Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mortal Kombat 9 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

It has potential to be a great tournament game if the issues above are addressed in my mind. From what I have read online it was produced to allow tweaks as the game progressed so that it could be refined for tourney play.

The button config thing for me is not the end of the world as I would just choose the button template that comes closest to what I want and just get used to that one. I can understand that for some people it is a big issue.

eco2live wrote: »
    It has potential to be a great tournament game if the issues above are addressed.

I'm not so sure, but its still early. There will be tons of stuff found over the next while that will dictate how balanced the game is, my personal oppinion is that if it wasn't designed to be balanced in the first place then tweaking stuff afterwards will have mixed consequences at best.

I think it's still more of a stylized fighter than a truly balanced one (albeit less than before), and in particular I think a few of the characters will end up being "god-tier" vs everybody else, which will affect it's tourney viability. Some characters really stand out as overpowered or very strong. For example, I was messing around with smoke last night and it was apparent after 5 minutes that there was potential to be seriously cheap with him, and I've already seen folks online owning entire rooms with Shang Tsung, even before the bulk of the advanced stuff in the game has been figured out.

The last thing we want is snoozefest tourneys where the same 3 characters are all that anybody picks because nobody else can compete. (anybody remember vanilla SFIV sagat mirror match BS?)

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

I'm not so sure, but its still early. There will be tons of stuff found over the next while that will dictate how balanced the game is, my personal oppinion is that if it wasn't designed to be balanced in the first place then tweaking stuff afterwards will have mixed consequences at best.

I think it's still more of a stylized fighter than a truly balanced one (albeit less than before), and in particular I think a few of the characters will end up being "god-tier" vs everybody else, which will affect it's tourney viability. Some characters really stand out as overpowered or very strong.

Bunkei from Alphism Radio did an excellent interview with Tom Brady, he is to the MK scene what Alex Valle is to SF, and he's been play testing MK 9 since january. According to him other then Quan Chi's rune trap needing a nerf and Barraka being the worst character in the game, the game is pretty balanced, everybody has something that's cheap so its balanced in that sense.
    The last thing we want is snoozefest tourneys where the same 3 characters are all that anybody picks because nobody else can compete. (anybody remember vanilla SFIV sagat mirror match BS?)

3rd Strike and Mvc2 spring to mind much faster then Vanilla SF4, Vega might have been the worst in the game but at least he could still compete, unlike Sean in 3s or 80% of MVC2's roster.

J0hnick wrote: »
    3rd Strike and Mvc2 spring to mind much faster then Vanilla SF4, Vega might have been the worst in the game but at least he could still compete, unlike Sean in 3s or 80% of MVC2's roster.

Yep, agreed. Third strike in particular. It's still an amazing game, but at the highest level there are only so many chun vs yun (and an occasional ken) matches you can take.

It will be interesting to see frame data on MK when it's worked out. I have a feeling that the very top guys will figure out a lot of cheeky stuf with frame advantage and option selects on moves, but by and large that stuff will pass most players by. Personally, I just don't have the time to live and breathe fighting games anymore like I used to. Life has gotten In the way, so a fighter like this that seems nicely deep but isn't going to take over my life trying to learn timings for 1 or 2 frame links is great.

BTW- lol at the "everybody's equally cheap, so therefore it's balanced" argument :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

BTW- lol at the "everybody's equally cheap, so therefore it's balanced" argument :-)

Look at mvc 3 :p if the character ain't broken. There bad:p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Anyone got any tips for beating Shao Kahn at the end? I'm trying to spam teleport behind him, punish then jump and fly away. But if he hits me at all I'm finished.

I've also tried the fly move over and over but this was only met with mixed success. And the constant jumping over him back and forth plain does not work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

depends what level you're playing on but teleport when he taunts/throws hammer and jump punch and uppercut from behind. Or if you have raiden his flaying push thing goes below his hammer

I'm doing it on medium. I only have a split second after the teleport to do anything so its usually just uppercut. And I find his projectiles often hit me out of the flying push.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

hammer shouldn't, maybe it's the spear I'm thinking of. Scorpions fire is unblockable, In the tower i just spammed strykers gun fire to take out 3 of him on one health bar, you can try that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Yeah I just beat him.
    The following worked for me
    Always keep distance.Wait for him to throw spear then teleport,use forward +BP,BK,torpedo to punish. back up
    Repeat.
    Timing can be hard for teleport/punish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

goro and kintaro, just jump in HP then uppercut, repeat until dead.

for shao khan u can just jump in and kick and repeat, hell jump up the odd time, on the 3rd/4th kick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Day_Sleeper

I ordered it ****ing weeks before it came out on Play.com and I got a e-mail saying it would be here within 3-5 days last Monday, WHERE THE **** IS IT?!

I'm desperate for some Sub Zero and Scorpio action

• Registered Users Posts: 14,820 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

That's play.com for you, amazon all the way
    Rob2D wrote: »
    I'm doing it on medium. I only have a split second after the teleport to do anything so its usually just uppercut. And I find his projectiles often hit me out of the flying push.
    Do his three hit combo, back + x, square, triangle then uppercut. Rinse and repeat. Beat him on the first try doing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Day_Sleeper

I was sucked in my promises of free delivery.. Maybe I will try amazon next time :P

Cheers guys, I'll try it tomorrow.

And why the hell does anyone buy from play.com? How are they still in business!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I was sucked in my promises of free delivery.. Maybe I will try amazon next time :P

Their rip off of Irish customers should have been a good enough reason.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

A few months ago, before the release of MVC3 and MK9, I saw the former as the game that I would love and really get into, and the latter as a game I might buy, but would probably get bored of and trade it back.

Oh how very very wrong I was - MVC3 held my interest momentarity before it was traded in.

Menu issues aside, I am thoroughly loving this game. Haven't played a 1 player fighting game as much since SF2Turbo. It's tough to get a ranked game online, but vs lobbies with friends online are great.

Playing as Johnny Cage, Cyrax and Kitana atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Ar, I'm looking forward to some locals with MK at the moment - the few games I've had are awesome. My PSN copy is restricting my online access. :/
    I'm rocking team bottom tier at the moment - Sheeva and Cyber Sub Zero. Still not certain about using Cyber Sub or Sindel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Gonna use Kitana and Sonya and maybe Stryker as well, copy should arrive tomorrow, hyped!

Sairus wrote: »
    Ar, I'm looking forward to some locals with MK at the moment - the few games I've had are awesome. My PSN copy is restricting my online access. :/

Yeah deffo.When I play the 1 player and have a few games with my bro I think i'ts quality.Then try the online and i want to punch someone so hard in the face.
    It was designed for local games with mates or at least online in same nationality lobbies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

The online is ok, You go to join room then either create a room, name it 000000Europe or so and ppl from europe will join. I usually look for a room with the name England or so. I've met some SF4 players in these room. Connection is fine with them. The online has slight delay but playable

Cheers,
    Just scrolled down list of rooms and saw France,Holland England Quebec! etc.
    I'm a spastic,never copped it.I only joined the first 5 or 6 ones at the start.:pac:
    See ya later yanks

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Mickles_86

I ordered it ****ing weeks before it came out on Play.com and I got a e-mail saying it would be here within 3-5 days last Monday, WHERE THE **** IS IT?!

Them shams screwed me with MVC3 it came 5 days after release!!

I recommend Gameplay.com they always come a day early, MK came last wednesday and it was the only chance i got to play online because of this PS3 hacking nonsense!:mad:
    I'm now resorted to playing the Gears 3 beta on my 360 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the netcode is bloody abysmal.

After a couple of unplayably bad games with FutureGuy (no bad feelings, you've kicked my ass fair and square at good-connection SF before :)) I got a quick game in with a friend I know I should get good connections with, wasn't nearly as bad but still very sluggish. He didn't have SF4 on hand so we had a quick set of HDR for comparison: smooth as silk. :pac:

So yeah, totally MKs fault.

On a totally unrelated note has anybody noticed that Cyber-Subs bombs randomly don't cause freeze? What the hell's the deal with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭VizardAnto

This game is epic but **** ....... why is the online so ass..... laggy as hell and keeps saying server not available at this time?..... This game is mad fun but you can't play this in lag at all :mad:. Is this just me or is the netcode ass?

Oh my sweet f*ck, what a HORRIBLE online experience. Input lag all over the place combined with defensive play and noob spam everywhere, and combos not working because the timing sucks online.

After having a lot of fun with this offline and going online for the first time tonight I'm bitterly disappointed, and im glad to see I'm not the only one. They better patch this before the single player mode's appeal wears off or it will be straight back to Gamestop for a trade-in with it. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

After a quick discussion with my test partner, apparently MK was grand on his end, not even the pauses at the beginning of rounds.

Has anyone else conversed with their opponents and compared experiences? Maybe there's a blatant host/client thing going on? That would explain the polarised reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

Oh my sweet f*ck, what a HORRIBLE online experience. Input lag all over the place combined with defensive play and noob spam everywhere, and combos not working because the timing sucks online.

After having a lot of fun with this offline and going online for the first time tonight I'm bitterly disappointed, and im glad to see I'm not the only one. They better patch this before the single player mode's appeal wears off or it will be straight back to Gamestop for a trade-in with it. :-(
    The online is ok, You go to join room then either create a room, name it 000000Europe or so and ppl from europe will join. I usually look for a room with the name England or so. I've met some SF4 players in these room. Connection is fine with them. The online has slight delay but playable.

Playing it offline? By which you mean the computer? You cant compare the AI to real people. You can't spam in this game, I reckon every char has moves to get around any type of zoning especially with meter, seems like once someones in and gets momentum and knows their combos you'll struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

IMO the game is fun and has aload of offline things to do, to keep anyone amused:). I just beat story mode there, it was easy enough but it made me salty as f**k! shao kahn is just major cheap:eek:....well it seems that way at the moment. Anyway its still a seriosuly good game:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

After a couple of unplayably bad games with FutureGuy (no bad feelings, you've kicked my ass fair and square at good-connection SF before :))
    After a quick discussion with my test partner, apparently MK was grand on his end, not even the pauses at the beginning of rounds.

Has anyone else conversed with their opponents and compared experiences? Maybe there's a blatant host/client thing going on? That would explain the polarised reports.

This is very weird indeed as I saw little-to-no lag on our games! No pausing, but a very small button delay. I was landing alot of my combos and there is no way I would have had I lag. When I lag, my play goes to sh!te lol.

IIFC, you invited me, so you were hosting right?

Advertisement