of this didn't work she would walk along sticking 4 of her fingers in each and everyone of our mouths till we opened wide enough to get the notes out properly. I will never forget the smell of coffee and fags off her manky fingers.

If all else failed then she would just fcuk the duster, (you know the one with the wood at one side and green sponge at the other) in the general direction of the group. dont know how one of us didn't get knocked out!

So opening your mouth 4 fingers wide.... doesn't make you a better singer.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

That I'm not a girl...I'm a hen.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

jessiejam wrote: »
    If all of this didn't work she would walk along sticking 4 of her fingers in each and everyone of our mouths till we opened wide enough to get the notes out properly.

Luckily she wasn't a priest in a boys school - god knows where those fingers would have ended up!
    Wibbs wrote: »
    IIRC men could technically, with a lot of medical intervention carry a foetus.

I remember back in Primary School, slightly before the time that movie Twins came out, there was lots and lots of pop science talk about male pregnancy - everything from National Enquirer to actual reputable sources.

I figure there must have been some teachers or ecumenical conference the idea came up at, because I've heard it mentioned in relation to primary school teachers before. My first class teacher - who was near her 60s and was a woman of science and real feminism - was very keen on the idea that men and women might be able to 'share' a pregnancy - the first few months in a male, then finish it off in the female's womb. I remember her wondering about the potential nutrional benefits/drawbacks.... then dressing it up in some sort of spiritual mumbo-jumbo for the thickos in the class in case it got reported back to any of the nuns in the school!

Same teacher was the one that got the school to spend £180 on maps drawn from satellite images that showed the true size of countries (up until then, most of the maps used in our school, at least, made Europe look bigger than it was and reduced the size of Australia and certain other countries for aesthic/political reasons. Hard to believe in this day and age, but once we left that school - boys had to leave after first class - we went back to using the 'wrong' maps, and woe betide any child that tried to tell Christain Brothers that they had seen a more accurate map in a girls school!)

• Advertisement

Ah ha Twins, what a great film

All the lads in primary school class were astounded by Schwarzenegger's physique, sure what young lad wouldn't be

And he never slept in a bed, he always slept on the floor

Ah, so that's the key, the Mammy thought I was mad but I slept on the floor too
    So did the rest of the lads in the class :)

psicic wrote: »

I remember back in Primary School, slightly before the time that movie Twins came out, there was lots and lots of pop science talk about male pregnancy - everything from National Enquirer to actual reputable sources.

That was Junior

Twins was a great film, Junior was trash

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

One of the most incorrect things I was thought (Im not blaming the teachers in the slightest for this) was that traits gained during a life time like faster running ability or increased memory arent passed on to your children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

mikemac1 wrote: »
    :eek:

I was certain that carr was the recent made up word and gluastain was the old and proper word.
    Well you'd think it wouldn't you, just a lazy translation, stick on an extra letter there for carr and it's looks Irish, be grand.

Well there is something I've learned today

English and Irish, and most other languages in Europe share a common ancestory, there are bound to be a few words common between both that mean the same thing.

Same for the word Ród meaning road, looks like a made up word, but it goes right the way back too.

Another interesting thing is when Irish words get borrowed into English.

Ever here an American say 'So Long'? Slán:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

psicic wrote: »

Same teacher was the one that got the school to spend £180 on maps drawn from satellite images that showed the true size of countries (up until then, most of the maps used in our school, at least, made Europe look bigger than it was and reduced the size of Australia and certain other countries for aesthic/political reasons. Hard to believe in this day and age, but once we left that school - boys had to leave after first class - we went back to using the 'wrong' maps, and woe betide any child that tried to tell Christain Brothers that they had seen a more accurate map in a girls school!)

I think nearly every map is like that. Obviously except for the specifically made ones. But an average map has all the scales mixed up.

Ever here an American say 'So Long'? Slán:eek:

I heard another one

When the Irish arrived in the USA they were poor so lived in the worst parts of the cities, the blacks were there too.

Excuse the spelling; dtuiggeann tú? got picked up by the locals and you hear it nowadays, dig it? Can ya dig it?

Same meaning, do you understand

Don't know if it's true but I suspect it is. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I also had to argue with a (different) JC teacher because she thought (as the rest of the class did) that to find the difference between a positive and negative number you subtract it
    It is, just not the way she said it

20-(-6)=26

Difference, is, by definition, subtraction.
    Quazzie wrote: »
    So November is in Autumn now? :confused: The Equinox marks the middle of the season which means that Summer if May June July which means Spring is February, March, and April.
    In Britain and Ireland the start of summer was traditionally 1 May. Other societies and place attach different definitons to the seasons. Remember in Australia, that Christams is at the height of summer.
    LordSutch wrote: »
    I had heard of this before, but I thought it was an urban myth! but if its true, why 'Gold' (instead of Orange)?
    There was a song about 1980 that went on about the green, white and old. It suited ignorant republicans as they could then exclude the orange tradition.
    the irish flag used to have a gold harp on it. when it was taken off it was known as green, white and gold. the "orange" instead of "gold" is only fairly recent teaching - it was always thought as green white and gold.

That was a completely different flag: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_harp_flag#Green_harp_flag

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

It is actually mental how many people have spelt taught as "thought" in this thread. Mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭EmatoelDiablo

maximoose wrote: »
    It is actually mental how many people have spelt taught as "thought" in this thread. Mental.

And I even put it in the fúcking title :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Not really...thats besides the point, I'd written more, something like "Because the river flows quickly, the bank is eroded and deposition occurs", which is perfectly fine. My teacher was just nitpicking the because thing though, for no reason.

These Irish -> English things are so cool! :)

Advertisement