Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What JRPG are you currently playing?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Finally got round to wrapping up the PSP version of FFT. Need to finish up FFVI next. Just about to enter
    Kefka's tower

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,804 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's very much a western developed game but plays like a JRPG so screw it. I've been playing Costume Quest on the run up to Halloween. Excellent game with loads of charm and really good writing. It's short but really sweet and has just enough depth to keep it interesting for how long it lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's very much a western developed game but plays like a JRPG so screw it. I've been playing Costume Quest on the run up to Halloween. Excellent game with loads of charm and really good writing. It's short but really sweet and has just enough depth to keep it interesting for how long it lasts.

Costume Quest is brilliant!!! I loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I'm currently playing Pokemon Black 2. Currently in the sewers. I did play a bit of Star Ocean: Second Evolution and I'm currently at the field of might.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,804 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Started playing Parasite Eve there. I wasn't interested in the game because I had only played Parasite Eve 2 which was a very poor resi clone. Heard Parasite Eve was far better lately and one of the PS1's best games.

Anyway so far it's superb. Wonderful battle system. Basically you are free to move around and dodge enemy attacks and when the ATB gauge is full you can attack. It's a really wonderful system and I'm amazed it hasn't been used by Square in any other games. Vagrant Story comes close but this is far far better.

Also interesting to note is that the game is focused in a single city, sounds a bit like the initial plans for FFVII and was developed a little after FFVII. So far it's a very focused RPG and definitely a must play!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I honestly wasn't a fan. One of Square's weaker efforts. I found VS's system much more involved, in PE I found I was mostly just pacing back and forth waiting. The ATB and movement speed is too slow.

You can see why they didn't bother with a PAL conversion. With the standard 16.67% slowdown we got PE would have been painful to play.

Cool story though.

I thought it worked an awful lot better than Vagrant Stories system. Vagrant story allowed running around but it didn't matter because it was all still stat based. In Parasite Eve you can dodge attacks by moving around and have to take into account how long it takes to fire your gun. It's a much better use of the real time elements. I'm into Day 5 now and think it's one of square's best.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,178 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The first 5 hours are absolutely horrendous. It's starting to get better now but they absolutely destroyed the combat in the game with the parry move. Basically it's x to attack and x to parry. However the parry has not timing so mashing the x button is an I win button. Sure there's reaction commands as well but I see absolutely not reason to use anything other than the x button and reaction commands. A shame because the combat in KH1 was the perfect kind of challenging.

Play Birth By Sleep.

It is awesome.

I can say it honestly after playing KH1, KH2 and then BBT.

It benefits a bit from MGS3-syndrome (i.e. it is much easier doing a prequel stroy because you know where the end point is and so you aren't producing a scribbled mess with no direction!).

Not as hard as KH1 (from what I can remember) but certainly more challenging than KH2. I loved it.

I'll try to get around to it but I'm trying to play Kingdom Hearts 2 which is supposedly great but is in fact a pile of herpes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I thought it worked an awful lot better than Vagrant Stories system. Vagrant story allowed running around but it didn't matter because it was all still stat based. In Parasite Eve you can dodge attacks by moving around and have to take into account how long it takes to fire your gun. It's a much better use of the real time elements. I'm into Day 5 now and think it's one of square's best.

I remember seeing someone play Parasite Eve 2. It looked like a poor man's Resi. Might give this a go if it's good.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,178 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'll try to get around to it but I'm trying to play Kingdom Hearts 2 which is supposedly great but is in fact a pile of herpes.

Really should be played on a harder setting me thinks. I also found it too easy after the (at times mindnumbing) difficulty with 1.

The production values, set pieces and controls are all far better but the story is a bit messy to say the least.

I remember seeing someone play Parasite Eve 2. It looked like a poor man's Resi. Might give this a go if it's good.

Oh PE2 really is a poor mans Resi. I had only played that game previously and it's what put me off trying the first game since PE2 bored the arse off me. Parasite Eve however is a much different game and far better.
    noodler wrote: »
    Really should be played on a harder setting me thinks. I also found it too easy after the (at times mindnumbing) difficulty with 1.

The production values, set pieces and controls are all far better but the story is a bit messy to say the least.

The combat is fun if just a bit dull and the reaction commands destroy any sense of difficulty that the game has. I've no major complaints about that. The story and pacing are the problems. There's so much boring stuff between fights and the story trumps even MGS4 as the worst videogame story. I'll have to get back to it but I got sidetracked when I became addicted to Dragon Quest IX and currently I'm playing horror games for October which lead to me trying and loving Parasite Eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Have started playing Nier. Awful start to the game with the confusing introduction to combat then the non-descript fetch quests but once you get going it's quite enjoyable. Music is fantastic. Story and setting are quite good too.

Was worried the combat would be monotonous but when you get used to the various abilities it works quite well despite fighting non-descript enemies 90% of the time. Bosses are suitably epic which makes up for the mobs.

Overall it feels like it could've done with a bit more time in development. A few rough edges both graphically and mechanically. Dialogue is good though which is usually the first thing to lose out when a game doesn't gestate to full term.

The main combat is a bit simplistic but the times when it starts changing genre wildly are great. Definitely could have done with a bigger budget but it's impressive what Cavia managed despite the lack of funds. Just make sure when you are finish to play the new game+ at least once.

Just started the PSP update of the original Final Fantasy. Still need to clear FFVI as well.

H. H. Asquith

So I finished Parasite Eve and absolutely loved it, definitely one of the best things Squaresoft has done on the PS1. Time to hit the Chrysler Building now. I wrote a review on my blog:

http://lifein16bit.blogspot.ie/2012/10/october-horrorthon-parasite-eve.html

What is it you enjoy about the combat? I'm surprised you praise it so much. For me moving on the spot hardly seemed to matter most of the time as you could just tank the attacks and heal. Some later bosses (like that f*cking spider on the roof) required a little more dexterity but for the most part it was basically just 'attack', 'wait and run around a bit' and 'attack' again. A lot of the Parasite skills pretty ineffectual barring some of the basic healing ones and the omnislash thing you get near the end. The "fixed" nature of enemy encounters wasn't great either, especially when you had to backtrack. At least with the sequel you'd engage with enemies as you see them à la Chrono Trigger. The XP system felt very fixed as well, like it really wasn't possibly to overlevel or underlevel your character. It didn't seem like it mattered which weapons you choose to upgrade either as you could easily import all the bonus stats anyway. As an RPG I found it kind of shallow and the odd Resi-inspired fuse box changing sections made it feel a little unfocused.

Fantastic presentation though. Very good looking game. Other than the CG character models I think the graphics hold up very well. The story is great in its own stupid way. I might give it another go to see the Chrysler ending but I'm not sure if my opinion on the game will change all that much.

I thought it played a bit like Secret of Mana were you would avoid attacks then have to choose the best moment to attack since you were stationary while attacking. There was plenty of depth, you had to manage your PE, if you used it too much you could get into trouble since it would take longer to charge and spells like haste were essential to avoiding attacks. It wasn't all that challenging to begin with but most RPGs aren't. However the last few bosses were very tough. The fixed encounters didn't bother me that much since after you encounter them first the chance to trigger that encounter again drops dramatically.

The meat of the game seems to be in the Chrysler Building were customising your weapon is hugely important and a lot of fun. You really need a game breakingly good weapon going into that place.

I think what I liked the most about it was how well it was paced. It zips along and there's no filler. It's just a heap of fun from start to finish except for the bull**** escape sequence at the end which wasn't fun at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Bosses in Nier are great. Just beat the
    big box fella in the sand temple
    . My trigger finger nearly fell off! Block puzzles followed by bullet hell, who would've thunk it!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭tyrion1234

Decided to play through all the Final fantasy's that iv never completed. Just started on 9 today.

• Advertisement

Beat the Chrysler Building in Parasite Eve. My advice is to enjoy the main game and totally ignore this because it just isn't worth it and the alternative ending you get is awful.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

tyrion1234 wrote: »
    Decided to play through all the Final fantasy's that iv never completed. Just started on 9 today.

a Gem in the series,your a lucky man I wish I could replay it again for the first time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

I wish I could finish ff9 but I need to grind a bit before I get to the end and I can't deal with the loading times anymore.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Currently playing FF XIII...It's ok, but to be honest I've just a hankering to play VIII. Even went into Rage on Fade Street to see prices for a PS1 and a copy of the game :o

Is there any Xbox 360 games you guys would recommend for someone who misses the old FF games? I'm a bit out of the loop, are there any games that still use text instead of voice acting?

Currently playing FF XIII...It's ok, but to be honest I've just a hankering to play VIII. Even went into Rage on Fade Street to see prices for a PS1 and a copy of the game :o

You won't get a good deal on that game in there.
    Is there any Xbox 360 games you guys would recommend for someone who misses the old FF games? I'm a bit out of the loop, are there any games that still use text instead of voice acting?

Most use voice acting now. The best machines for JRPGs now are the DS and PSP.

On 360 there's Lost Odyssey which is made by the old producer of the FF games. Not sure I can recommend it though. It's not great. I enjoyed it in the end but the game takes an age to get going. The story is a bit weak as well although the side stories are fantastic.

There's also Talesof Vesperia which has become a rarity unfortunately.

Lost Odyssey is insanely overrated. Not much to recommend it by imo. The battle system is painstakingly slow and the loading issues do it no favours. Tales is best bought straight from MS's games on demand.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

You won't get a good deal on that game in there.

You're dead right, as I discovered! Couldn't believe some of their prices. GB Advance games for like 80 euro :( Would sooner take a chance on something from Adverts.ie or a Cash Converters shop I think.

Most use voice acting now. The best machines for JRPGs now are the DS and PSP.

On 360 there's Lost Odyssey which is made by the old producer of the FF games. Not sure I can recommend it though. It's not great. I enjoyed it in the end but the game takes an age to get going. The story is a bit weak as well although the side stories are fantastic.

There's also Talesof Vesperia which has become a rarity unfortunately.

Thanks very much, I may treat myself to a s-h PSP then, I see that FFVIII is available from PSN somehow. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Tales of Vesperia got a reprint during the year so it's not quite as rare anymore. You can get it new for around €35 delivered, which isn't too bad, considering it used to go for over twice that.

I would highly recommend a PSP Go and going the cfw route, it really is a lovely little machine. Unlimited JRPG potential!

If you are going the PSP route, get US PSN points and make a US account. The US PS1 titles don't have the awful PAL issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Will be playing Persona 4 Golden tomorrow when it's released over here.

Advertisement