Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Beef Discussion Group

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

straining wire knot if anyone is interested, I taught I had taken shots of figure 8 joining knots and end connections. A wire fence is only as good as its weakest link

• Registered Users Posts: 24 spt88

straining wire knot if anyone is interested
    thats very professional looking!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Something similar, a Tex Brown knot;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC-s5k6Kypk&feature=relmfu

Other good fencing videos too on the other Strainritefencing links.

I taught I was the only one that stood on the wire when tieing end insulators,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnFevQ5nLnA&feature=relmfu

the use of the Mexican hat that the guy talks about in the clip is a very good idea, as it take allot of the work out of getting central wires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Taking suggestions for new topics for next week. If a couple of people could post a topic that interests them, and if people want that topic, they should like it. (instead of the page filling up with a load of posts about nothing)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

reilig wrote: »
    Taking suggestions for new topics for next week. If a couple of people could post a topic that interests them, and if people want that topic, they should like it. (instead of the page filling up with a load of posts about nothing)

May I suggest Reseeding as a topic.
    Merits, methods, timing, weed control, costs, specific mix used and why, etc,.

B

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

What about breeding and fertility for next week?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭LivInt20

Profit Monitor

I strongly feel that Profit Monitor should be discussed next week.

This task must be completed in year 1 or year 2 and now would be a good time to complete Profit Monitor for the year 2011.

It is no good completing and discussing all other tasks, if we do not measure our performance via the Profit Monitor.

Members should complete a Profit Monitor in all three years of BTAP in order to show the profitability or not of the farm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Breeding and re-seeding are topical and relevant at this time of year

Profit monitor is for a cold winters day - ok so today is a cold winters day but still

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

Reseeding...particularly as I disced 6 acres 3 weeks ago and haven't been able to get near it since due to weather:mad:

Would say there will be a lot of it done when weather improves, as reseeds have really proven their worth over the past few weeks.
    Opportune time, imo.
    Thanks again for starting this thread, been really interesting so far.
    Great fencing tips:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

BUMP.........(page 4 :eek:)

I think it looks like reseeding............ although I would have liked breeding/fertility myself!

But discussion of anything beef related would be great! :D

Reseeding it is folks

Are you choosing this measure?

How much will you have to reseed to fulfill the requirements?

How do you reseed?

Grass Seed prices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

reseeded 8 acres about 4 weeks ago,after the kale,so 2 runs of my disc harrow and 3 runs of land leveler ,i put in a grazing sward with clover,cost me 60 euro a acre before anyone questions this price its at cost to me,because its stored in one of my units.the weather is playing havic with it you can barely see it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

AS stated above, I disced 6 acres...just before the bad weather started, so it is still looking at me as I dream of having it back in the rotation.:)
    I sprayed it off 10 days prior and grazed after 7 days.
    It was an old sward, ruined by constant cutting and little grazing.
    My farming pattern has changed a lot in recent years, so I have more stock now than heretofore.
    Lime at 3tons/acre, cost €23/ton spread.
    Grass seed bought and in dry store at home. Glanbia Mastercrop "Extend". €71.50per acre bag:eek:
    Waiting for a couple of dry days to one-pass it, then spread 2 bags of 10:10:20 and pray for "soft" Irish weather:)
    Having seen numerous posts by reilig about "simple" reseeds with a harrow, I am going to do 2 acres with mine as a test...when the weather improves!

taught I would be on my holidays by now. Still have 80% of maize to plant and 100% of grass. And so the year drags on. IMV it was too early to set grass during the last spell of weather and was too busy setting other crops anyway, thankfully its not in to be honest. A good bit is to go on top of wheat and the rest is to be Direct drilled into grass but this is being grazed away as normal and hasnt being brurned off yet. Grass seed bill is now getting huge and it is starting to have me questioning short term leys

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

For me it's undersown with barley. Last year it went in after kale with a few runs of a disc first, then sow grass seed with 1 pass. Put on extra clover with a vicon and rolled with a flat roller.

I read somewhere that only 12-15% of the grass seed you sow will survive to be a grass plant the next year. Last year I sowed the grass seed at half rate. Worked ok. Has anyone else tried this?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

my kale only half grew as weeds got up before seed last year i think i will spray off this year as not taking no chances .Kerry grass seed seems to be best around here has left seedtech for dead.....65 acre at moment i will miss the kale this year.anybody use Sinclair seeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

blue5000 wrote: »
    I read somewhere that only 12-15% of the grass seed you sow will survive to be a grass plant the next year. Last year I sowed the grass seed at half rate. Worked ok. Has anyone else tried this?

The extend grass seed bag I used before was 'an acre bag' (11.5kg/acre). But I see the comic recommending 1.5bags/acre.

blue5000 I well believe what you are saying. And sure the real proof of the pudding is in the eating. If it worked for you, no reason why it shouldn't work for others.

The comic and seed manufacturers have their own agendas. There's a reason for their 'recommendations' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

leg wax wrote: »
    reseeded 8 acres about 4 weeks ago,after the kale,so 2 runs of my disc harrow and 3 runs of land leveler ,i put in a grazing sward with clover,cost me 60 euro a acre before anyone questions this price its at cost to me,because its stored in one of my units.the weather is playing havic with it you can barely see it up.

IMO thats too early to sow grass. A late frost can do serrious damage to young reseeds. May is the time to do it IMO

Do people think that sowing clover with the grass limits your options for a post emergence spray?

also does anyboy add timothy to their seed mix?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Yeah agree with above

People went too early with the seeds this year - hopefully it won't cost them and when (if ever) the weather turns hopefully they will be ok

Our methods of reseeding are:

Graze to clay and spray regrowth after a few days or Spray silage 10 days before cutting
    Lime as required
    10 10 20 as required
    1 pass with powerharrow/drill combi
    Flat roll
    Post emergence spray
    Maybe a shot of nitrogen post emergence to really push them - depends on how they are going

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

25 acres ploughed and just waiting for the weather now. got the seed (mg60) cost 68 an acre. i have been told great things about this seed and a few local dairy boys reckon its great so taking the chance. most places were quoting 75 an acre round me and order size didnt matter to them. got quoted 95 of one place but that did include westewolds.

The ground hadnt been grazed bare (was bad for redwater) and was far too long to spray. i ended up running a mulcher over it. I,m kinda regretting not spraying but too late now. id say iwill end up with a lot of weeds when it comes up so will spray then.

I intend running weanlings on the ground and have been curious to know what is a realistic number that the ground will carry on its first year without doing damage but without letting the grass get ahead. Its good dry ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Could someone that knows put up the general options for reseeding that all and sundry may pick holes in it, so hopefully we can end up with the "best" method.

Bearing in mind different ground types and uses, I know I'm asking a lot but anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Bizzum wrote: »
    Could someone that knows put up the general options for reseeding that all and sundry may pick holes in it, so hopefully we can end up with the "best" method.

Bearing in mind different ground types and uses, I know I'm asking a lot but anyway!

there are as many ways to skin a cat as there is to reseed.
    so no one method will be the right choice for every1
    it really depends on the situation what is going to work best for you.
    So prescriptive advice is inappropriate. (of cources excluding the plough). But cheaper methods can be just as effective used correctly

we've a 13acre block on hill with very poor indec's for PH, P&K that I guess has never been reseeded ever. I see it would be a pointless excersice to einblock or chain harrow the seed in. it will be a plough job

On the other hand we did a 15acre block that has stone ditch's with very mature trees and is divided into 4 2.5acre fields and one 5acrce.
    we used the disc harrows twice followed by the powerharrow and grass barrow (hateful things). reason we used the dics was the ground is a bit thin in places and we were terrified of the stones:eek:. I do thing we had more weeds to deal with using the disc's. biggest issue we had there was there was no rain for 7wks post sowing:mad: but we got there in the end.

If I was to reseed the ground we did in 2007 I'd have no problem useing the chain harrows. One thing I might look to do though is run an spiker/aerator the previous autumn If I can to addreass compacaction from slurry tankers and silage gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭island of tighe

ive sprayed off 7 acres 5 weeks ago for reseeding.still havent got it sown because of the weather.ive spread 3000 gallons of cattle slurry per acre and 3 tonne of lime per acre.i hope to disc it friday,spread 3 bags 18-6-12 per acre and sow saturday with power harrow with an air seeder unit attached WEATHER PERMITTING !!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

got the ground ready today (well the contractor did). it was like the ploughing match. they had 5 tractors in with levellers, power tillers and a lad with a loader lifting any big stones floating around. seed to go in tomorrow. lime landed and fertiliser going on in morning too. i had budgeted 300 an acre but with seed increase and fertiliser and diesel its coming in at
    fertiliser 98 an acre
    ploughing 160 + vat
    seed at 68
    lime at 65

coming in at e429

• Registered Users Posts: 24 spt88

has anybody used the agritech grass seeds i think there marked tipperary grass on the bag. i done 14 acres bout 3weeks ago and used kerrys ts3 seed have another 7 acres ready now and met a sales rep from agritech today at the mart (he reckons there'l be a big difference between the two mixes:rolleyes:)

just wondering if anyone has any experience with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

yes i have and have a lot of old grasses in there mix never again .......dairygold or Kerry far better ......three local lads all tried them same result ......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

1chippy wrote: »
    got the ground ready today (well the contractor did). it was like the ploughing match. they had 5 tractors in with levellers, power tillers and a lad with a loader lifting any big stones floating around. seed to go in tomorrow. lime landed and fertiliser going on in morning too. i had budgeted 300 an acre but with seed increase and fertiliser and diesel its coming in at
    fertiliser 98 an acre
    ploughing 160 + vat
    seed at 68
    lime at 65

coming in at e429

160+VAT for ploughing!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    you have got to be kidding me!
    45e for ploughing plus another say 40 for power harrow and 20-25e for the railing.

that leaves 60e an acre for the lad picking stones!

ur sure some1 is not taking the piss!

I know I have said all of this before at different stages, but for the benefit of anyone in the group I'll give my view on reseeding again.

When I was young, I never thought that reseeding could be an option for the type of land that we have. 80% of our land is upland with very shallow soil - 2 or 3 inches at best. Its very heavy land and gives us a 6 month winter (November to April inclusive). The last 20% of our land is bog. It sits on a gravel and is dry 365 days per year. Its great grass growing ground, and a huge asset to the farm for to have early grass to get cattle out. Only problem is not having enough of it. :D In the last 5 years we have reseeded 50 acres of our upland. It was the first reseed that it ever got - Our bogland was used for growing crops in the past (Cabbage plants, carrots, potatoes and strawberries) and was reseeded when brought back into pasture on rotation.

A simple estimate that I have is that reseeding increased grass growth by approximately 30%. Silage quality and quantity is much improved and we get a much better response from slurry an fertilizer than the unreseeded ground. Our motto with slurry is small quantities, but often (2 or 3 times per year) to prevent leaving us with soft ground).

This reseed has also brough early grass to the upland part of the farm which has its good and bad sides. In a dry spring (such as the one that we had), lighter cattle were out early on the grass and they did little or no damage. When there is a wet spring, cattle can't graze it. Its left to the sheep - the numbers that we have aren't able for it all, so we often have to top before taking the fields up for meadow.

Another big positive of reseeding on our farm has been the virtual elimination of rushes and sprat on the reseeded ground. There's still the odd wet place with rushes, but all in all, most have been eliminated, and remain eliminated.

Now to how its done - as someone pointed out, there's a million ways to skin a cat! A simple and cheap reseed works as well for me as a €300 per acre reseed works in good land. I spray, I chain harrow, I lime, I cover with slurry, I chain harrow one or two more times and then I spread the grass seed mixed with the fertilizer using a wagtail spreader, spreading at a low rate of application and using a chris-cross pattern to ensure that I go over each area twice. Then I roll.

I have all my own machinery, except for the lime spreader. My total costs are very low, and I achieve good results.

The point that I would like to make is that anyone can reseed their land - no matter what your depth of soil (unless you are on a mountain). If you want to increase the output of your farm without buying extra land, reseeding is a value for money option!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

I know I have said all of this before at different stages, but for the benefit of anyone in the group I'll give my view on reseeding again.

When I was young, I never thought that reseeding could be an option for the type of land that we have. 80% of our land is upland with very shallow soil - 2 or 3 inches at best. Its very heavy land and gives us a 6 month winter (November to April inclusive). The last 20% of our land is bog. It sits on a gravel and is dry 365 days per year. Its great grass growing ground, and a huge asset to the farm for to have early grass to get cattle out. Only problem is not having enough of it. :D In the last 5 years we have reseeded 50 acres of our upland. It was the first reseed that it ever got - Our bogland was used for growing crops in the past (Cabbage plants, carrots, potatoes and strawberries) and was reseeded when brought back into pasture on rotation.

A simple estimate that I have is that reseeding increased grass growth by approximately 30%. Silage quality and quantity is much improved and we get a much better response from slurry an fertilizer than the unreseeded ground. Our motto with slurry is small quantities, but often (2 or 3 times per year) to prevent leaving us with soft ground).

This reseed has also brough early grass to the upland part of the farm which has its good and bad sides. In a dry spring (such as the one that we had), lighter cattle were out early on the grass and they did little or no damage. When there is a wet spring, cattle can't graze it. Its left to the sheep - the numbers that we have aren't able for it all, so we often have to top before taking the fields up for meadow.

Another big positive of reseeding on our farm has been the virtual elimination of rushes and sprat on the reseeded ground. There's still the odd wet place with rushes, but all in all, most have been eliminated, and remain eliminated.

Now to how its done - as someone pointed out, there's a million ways to skin a cat! A simple and cheap reseed works as well for me as a €300 per acre reseed works in good land. I spray, I chain harrow, I lime, I cover with slurry, I chain harrow one or two more times and then I spread the grass seed mixed with the fertilizer using a wagtail spreader, spreading at a low rate of application and using a chris-cross pattern to ensure that I go over each area twice. Then I roll.

I have all my own machinery, except for the lime spreader. My total costs are very low, and I achieve good results.

The point that I would like to make is that anyone can reseed their land - no matter what your depth of soil (unless you are on a mountain). If you want to increase the output of your farm without buying extra land, reseeding is a value for money option!!

Slurry and grass seed. You will have a hard time convincing "some", guys on here, that slurry wont instantly kill the grass seed stone dead:confused:

But I agree with you. Slurry is mighty to encourage the seed to get moving towards the sky:p

Advertisement