Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

Spotted in another thread Kinvara 9 in stock a few running shops. Anyone tried them out? much difference from the 8 ?

I have both. I find the 9s aren't as cushioned as the 8s. They seem to be more responsive but maybe that's just me.
    Has anyone used sportshoesdirect
    They have the kinvara 8 for 75euro but I don't know anything about the site

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

Spotted in another thread Kinvara 9 in stock a few running shops. Anyone tried them out? much difference from the 8 ?

I have both. I find the 9s aren't as cushioned as the 8s. They seem to be more responsive but maybe that's just me.
    They have the kinvara 8 for 75euro but I don't know anything about the site

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

I bought Adios 3s from SS in February, no issues with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Now that the DS racers are discontinued, has anybody tried the replacement Asics Tartherzeal 6.
    I saw them in the Edge in cork and they are very light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

fennor72 wrote: »
    They have the kinvara 8 for but I don't know anything about the site

I'm assuming you mean either www.sportsshoes.com or www.sportsdirect.com, since the one you mentioned doesn't seem to exist. Furthermore, sportsdirect has hardly any Saucony in stock, so if by a process of elimination you meant to ask about sportsshoes.com, then they are excellent. I use them all the time and they are extremely reliable. I haven't had a single issue yet.

• Advertisement

Just bought a pair of Saucony Endorphin racers at a very good price, thanks to a recommendation from a poster of this parish.

They are almost literally light as a feather. I'm thinking the Day of Irish PB's would be a perfect race to blood them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

Sorry if this has been asked here before, but has anyone committed to running a marathon in zero drop shoes or is that a crazy idea?

I've been going probably 95% of my training for the past 6 months in Merrell trail gloves, I'm completely adapted to them and I find that they keep me injury free. For races I re-introduce by Asics 33-DFA 4mm drop which I had previously used for about a year, and I find as I ease them back into my training runs I start to feel shin splints returning. I can't tell if it's because it's a different shoe or if it's because the zero drop suits me better. I would commit to just using the trail gloves but I'm worried that I'd be at a disadvantage when shooting for a PB as they don't give back as much energy as cushioned shoes.

My other option is switching from my Asics DFA's to Saucony Fastwitch 8 for races, I like the Asics (went through 3 pairs) but I think they're better suited for bigger feet.

When I heard 'gloves' I assumed some sort of 5 fingers job, but they're proper shoes. If they suit you, I don't see why not. A few years back I ran the Derry marathon in Saucony A6's (4mm drop) and knocked a couple of minutes off my pb. Hilly course, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

I'm using Supernova St as a replacement for my sequence 9 which had replaced the squence 7. Neither the 9 or the ST are nearly as good as the Sequence 7 which I would love to be able to get my hands on again. I'm finding it very hard to break in the ST. I usually have little or no problems breaking in new shoes.

Tried out the Endorphins at the track today. Just jogged an easy 1.5 miles, then did a few strides. After that I took them out on the road for a mile. Seriously considering wearing them for the Tallaght 5k. They are like wearing spikes, only with a hard little plastic grippy plate under the forefoot. Ever so slightly slippy on the tarmac, but when I put my Mizuno Hitogamis (lightweight, 4mm drop) back on it felt like I was running barefoot in a bouncy castle. These shoes are the running equivalent of low-profile tyres with a rock-hard sports suspension set-up. You can not sit back on your arse and jog along in these babies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

davedanon wrote: »
    Tried out the Endorphins at the track today. Just jogged an easy 1.5 miles, then did a few strides. After that I took them out on the road for a mile. Seriously considering wearing them for the Tallaght 5k. They are like wearing spikes, only with a hard little plastic grippy plate under the forefoot. Ever so slightly slippy on the tarmac, but when I put my Mizuno Hitogamis (lightweight, 4mm drop) back on it felt like I was running barefoot in a bouncy castle. These shoes are the running equivalent of low-profile tyres with a rock-hard sports suspension set-up. You can not sit back on your arse and jog along in these babies.

9mm drop on the Mizuno's I think not 4mm.

adrian522 wrote: »
    9mm drop on the Mizuno's I think not 4mm.

Hmmm. Looks like you're right: which confuses me because I couldn't distinguish between Kinvaras and Hitogamis a couple of years back, and I assumed they had a similar drop.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah, I have a pair of the Hitogami version 2, which I really like. They certainly don't feel like they have a large drop. I guess 9mm would be about middle of the road between 4mm of the Kinvara and a lot of shoes which would have 12mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Looking for a pair of racing flats, Currently wear Mizuno catalyst 2. I was thinking of the Hitogami's, Was wondering how they compare to the Asics DS racer? Tried on the DS racers and found them very comfortable but they have been discontinued, New shoe Tartherzeal 6 seams to have less support.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,962 ✭✭✭opus

It's a sad day but I said goodbye to some old friends that I've covered many 1000's of miles with but one of the soles is about to part company with the rest of the shoe :(

450004.jpg

One the positive side, my Lidl runners have moved past ~1400k with no problems & I've a nice pair of Kinvara 8's the will be used for Comrades having felt grand during the recent Conn Ultra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭5star02707

Currently wearing those Uncaged ultraboost as the sun's out

opus wrote: »
    It's a sad day but I said goodbye to some old friends that I've covered many 1000's of miles with but one of the soles is about to part company with the rest of the shoe :(

450004.jpg

One the positive side, my Lidl runners have moved past ~1400k with no problems & I've a nice pair of Kinvara 8's the will be used for Comrades having felt grand during the recent Conn Ultra.

What's with the shoe surgery?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Bunions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,962 ✭✭✭opus

Old age (both the shoes & me!)

The older asics seemed very prone to holes appearing over the toes & the two pairs of DS trainers I've got of that vintage both developed the rips on the side.

Saucony Fastwitch 8
    BIdO0wh9bw6t8LH0m_LIqxPiAZaP28iR2VIpOyscGHw-2048x1536.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

opus wrote: »

450004.jpg

Jesus I always recycle my runners after 500/600 miles regardless of what state they are in. Love buying new runners!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

Anyone have a pair of New Balance xc5000v3? They are quite expensive RRP for a xc spike but I've come across a pair on sale in an outlet so might take a chance on them.

Anyone have a pair of New Balance xc5000v3? They are quite expensive RRP for a xc spike but I've come across a pair on sale in an outlet so might take a chance on them.

I have the 700v5, which I used in a handful of races last season, think they are marginally heavier than the ones you are looking at.
    Very comfortable and stable in various conditions, I found them true to size.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I have the 700v5, which I used in a handful of races last season, think they are marginally heavier than the ones you are looking at.
    Very comfortable and stable in various conditions, I found them true to size.

Let's be honest. You have every make and model of all shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

I've been trying to get hold of a pair of Brooks Racer ST5 for some time (never owned a pair before) and finally came across an eBay seller that has a few of them brand new and at a reasonable price. Still a few left:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brooks-Racer-ST5-Running-Shoes/222969916057

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭seanin4711

MrSkinny wrote: »
    I've been trying to get hold of a pair of Brooks Racer ST5 for some time (never owned a pair before) and finally came across an eBay seller that has a few of them brand new and at a reasonable price. Still a few left:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brooks-Racer-ST5-Running-Shoes/222969916057

Sportshoes.com have various brooks racers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭cmac2009

I've been a saucony guide user for a few years and looking to try adidas supernova in addition, can anyone advise re sizing of adidas in comparison to saucony. I remember seeing some comments previously that adidas run quite small. I'm a 10.5 in saucony so maybe need 11 in adidas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

cmac2009 wrote: »
    I've been a saucony guide user for a few years and looking to try adidas supernova in addition, can anyone advise re sizing of adidas in comparison to saucony. I remember seeing some comments previously that adidas run quite small. I'm a 10.5 in saucony so maybe need 11 in adidas?

I would have heard the same about adidas but have worn the supernova sequence and now the st for the last few years and they actually fit true to size.

Bahanaman wrote: »
    I would have heard the same about adidas but have worn the supernova sequence and now the st for the last few years and they actually fit true to size.

The Adios range runs a little small (half size).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Bahanaman wrote: »

How have you found the ST?. I'm chopping and changing my mind each day, I'm looking for a stability shoe but most seem quite heavy. Currently use saucony guide 10, which I've found to have the perfect balance between stability and weight. But looking to branch out and try something different as I increase my number of runs each week.

Any suggestions welcome.

Advertisement