Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish broadband users pay almost three times the EU average

Options
  • 27-11-2013 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭

"Broadband consumers in Ireland are paying nearly three times the EU average for services that rank poorly in delivering the speed promised by the subscription, according to Ookla’s latest Net Index report."

Key Notes:
    • Ireland’s 17Mbps (download) ranked just above the global average of 16.2Mbps.
    • Average upload speed reached 4.16Mbps, some notches lower than the average 7.1Mbps.
    • Speeds promised - In this listing, Ireland ranks 62nd out of 64 countries with a median ratio of 64.03pc.
    • Ireland ranks highest is in the Household Quality Index.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/34979-irish-broadband-users-pay/
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Nolars wrote: »
    "Broadband consumers in Ireland are paying nearly three times the EU average for services that rank poorly in delivering the speed promised by the subscription, according to Ookla’s latest Net Index report."

Yay for competition Irish style...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

It's grand if you live in Dublin though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

It's grand if you live in Dublin though

Not really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

I wonder does the survey from Ookla take into account customers who take speedtests over Wifi? I know from my experience there is a big difference between hardwired and wifi speed test results.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Steviemak wrote: »
    I wonder does the survey from Ookla take into account customers who take speedtests over Wifi? I know from my experience there is a big difference between hardwired and wifi speed test results.

But then I'd expect the same number of users to be using wireless in every country tested, so it shouldn't effect the comparative results.

I expect Irelands position will improve greatly by this time next year, between Eircoms 70/100mb VDSL rollout and UPC 200mb and maybe even ESB FTTH.

It is looking like the speed problem is pretty much close to being fixed in urban areas.

The two problems we have remaining:

1) Relatively high price of BB.

Prices here are relatively high and recently UPC's prices have been creeping up. I'm hoping the 70/100mb Eircom VDSL rollout and ESB FTTH rollout will reverse this trend and bring done prices to more sensible levels.

2) Rural BB still sucks badly.

If the ESB FTTH rollout is succesful in urban areas, then I hope that they will look to bring it tot rural Ireland and finally fix the rural BB divide.

• Advertisement
Advertisement