Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Writing Team Looking for Artists for Potential Startup

• 13-11-2013 2:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hello Everyone!

I am one half of a two man team, We have the ambition, with no fatal egoism, to establish an online production business in Ireland, with a set of comics being integral to it all, as our initial & personal storytelling medium, & as the first aspect of our business model.

We are looking for experienced artists to help develop and story's, Based on our own ideas, as well as your own. Our story's will be developed as serial, standalone and anthology products. As a start up, were hoping to find an artist who shares our enthusiasm for producing great story's.

Were posting this, hoping to gain any interest or questions, people may half, as we gear up to get started. We'd love to find a local artist here in Dublin, but were open to working with international artists too, if we can make it work.

Leave a Comment below or PM me directly if you are interested! And Thanks Again :)

Sean Northridge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nebuoven

Hi Seán,
    What experience are you looking for? I work as an engineer but I can draw and have used Photoshop as part of my work before.

Regards,
    Gavin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 TheNorthridge

Hi Gavin,

Where looking for Art Experience, Any Pieces or a Portfolio will be great. But primarily were looking for Artists who have experience drawing comics before.

-Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nebuoven

Hi Seán,
    Thanks for the response. I don't really have a portfolio - I'd have to make one. But thanks for answering me and good luck with your project. If you're ever looking for ideas for stories concerning science/physics, feel free to send me a line.

Best regards,
    Gavin.

Hi Gavin,

What sort of art have you attempted before?

Ill be sure to give a bell if I need someone to generate ideas off :)

-Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 1 I am Destroyer

Hey Sean,
    My name is Patrick I'm a cartoonist living in Dublin.

heres my over all blog:
    http://iamdestroyercomics.wordpress.com

and here's my comic i update 3 times a week:
    http://angrylogiccomic.wordpress.com

please email me at iamdestroyercomics@gmail.com and let me know if i can do anything for you!

I have been a cartoonist for two years, have a design degree from NCAD and I'm fully experienced in Adobe photoshop, illustrator and indesign.

• Advertisement

Hi Patrick, I've sent you an email :) My email is snorthridge@gmail.com

-Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Ring4Fea

My experience is with Dark Horse, Image, DC & more. Please pardon, therefore, the blunt candour of my queries.

In comics, experience and the relative importance of the books/characters you work on decide how high your page to page rates are. Will you have such a sliding scale?

Most writers haven't seen footage of a page being produced thus have no concept of how long a page takes to thumbnail then rough then pencil then ink. If you write down how you lost your male (?) chastity it would likely require 20 minutes to express as a comics page but would take 18 hrs to provide a leunil or bisley or steranko level of proficiency. Will your deal structure reflect and RESPECT this?

How many pages per title do you want/anticipate ?

Pardon the following Tommy Tiernan moment but ink line quality is to comics what the type of camera film editing bay a d SFX suite is to film/TV so any comic w/ amateurish inks dies in the arse faster than Keith Lemon's career should the censorship system of the early 60s come back. Successful companies understand this; incognizant writers assume their motifs and dialogue carry everything come what may. Similar thinking to what caused the GFC. Have you considered a proficient inker w/ professional BG at proper rates as a safeguard?

What deadlines ate you looking at?

Professional_Comics_Page4_Top_Ten_Company_Smaller.jpg

"ARE you looking at", the last line should have been. Damn predictive text.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

I know Brendan McCarthy he used to work with 2000 AD.
    Will I let him know about your idea ?

• Advertisement

That brings up the fact 2000AD paid $ per page plus royalties, not merely an "image" style agreement. Will this proposed publishing group be offering page rate deals or Image deals?

Bran_Mak_Medium.jpg

Iron_Man_A.jpg[

Advertisement