Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preparing for a fresh install - Fedora 23

• 02-11-2015 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've updated Fedora since 18 and think performance wise it might be worth installing Fedora 23 as a fresh install.

I'm not sure how best to prepare for this.

I'm happy enough that I can back up files.

I don't necessarily want to reinstall every programme I have now but would like something to make things easy.

I have a list of installed programmes from "dnf list installed". This shows the repos packages were installed from which is handy.

I have a bunch of programmes installed in /opt/. Is it possible to back the whole dir and copy the contents to the new OS?

Is there some automated magic I should be looking at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I don't understand what do you run now? Fedora 18? If you have fedora 23 doing a fresh install makes no sense. It's not windows. Search the internet for cleaning old config files, old rpm downloads, run "dnf clean all", "dnf --showduplicates".

If you have any particular problems with performance use "top" to diagnose them and then solve them. Or ask here - we'll help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭hooplah

No, I was on Fedora 22. Couple of things acting up - login sometimes reverts to cli login, I have an nvidia optimus graphics card and have messed around with it over the years.

I thought I would start off with a fresh install, add back in programs I have installed and try to sort issues that way. In the end I didn't bother and just upgraded with dnf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

OK, it sounds like a nvidia driver problem - check xorg logs after login reverted to cli.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

hooplah wrote: »
    No, I was on Fedora 22. Couple of things acting up - login sometimes reverts to cli login, I have an nvidia optimus graphics card and have messed around with it over the years.

I thought I would start off with a fresh install, add back in programs I have installed and try to sort issues that way. In the end I didn't bother and just upgraded with dnf.

I probably sound like a broken record, but if a fresh install is your ultimate solution to every problem, you wont reach your maximum potential of knowledge on the system. As Przemof said, its not Windows. If your login manager is acting up, fix it - reinstall it or upgrade it.

We'll help you.

Advertisement