Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Boooourns

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Corolla Terra's are for culchies and the interior is the best known cure for agoraphobia.

Ha, right cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What size of a car do you need, are you looking for 2 cars?

What size of a car do you need, are you looking for 2 cars?

No just one. I have a Ford focus 06 LX and we're looking to get a new one. Big reason is because we now have 2 kids so we need more room in the car, looking for one with a big boot and enough room for 2 child carseats and a small adult in the back seat.
    It's headwrecking stuff trying to pick a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kings9929

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a4-2005-auto/6302184

just came across here when I started looking for a car lots of great advice.

Can anyone offer ideas on this one. Rang the seller re the gearbox he said that it prob needs changing and has a few other minor problems with it like the carpet mentioned and added it was due service and needed new tyres.

I asked him how stuck on price he was but wouldn't budge on phone, suggested I come look at car and we can talk price then if I want to buy it. Any ideas?

Boooourns wrote: »
    No just one. I have a Ford focus 06 LX and we're looking to get a new one. Big reason is because we now have 2 kids so we need more room in the car, looking for one with a big boot and enough room for 2 child carseats and a small adult in the back seat.
    It's headwrecking stuff trying to pick a car.

Forget the jazz so. I reckon a skoda superb or a midi MPV like a verso is the way to go.
    For a small car with enough space, a honda frv would be a winner.
    2.2 diesel would be entertaining.

• Advertisement

kings9929 wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a4-2005-auto/6302184

just came across here when I started looking for a car lots of great advice.

Can anyone offer ideas on this one. Rang the seller re the gearbox he said that it prob needs changing and has a few other minor problems with it like the carpet mentioned and added it was due service and needed new tyres.

I asked him how stuck on price he was but wouldn't budge on phone, suggested I come look at car and we can talk price then if I want to buy it. Any ideas?
    If that's a multitronic I'd walk. In fact I'd walk either way.

Forget the jazz so. I reckon a skoda superb or a midi MPV like a verso is the way to go.
    For a small car with enough space, a honda frv would be a winner.
    2.2 diesel would be entertaining.

Octavias! Was thinking of looking at this today....
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Skoda/Octavia/DUAL-ZON/37713887679748900/advert?channel=CARS

Had a look at this one yesterday, loved the size of the boot....
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Skoda/Octavia/DUAL-ZON/36513830510127040/advert?channel=CARS

Back seat won't be wide enough for what you need.

Back seat won't be wide enough for what you need.

We had a look at one and we were happy enough with the size. We'd only have a small adult in the back seat very occasionally and the boot is perfect...those double buggy's are big.
    Anything I should watch out for. They're going to NCT and service before I see it so I'm hoping its in good condition when I see it.

Have you actually fitted child seats in the back to see?

The boot is bigger than your focus but its not any bigger in the cabin.

• Advertisement

Have you actually fitted child seats in the back to see?

The boot is bigger than your focus but its not any bigger in the cabin.

I haven't to be fair. We'll have the a seats with us when we go and see it so I can see then.

Problem you'll have with most cars is that the seat isn't flat and the car seat drops into the dips in the seat, leaving the gap In the middle tiny.

Octavia is a longer Golf. Not really any wider

Problem you'll have with most cars is that the seat isn't flat and the car seat drops into the dips in the seat, leaving the gap In the middle tiny.

Octavia is a longer Golf. Not really any wider

Ah right I see what you mean, never thought of that.

Small mpvs with individual rear seats get around this.

Honda frv

q4pq.png

04 onwards corolla verso
    otnl.jpg

Superb. Not as clever, but a wider car and the bolsters are small
    xswc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Body on the saloon is rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Has that model hatchback any known issues? I was also thinking about this if the price is negotiable.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/car/6301250

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Civic suffers from gearbox bearing failure which is very common as is power steering. Neither are that cheap to fix.

I'd be looking towards one of these instead:

26073894.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla/6262601

That first silver one has aircon and bits too.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

bazz26 wrote: »
    Motor tax on those 2009 Avensis 1.6 is over €500 a year, just something to note.

Another alternative:
    media?xwm=y&id=a9e4157b-7490-4ea7-93ba-3cce965eaa70&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Passat/HIGH-1.4/36313857393816940/

ya the road tax on the 09 old shape avensis 1.6 petrol is €750....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 AdrianSandu

Hi guys,

I started looking for a car - something as cheap and reliable as possible (I don't want much, don't I?). Practically something that will take me from A to B.

I am interested in this deal http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-megane-classic-4-se/6304343, mainly because it comes from a SIMI dealer, has one year NCT and it's not outrageous in tax.

Do you think this is a good deal?

Thanks a lot,

Adrian

First of all, don't put too much faith in buying from a dealer at this end of the market as there is very little or no profit in offering warranties on sub €1000 cars. Generally dealers who sell cars in this price range have just taken them in a trade-ins and tend to be someone else's cast off. The dealer will spend very little on fixing them before selling them on again. Better off buying private imo where you can speak with the owner of the car which will give you an idea of how it was maintained. Just make sure to have the car examined by a mechanic first.

Secondly, being a SIMI member means absolutely nothing to you as a customer. All the SIMI are is a group made up of dealer members who lobby for their best interests. They add no value to the buying customer.

Thirdly, if you want something reliable of that vintage then you are better off with something like a Toyota Corolla, Ford Focus or Mazda 323, etc.

My current budget keeps me under 1000 for the car + tax + insurance. My wife insists that if we buy one, we buy from a dealer, as we would have more rights than in a private transaction. We need it for short commuting (less than 5 km each way) and hopefully the occasional weekend escapade outside Dublin. I realised that taxi is going to start costing me at least 300 euro a month and considered getting a cheap small car instead.

Maybe I should look for a private sale around 450-600 instead? Anything above (2000 + tax + insurance + fuel) is way over my needs (I'll spend less with taxis) so there's no real deal in saving too much for a better car either.

What are the usual costs for an NCT inspection? Presuming the car passes the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Guffy

Have a 6k budget for a car. Looking at diesel as will be driving 15-20k a year. Was considering a focus or mondeo. Has anyone any experience with these or could a better alternative be suggested?

Would it be worth going hybrid for distance driving?

What is the deal with the "just passed NCT" but the due date is only several months away? From what I read, NCT is done every two years. Is it backdated from the due date of the previous one? Does it mean that the car was left with NCT expired a long time?

If that's true, and I buy a car without NCT valid, does this mean that the next due date won't actually be 2 years from the exam date, but two years from the last time the previous owner passed the NCT?

Thanks,

Adrian

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Guffy

What is the deal with the "just passed NCT" but the due date is only several months away? From what I read, NCT is done every two years. Is it backdated from the due date of the previous one? Does it mean that the car was left with NCT expired a long time?

If that's true, and I buy a car without NCT valid, does this mean that the next due date won't actually be 2 years from the exam date, but two years from the last time the previous owner passed the NCT?

Thanks,

Adrian

I had nct due october 2012, to be done every year, but didn't bring it in til July 2013. Because it was within the 3 months of its due date in 2013 I got a13 month NCT rather that it being backdated with 3 months left.

Thanks,

Adrian

It is backdated in most cases to the due date otherwise people would simply not bother getting it done until they were told. BTW cars 10 year or older only get a NCT for 1 year not 2.

My current budget keeps me under 1000 for the car + tax + insurance. My wife insists that if we buy one, we buy from a dealer, as we would have more rights than in a private transaction. We need it for short commuting (less than 5 km each way) and hopefully the occasional weekend escapade outside Dublin. I realised that taxi is going to start costing me at least 300 euro a month and considered getting a cheap small car instead.

Maybe I should look for a private sale around 450-600 instead? Anything above (2000 + tax + insurance + fuel) is way over my needs (I'll spend less with taxis) so there's no real deal in saving too much for a better car either.

What are the usual costs for an NCT inspection? Presuming the car passes the test.
    Any car a dealer is selling for €1000 will have been bought for nothing.
    Buy privately. Spend the €1000, and at this level the make of car is very important. You can't beat the older Japanese stuff.

• Advertisement

Any car a dealer is selling for €1000 will have been bought for nothing.
    Buy privately. Spend the €1000, and at this level the make of car is very important. You can't beat the older Japanese stuff.

How would a VW rate in terms of reliability? '95-'99 Polos and Golfs?

Advertisement