Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crystal Meth and Ireland

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Gee Bag wrote: »
    I watched the first season and a half of Breaking Bad, I thought it was utter shyte. I seem to be the minority though.............

It actually really takes off from mid-second season. Slow burner too imo for the first series. Truly brilliant from then on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

shoos wrote: »
    Another example of how Meth ****s your face, this girl was on America's Next Top Model a few years ago. Second photo is from her recent appearance on Dr. Phil:

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17yvubvpq1wxrjpg/original.jpg

Jesus! :eek: I remember her! Actually, during the show, she lost a friend to an overdose.

And it's actually embarrassing how much I know about ANTM. :o:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

It actually really takes off from mid-second season. Slow burner too imo for the first series. Truly brilliant from then on.

Eh no - just brilliant from start to finish!
    The last episode of season 4 was :eek:!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

And it's actually embarrassing how much I know about ANTM. :o:pac:

Keep telling strangers about it. I find that helps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Keep telling strangers about it. I find that helps

Oooh, burn! You're so badass.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

planetX wrote: »
    Maybe that's why it never came here... Ireland has no border with a poorer/ more chaotic country.
    Ireland is actually supposed to be a big hub for drug transport, we have hundreds of miles of unguarded coastline where people bring in the drugs and them move them into the rest of Europe. Have a read of Howard Marks book Mr Nice. The drugs don't get in like that anymore but it shows Irelands beena hub even before drug use became popular with Irish people.
    Zascar wrote: »
    The reason Meth has not caught on in Ireland is fairly simple. It's an Upper, and when it comes to drugs, Irish people prefer downers like Alcohol and Heroin ;)
    MDMA is the big drug, Weed is probably the most widely used but MDMA is the party drug in Ireland used by the most people. Well that and alcohol. Heroin is a fairly niche scene most people don't try it recreationally and for the most part it's restricted to down and outs. I've never once been offer heroin by a dealer or even known a dealer that sells it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

A guy came up to me on the street before in Dublin and asked me if I wanted to buy Crystal Meth.

I wouldn't have believed he actually had it had I not noticed his teeth. They were almost non-existent, and what was left was rotted to the core and your teeth are one of the first thing crystal meth destroys. Only a young lad too... well I'm assuming, he actually looked about 40 but wouldn't say he was older than 25.

In USA, they don't really have inbetween drugs as much as we do in Europe - MDMA for example. They're kinda stuck with either smoking weed or going to much more of an extreme like Crystal Meth. When I was living in America most people I met there (early 20s) had all taken it at some stage - it's like their version of pills except way, way, way, way, way worse for ya.

Thank god for ecstasy, ay.

Another example of how Meth ****s your face, this girl was on America's Next Top Model a few years ago. Second photo is from her recent appearance on Dr. Phil:

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17yvubvpq1wxrjpg/original.jpg

How did you know the crystal meth destroyed his teeth .?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

mattjack wrote: »

It's a known side affect. Mixture of the chemical's and the fact user's become lethargic and dont brush their teeth.

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    It's a known side affect. Mixture of the chemical's and the fact user's become lethargic and dont brush their teeth.

I know that , I'm curious as to how he knew the crystal meth destroyed his teeth.
    Heroin,cocaine and ecstasy all affect teeth as well either through dry mouth,cravings for sugary products ,grinding alongside general lack of dental care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

Lived there around then myself. My fondest memory would be waiting for a bus when a crackhead pulled down his trousers, bent over a shopping trolley and quite vocally offered for us to "**** him in the ass". Value for money though

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭shoos

It's one of the big tell tale signs, they call it "meth mouth".

Partly due to the ingredients and method of use, like it's incredibly acidic absolutely full to the brim of chemicals and often they'll rub in into their gums as they're taking it in a different form too. Just to get that quicker high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I know that , I'm curious as to how he knew the crystal meth destroyed his teeth.
    Heroin,cocaine and ecstasy all affect teeth as well either through dry mouth,cravings for sugary products ,grinding alongside general lack of dental care.

Might be the fact he offered him meth then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

that is coming also. they are all coming, like scopolamine too. ireland will be a drugs hell soon

i think you missed your calling as a daily mail journo :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭shoos

Yeah undoubtedly, and living in Dublin I see junkies every day who have obviously horrendous dental hygiene. But never in my life have I seen anything like this young lad's. Except for in documentaries on meth addiction!

Edit: And the fact he offered me meth as well haha, thanks Andy-Pandy. Forgot that was the biggie.

Yeah undoubtedly, and living in Dublin I see junkies every day who have obviously horrendous dental hygiene. But never in my life have I seen anything like this young lad's. Except for in documentaries on meth addiction!

Edit: And the fact he offered me meth as well haha, thanks Andy-Pandy. Forgot that was the biggie.

I work in a low threshold drug service , that's why I was curious about what you were saying.Any time I interact with a meth user I always ask about their use. Any I meet are foreign nationals.

It's a real niche drug, limited market , most users are Eastern European and there are very few, the media love stating that Ireland's on the verge of meth epidemic, so its unusual that you were offered by an Irish addict dealing it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Internet Hero

Ireland to become a meth hell in the next 2/3 years in my opinion. its going that way as soon as the meth hits our shores. it will be pretty much a police state soon cos of meth crimes

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Triangular

I think Crack has been more prevalent of late. Well, from my infrequent trips around Dublins north inner city, I see a lot more crack addicts then meth heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I work in a low threshold drug service , that's why I was curious about what you were saying.Any time I interact with a meth user I always ask about their use. Any I meet are foreign nationals.

It's a real niche drug, limited market , most users are Eastern European and there are very few, the media love stating that Ireland's on the verge of meth epidemic, so its unusual that you were offered by an Irish addict dealing it.

I have to agree, I'm in the Addiction Services and we don't come across it often, and as you said it is often with Eastern European's I see it.

I wonder if the lad was offered methadone, and thought meth was the other type.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrMischief

Really messed up documentary about Crystal Meth and would highly recommend it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUidxS8VnE8

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭ Kaylie Rotten Oriole

Triangular wrote: »
    I think Crack has been more prevalent of late. Well, from my infrequent trips around Dublins north inner city, I see a lot more crack addicts then meth heads.

One sideways look and you can tell their preference yea?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Internet Hero

nm wrote: »
    One sideways look and you can tell their preference yea?

i was thinkin the same thing, how can you tell the difference? i can guess a heroin or alcoholic user but apart from that id have a very hard time

i was thinkin the same thing, how can you tell the difference? i can guess a heroin or alcoholic user but apart from that id have a very hard time

Of course you can't, its a crazy post

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I don't think Crack would be big in Ireland. We don't get enough Coke here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Spunge wrote: »
    Speed, which is just meth, has been in ireland for years. Just not hugely popular, and i never knew anyone who got addicted to it, just did it a few times.
    Methamphetamine itself is not a dangerous drug, it has no more ill effects than adderall or other amphetamines. THe problem with smokign crystal meth is that its a huge dosage, so you get a long lasting intense high.

I bet most people think crystal meth is some magically different drug to the speed they've taken before but in reality the subjective effects are the same, talking ****, lots of energy etc. just that its in crystal form.

Meth is even used for ADHD in the form of Desoxyn, albeit at a low dose, and is meant to be quite effective with no real abuse potential

Thats what i was thinking, i thought it was some new more powerful drug from all the media hype. If its just speed i used to take a lot of that about 10 years ago. We'd go on benders of speed and E's. After 3 or 4 days of that and drinking you'd be very very ill. I'm glad them days are long gone for me now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

i smoked crystal twice on holiday, and done about speed 3 times a few years ago.

the effects were pretty much the same, just the crystal lasts longer and you smoke it.

Speed, which is just meth, has been in ireland for years. Just not hugely popular, and i never knew anyone who got addicted to it, just did it a few times.
    Methamphetamine itself is not a dangerous drug, it has no more ill effects than adderall or other amphetamines. THe problem with smokign crystal meth is that its a huge dosage, so you get a long lasting intense high.

I bet most people think crystal meth is some magically different drug to the speed they've taken before but in reality the subjective effects are the same, talking ****, lots of energy etc. just that its in crystal form.

Meth is even used for ADHD in the form of Desoxyn, albeit at a low dose, and is meant to be quite effective with no real abuse potential

Speed is an Amphetamine and Meth is a Methamphetamine and there is a difference in the effects. There is an intense and euphoric high with Meth that lasts for a lot longer than anything you might experience while taking Speed. The chemical compounds are different although similar. Meth is highly addictive and wastes your body pretty quick. It is a seriously dangerous drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Augmerson wrote: »
    Speed is an Amphetamine and Meth is a Methamphetamine and there is a difference in the effects. There is an intense and euphoric high with Meth that lasts for a lot longer than anything you might experience while taking Speed. The chemical compounds are different although similar. Meth is highly addictive and wastes your body pretty quick. It is a seriously dangerous drug.

if its so bad why do they prescribe it for ADD ?

if its so bad why do they prescribe it for ADD ?

Morphine, which is a form of Heroin at the end of the day, has a medical use. So does Meth. As you said yourself, Desoxyn is a prescription drug, which has low doses (5 mg) of methamphetamine hydrochloride. It's used to treat depression and ADD but it is not regularly prescribed I hear due to it's adverse effects. It's used for people who seem "resistant" to other prescribed forms of combating depression and ADD.

It's still pretty bad for you.

• Advertisement

Such a load of bollocks in that post, jesus christ :rolleyes:

methamphetamine > amphetamine sulphate

Advertisement