Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best chips in Tipp

• 17-04-2011 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

A very important topic, this!

I nominate the chipper in Tipp Town that is just up from the small Cashel roundabout on the main street. Up until a few months ago it was in a blue and gold building, but they have moved next door since January. Delicious chips.

(Lyons in Clonmel = good but over-rated in my opinion).

I also have a soft spot for the Roma Cafe in Cahir, but that's probably only because it's my local ;)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Lyons Clonmel
    Arons in Carrick,some taco chips in there.
    The chipper in Clerahan is good also.
    stay clear of Luigis in the the M/S shopping center in Clonmel,awful stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Mama's in Nenagh

Proper Italian chipper
    Lots of Italian soccer players on the wall and flags

Queues out the door at lunchtime with the students. Can't be beat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Masala

There a chipper in Borriskane that do a great Battered Suasage...!!!!

Helps keep you mind off the journey through Cloughan - Ferbane which must be the worst road in ireland! Keeps me going til Kilmartins in Athlone for a Coffee and petrol top-up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭cml387

Masala wrote: »
    There a chipper in Borriskane that do a great Battered Suasage...!!!!

Helps keep you mind off the journey through Cloughan - Ferbane which must be the worst road in ireland! Keeps me going til Kilmartins in Athlone for a Coffee and petrol top-up!!

Knowing the route well,you must love someone an awful lot to do that trek.

Oh sorry, +1 for the chipper in Ballyclerihan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭julyjane

tippspur wrote: »
    Arons in Carrick,some taco chips in there.
    stay clear of Luigis in the the M/S shopping center in Clonmel,awful stuff.

I wouldn't think much of Aarons chips, but their fish and wraps are the best.
    Robertos in Carrick do great chips and chicken

I agree with you on Luigis in Clonmel, total let down!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Anyone fancy the chips out of the Emerald Garden in Clonmel (just the chips mind you)?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Roma Café in Cahir

Lyons in Clonmel

Mayfair after a night out in Clonmel

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

Frydays in Nenagh
    McBurgers in Tipp Town
    Lyons in Clonmel
    one in clerihan nice too had a battered mars bar one day well half one could fell the arteries clogging haha

• Registered Users Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Another vote for Roma in Cahir here too :) I'm not there very often any more but really love it when I do get chips there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Can't remember the right name for it, but Enzo's in Cahir can have EXCELLENT chips, and then at other times, just OK chips. Pity it being so hit and miss.

The Roma; still don't go in there very often after that Pig that used to run it for years. I'd starve, rather than give him my money. I know he's gone a while now, but old habbits die hard. :)

On a side note, does anyone remember his sisters pizzaeria on Castle Streeet? Maria's Pizzaeria. Had really nice pizza's, but same attitude to the customers as her brother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭MonsterMob

+1 for the chipper in ballyclerihan. best chips around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Vizzy

MonsterMob wrote: »
    +1 for the chipper in ballyclerihan. best chips around.

Is that place not closed now ?

Thought that the whole "shopping centre" (Spar shop etc) closed a few months ago ?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭MonsterMob

Vizzy wrote: »
    Is that place not closed now ?

Thought that the whole "shopping centre" (Spar shop etc) closed a few months ago ?

no just the centra was closed, the owner of the building and the person running the centra fell out so I was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Vizzy

MonsterMob wrote: »
    no just the centra was closed, the owner of the building and the person running the centra fell out so I was told.

Good, good chips alright.
    BTW the 2 developers that bought/owned/developed the whole place fell out.
    I think that the guy in the Centra just couldn't afford the rent(or the increased rent) which was a shame cos it was badly needed in Clerihan.

Can't remember the right name for it, but Enzo's in Cahir can have EXCELLENT chips, and then at other times, just OK chips. Pity it being so hit and miss.

The Roma; still don't go in there very often after that Pig that used to run it for years. I'd starve, rather than give him my money. I know he's gone a while now, but old habbits die hard. :)

On a side note, does anyone remember his sisters pizzaeria on Castle Streeet? Maria's Pizzaeria. Had really nice pizza's, but same attitude to the customers as her brother.

Around what time was he there. . . . that post you made agitates me as I think I know him and he is a very nice man if it is who I'm certain it is....

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭rob55

chipper on roundabout in tipp town 5 stars!!

golden kebab in golden, superbites in bansha

anybody in them places??

kebab zone in tipp town do one mean kebab!

callaway92 wrote: »
    Around what time was he there. . . . that post you made agitates me as I think I know him and he is a very nice man if it is who I'm certain it is....

I can tell you that the guy I'm talking about is not a nice man, never mind a very nice man. He was there for years. He owned the place I think. From the 80's through to the 90's he was the most arrogant, and ignorant PIG in the I've ever met. I personally know some people that worked there, and have the same thing to say about him. A lot of people worked there over the years, and I can't think of any that were like him. They were very pleasant. Maybe it's one of these you might be talking about.

He used never do pizzas, until when his sister open up her pizzeria, he started to do them. That's the kind of person he was.

I'm told he was eventually done for tax evasion, and I believe he's back in Italy now. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

I can tell you that the guy I'm talking about is not a nice man, never mind a very nice man. He was there for years. He owned the place I think. From the 80's through to the 90's he was the most arrogant, and ignorant PIG in the I've ever met. I personally know some people that worked there, and have the same thing to say about him. A lot of people worked there over the years, and I can't think of any that were like him. They were very pleasant. Maybe it's one of these you might be talking about.

He used never do pizzas, until when his sister open up her pizzeria, he started to do them. That's the kind of person he was.

I'm told he was eventually done for tax evasion, and I believe he's back in Italy now. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Ah ya, I know who your on about now..There have been 2 owners since him. Ya, you're right about the tax thing and yeah, the family is gone back to Italy!

There's been two owners since then? I never knew that.

There used to be a chipper in Tipp town called Sargent Peppers, I think, and it had great chips. They even opened a branch in Cahir for a short while, a long time ago now. Are they still there in Tipp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Black_Ninja

There's been two owners since then? I never knew that.

There used to be a chipper in Tipp town called Sargent Peppers, I think, and it had great chips. They even opened a branch in Cahir for a short while, a long time ago now. Are they still there in Tipp?

They sure are, Down bridge street. Tasty pizzas there

• Advertisement

Nice one. Must pay them a visit

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

chicken fillet burger and farm house burger savage too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

+1 For Mama's in Nenagh - Best fast food in Nenagh by a mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

What's the name of that chipper that stays open til after 1am on the main street of Tipp Town? Has been used by me in the wee hours a few times. Often a rough crew hanging around outside though. Not bad as far as chippers go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Black_Ninja

Tremelo wrote: »
    What's the name of that chipper that stays open til after 1am on the main street of Tipp Town? Has been used by me in the wee hours a few times. Often a rough crew hanging around outside though. Not bad as far as chippers go.

McBurgers? Just at the traffic lights

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Parnell in Clonmel is mighty for chips or a battered sausage as well as the pizzas. Lyons is nice but overrated.

The Pike in Thurles aint too bad either but then again havent being near the place in about two years so dont know if its still the same.

Pepe's in Killenaule do a nice bag of chips.

That place in Clerihan is nice as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

marios across from tesco is best in nenagh

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

the chipper in clerihan puts the chips in a plastic container which turns them all soggy
    the roma in cahir has nice chips but it depends on who's serving. if the small ignorant man is in there it's not worth eating the chips because you will be so mad after the way he has treated you. the taller one of his sons is a very nice man.
    what about sparky's in fethard, easily the best chipper. freshly battered cod, lovely chips, nice service.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 radagast

You're all wrong lads, bar one. frydays is the best chipper in nenagh - and honestly I wouldn't go into Mama's to even spend a penny.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=52.863165&mlon=-8.205328&zoom=18&layers=M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Mc Love wrote: »
    +1 For Mama's in Nenagh - Best fast food in Nenagh by a mile

great fresh cod and chips there!!

also Nino's in Templemore, who now do potato scallops, great garlic cheese chips and great fresh cod & chips.

I have lost so much weight from not eating there anymore :D

Advertisement