Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The best chips in Tipp

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

Got a bag of chips in Miss Elle's in Clonmel, this evening and have to say they disappointed. The place looks well since it was refurbished. I'll give them another shot, but if things aren't upto the mark of the other chippers in town the next time I won't be going back a third time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

If someone could define the perfect chip it might help.My suggestions:

a)NO FROZEN CHIPS! Freshly cut only.

b)Crisp on the outside,floury on the inside.

c)Served in a bag.Not in plastic or worse those McDonalds holders which are wide at the top and slender at the bottom and are deliberately designed to appear to be giving you more chips than you're actually getting.

d)Some crispy small bits at the bottom are allowed,indeed welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭ciano1

archtech wrote: »
    Got a bag of chips in Miss Elle's in Clonmel, this evening and have to say they disappointed. The place looks well since it was refurbished. I'll give them another shot, but if things aren't upto the mark of the other chippers in town the next time I won't be going back a third time.

Pity, They used to be the best in Clonmel!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

For my local chipper, i'd have to say Genoa Takeaway (Enzo's) in Cahir. By far the nicest chips & pizza in town. In fact, think i might treat myself to something in a while :D

I'd also have to say the Parnell in clonmel, best Taco chip by far!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

For my local chipper, i'd have to say Genoa Takeaway (Enzo's) in Cahir. By far the nicest chips & pizza in town. In fact, think i might treat myself to something in a while :D

I'd also have to say the Parnell in clonmel, best Taco chip by far!

Enzo's are ridiculously slow..with everything, from burgers to pizzas...

also, Galileo, more expensive or not, have the nicest pizzas by far :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

callaway92 wrote: »
    Enzo's are ridiculously slow..with everything, from burgers to pizzas...

also, Galileo, more expensive or not, have the nicest pizzas by far :eek:

I agree Enzos can be slow at times, but is usually worth the wait. Was down there earlier, got a curry chip and 1/4 pounder, had it in 5 minutes of ordering and it was busy enough inside there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

Fats in Carrick are popular too, but the long wait in there would just wreck your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Dunnie1982

Robertos in carrick, it's only open a few months but it's the only place I'll go now (not that I eat fast food often), besides fats but they aren't as nice as they used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

McBurgers is the best chipper in Tipp Town. Trust me, years of experience. Although I have not tried that Kebab place on the main street. Its not there too long though.

After that I am a big fan of Roma in the square in Thurles. That one in Cahir is nice too but cant think of the name of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭holidaygirl

deejer wrote: »
    McBurgers is the best chipper in Tipp Town. Trust me, years of experience. Although I have not tried that Kebab place on the main street. Its not there too long though.

After that I am a big fan of Roma in the square in Thurles. That one in Cahir is nice too but cant think of the name of it.

Love McBurgers, would love a bag right now :(

There is a kebab house going into what used to be Nobel house saw it yesterday evening.

Is Roma the newest one in the square in Thurles? Love Mona Lisa chips in Thurles and the new place just down passed it on the way to Hayes is great can be slow but very tasty.

• Advertisement

Dunnie1982 wrote: »
    Robertos in carrick, it's only open a few months but it's the only place I'll go now (not that I eat fast food often), besides fats but they aren't as nice as they used to be.

Haven't been in Fats in about 2 years, used to be a regular Friday night thing in this house but it just got ridiculous having to spend half the night standing there to get a bit of grub.

I <3 Robertos, fantastic food and good value for money. I got a dinner box there one day for €8 and it fed 4 of us

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

What street in Carrick is Robertos?

At the traffic lights, opposite the garda station/beside Xtra vision, green place.

Used to be The Far East restaurant last century :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

Noel Drohans in Carrick when it was open was the nicest chipper in the area. No question. The chip wagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭anfieldrd

Mona lisa in thurles never a let down either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Fats in Carrick get's my vote. Great chips and even better spudballs.

I used to go to the Mayfair a lot until Sparky left for Fethard so when in Clonmel I tend to go to the Parnell Grill.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭antlyn

Has to be Lyons' at the Cashel Rd roundabout. SAVAGE!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭lachin

Fast food place in Littleton...loadsa nice crispy bits at bottom of Bag!!

The pike in Thurles is hit and miss imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

- 10 ....I wont be going to the chipper in Ballyclerihan again.

I was charged at the counter, received the food, then when I left the premises , the manager came out to say that he had undercharged me. He asked for the full amount, which I reluctantly gave him, but I would not go there again,....even if it was the last takeaway on earth....Very bad customer service.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

G Luxel wrote: »
    - 10 ....I wont be going to the chipper in Ballyclerihan again.

I was charged at the counter, received the food, then when I left the premises , the manager came out to say that he had undercharged me. He asked for the full amount, which I reluctantly gave him, but I would not go there again,....even if it was the last takeaway on earth....Very bad customer service.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Undercharged by much? Did they have one of those signs saying "please check your change as mistakes cannot be rectified later"?

It does sound a bit mean if it was something like you got fish and chips and they only charged you for the fish but if it was a huge amount, like more than €10 or €20 I might understand

• Advertisement

maybe the sign was behind the counter on top of the till for him maybe....but no, not for me.....all i wanted was a snackbox and a bottle of coke...and he said 5.50...so handed him the 5.50 and then sat around and waited for 5-10 minutes observed the overladened community noticeboard with flyers, businesscards, everything from local novena to nightclasses in whatever! then when i received the snackbox from the girl, i said ''theres a coke as well'' and she went over to the sliding fridge and gave me the coke. I walked out the door down the carpark and then the manager who had taken the order starts calling me to say that he undercharged me by 1.50 euro :eek: and that he was ''sorry'' so i just handed him a few coins RELUCTANTLY and then decided that I would never set foot in there again....even if a big glowly flashing sign into that village said FREE FOOD.........:mad: appalling service

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

So you're pissed off for having to pay for your bottle of Coke. I see...

It is a bit miserly I have to say running after you for €1.50 - how much have they bought the cokes fo About 75c maybe, and how many of them have they sold already? I'm sure their costs are well covered.

Still if I liked their food it wouldn't put me off going back there

So you're pissed off for having to pay for your bottle of Coke. I see...

NO...im pissed off at the fact that if I were a Mystery Shopper...he would get ZERO....for his bad customer service......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Exact opposite happened me in that Kebab place near the Guards Barracks in Clonmel. Can't remember the name of the place but I place a fairly big order with him, and paid him whatever he asked (donno exactly, something like €24). I waited in the place and a couple of mins later he called me to the counter to tell me he had OVERCHARGED me by €2.50. I honestly didn't know he did, but fair play to him. He knew I didn't know he made a mistake, and could have said nothing.

It was a bit petty of him to run after you for the sake of €1.50. If you were a regular customer, he'd know that he'd make it back from you in a short space of time. Now he has you lost for the sake of the €1.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Mona Lisa in Thurles used to be nice but have gone downhill, don't know if it's perhapd the oils not being changed enough or what but shame coz they used to be nicer.

No where in Thurles now that does proper fresh, decent chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭polc07

I have to say, my top three are

1. Miss Ellies - Clonmel
    2. Parnell Grill - Clonmel
    3. Village Grill - Clerihan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I used to rate the Roma in Cahir very highly but it is going downhill rapidly. I honestly can't remember the last time I got a decent bag of chips in there. (I'd go there once or maybe twice a month). Also, the snack boxes used to be lovely from there.. recently they have been poor for me.

Passed through Tipp Town there the other night and got a bag of chips in McBurger.. they were just lovely!!

I'd agree that Lyons in Clonmel are overrated. I haven't had food out of the Mayfair when sober in about 12 years but they are only fantastic at three in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I used to rate the Roma in Cahir very highly but it is going downhill rapidly. I honestly can't remember the last time I got a decent bag of chips in there. (I'd go there once or maybe twice a month). Also, the snack boxes used to be lovely from there.. recently they have been poor for me.

Passed through Tipp Town there the other night and got a bag of chips in McBurger.. they were just lovely!!

I'd agree that Lyons in Clonmel are overrated. I haven't had food out of the Mayfair when sober in about 12 years but they are only fantastic at three in the morning!
    Ha,chips always taste better at three in the morning for some reason;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Tasty Burger on main street in roscrea. Savage chips and onion rings.

Advertisement