Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing old threads

• 28-12-2011 2:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭

Why do mods close old threads? Clearly if someone comments on one they want to know something about the subject of it. Is that not kind of the point of boards.ie? So people can find things out? The mods in the Work & Jobs forum are very fast to do it. Surely it makes more since to use a thread thats already there then to start a new one?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Depends on how old the thread is. A lot of the time the discussions that carry on get directed towards people who no longer post on boards because quite often, people don't take into account when something was posted before. Which makes old threads that are bumped annoying to read.

You might be better off discussing with a mod from the forum you mentioned to try and get an understanding of why they did it.

Also, just because they closed an old thread it doesn't mean you can't start a new one yourself referencing the other.

Edit:

Just noticed that thread is almost 7 years old and was just bumped to ask for the salary of a long since expired job offer... It's fairly obvious to me why this was closed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Depends on how old the thread is. A lot of the time the discussions that carry on get directed towards people who no longer post on boards because quite often, people don't take into account when something was posted before. Which makes old threads that are bumped annoying to read.

You might be better off discussing with a mod from the forum you mentioned to try and get an understanding of why they did it.

Also, just because they closed an old thread it doesn't mean you can't start a new one yourself referencing the other.

Thats fair enough. I just think it would cut down on the number of threads if ones with the same subject are used. Normaly there closed before anyone gets a chance to post something in it.

I just use that forum as an example im sure its the same in others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Can't answer for W&J forum but in general, sometimes old threads are targeted by unreg spammers and so you wouldn't see the pages of deleted posts that would be necessary in order to leave the thread open so it's locked to prevent being targeted...

In the case of locking old threads which have been bumped it's sometimes more as a courtesy to those that started or posted in a thread many years ago that they aren't asked to respond to what they posted years later - sometimes people google a topic and launch in seemingly oblivious that the posts they are challenging were made years ago - and in other cases the original points or posters are obsolete and so it makes more sense to start a new thread pertinent to the time, issues and posters who wish to discuss it today...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Im going to bring up an old thread from 2000 now :pac:

Watch as I get an infraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Im going to bring up an old thread from 2000 now :pac:

Watch as I get an infraction.
    Unlikely you would. I don't think general, non time-sensitive threads should be closed tbh. But threads about something more specific, where the date actually makes a difference... why not just start a fresh one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

It's a bit of a grey area for me. I'm never sure if I should be replying to a thread that's a year old. Where do you draw the line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Because the longer you're here, you get to project your jaded, topic-ennui on to newer users.

Woo-hoo!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055236489

Hears an example. The thread was closed and the Mod says to start a new one if they want. Why? The one thats there is perfectly good why is there need to start a new one for the very same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Very few people who posted in the original thread will actually see whatever is posted, never mind saying reply to it.

I know myself that anything posted between March 2007 and probably March 2010 I'm not really willing to stand over as believeing anymore. Well, not everything, but I've changed a crap ton and would hate to be asked about stupid illinformed posts I made when I was 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

lala88 wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055236489

Hears an example. The thread was closed and the Mod says to start a new one if they want. Why? The one thats there is perfectly good why is there need to start a new one for the very same thing?

A number of reasons:

1) etiquette. It is considered improper to dig up an old thread
    2) Relevance. In a lot of cases, the information in the thread is out of date
    3)The person who started the thread may no longer be on Boards.ie.

The last poster in that thread you link, Tyron Jara, was asking a question to a person that has not been on Boards.ie since 2009. I have seen occasions before where such a person does not realise this, and persists in asking questions and taking umbrage at the fact that the original poster does not answer.

Here is another example: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055206817

Aside from the fact the person who dug up the thread is technically advertising, she is addressing somebody who has not been on the site in 4 or 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I thought one of the key reasons was site performance. Old threads are unlikely to be cached or are going to need to be pulled out of a dusty corner of the database.

Since bumping old threads has always been frowned upon, I'd go as far as suggesting a timeout period after which a thread is automatically locked. Other forums do this so it is possible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Karsini wrote: »
    Since bumping old threads has always been frowned upon, I'd go as far as suggesting a timeout period after which a thread is automatically locked. Other forums do this so it is possible.

Or even just a banner that appears to warn users that they're posting in a really old thread.

Eoin wrote: »
    Or even just a banner that appears to warn users that they're posting in a really old thread.

That could work too. Would be less intrusive if there's a genuine reason to bump the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Malice wrote: »
    I thought one of the key reasons was site performance. Old threads are unlikely to be cached or are going to need to be pulled out of a dusty corner of the database.

I wasn't aware of that, but I suppose it makes sense.
    Karsini wrote: »

Personally, I would like to see a time limit on threads that are locked after X number of months/years. But I believe we are using a heavily modified version of Vbulletin and I'm not so sure if it is technically feasible or high on the list of developer priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

I dont see anything wrong with DATES!!

People need to worry about STUFF THAT ACTUALLY MATTERS!!

On another vbb site i am on THEY ALSO DIDNT LIKE THIS (When i first joined the site they removed 5 posts i replied to (Older threads) and PMed me and said not to do it and I pmed them back and said "WHY?? WHATS THE BIG DEAL WITH WHEN IT WAS LAST REPLIED TO??")

Now they dont care if older threads are replied to,im glad they took my suggestion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Callipo

Eoin wrote: »

There are a few non vBulletin type boards that already have they type of system you mention...in place.

Advertisement