Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC Horizon - Eat, Fast, Live Longer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

Just caught the last twenty minutes, looks really interesting. Anybody know if it's going to be repeated?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭superelliptic

Dont know about a repeat, but you will be able to get it on youtube or torrent shortly I'd say. Im going to give that diet a try - seems fairly straight forward.

Currently 15.5 stone as it is, so I'll take help from anywhere tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It was interesting but clearly its a matter still in the very early stages and certainly not something one can jump into without proper prep and supervision. Sadly as an already low BMI type 1 diabetic I doubt I could do this without causing more problems than the diet might solve.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,108 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I'm gonna try this today. Already missing my morning cup of coffee. Black tea ain't the same. Still trying to decide what to eat for my 500 calories. Probably go for a half portion of dinner after work just cause I think its important to sit down and eat as a family

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TheZ

Interesting show - suggested link between IGF1 and various diseases was interesting particularly as protein is what increases IGF1 production

the day on day off fasting or 5 off 2 days on fasting seems like something that a person with any willpower can manage

also liked the phrase "hunger doesn't build and build but comes in waves and passes"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

makes sense, our ancestors fasted for days im sure, all this food every day must be very new to our bodies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Was it about IF?

86 hour fast... fúck that. Lose all my gainz!

Generally you don't do a 500 calorie meal on fast days. Just drink some coffee or green tea.

86 hour fast... fúck that. Lose all my gainz!

Generally you don't do a 500 calorie meal on fast days. Just drink some coffee or green tea.

He did four days with nothing except water, black tea, one cup miso soup
    Supposed to repeat every two months

Then did fast day and feed day every second day - fast day one meal about 500 calories and feed day eat what you want (people tend to only eat about 110% of normal calories on feed days)

Then did five days feeding and two fasting (fasting in sense of restricted calories)

Restricted calories grows brain cells too as hunger means body says **** better start thinking!

Was fasting once a week part of Catholicism until recently

All produced similar results

• Registered Users Posts: 1 twang

I thought this program was fascinating. Particularly with the 5-2 fast. It left me with two question, can anyone here shed any light?
    1. What was he having for his ulta-low calorie lunch on his fast days? Just miso soup?
    2. I guess that the 2 days of fasy have to be consecutive so that the 'go-go genes' which into 'repair mode'. Is that correct?

Anyone any ideas?

Thansk

• Advertisement

twang wrote: »
    I thought this program was fascinating. Particularly with the 5-2 fast. It left me with two question, can anyone here shed any light?
    1. What was he having for his ulta-low calorie lunch on his fast days? Just miso soup?
    2. I guess that the 2 days of fasy have to be consecutive so that the 'go-go genes' which into 'repair mode'. Is that correct?

Anyone any ideas?

Thansk
    It was just miso soup for the four days with no food
    On the 5-2 fast I believe he was eating about 500 calories in a single meal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

twang wrote: »
    I guess that the 2 days of fasy have to be consecutive so that the 'go-go genes' which into 'repair mode'. Is that correct?

Thansk

no - he was doing 2 random days and not very strict afair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

What's the story with the guy he met that was on the 'stem' diet? The bowl of fruit he had was huge, like a mixing bowl when you are cooking. Not to mention the cost - a huge bowl of berries and apple skins can't be cheap!

I like the idea of the 5-2 fasting idea (with 500 cals on the fasting day). It seems sustainable atleast.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

quick one lads - does anyone know if IGF-1 levels were lower no matter what his diet was like ? Kinda scares me I am purposefully eating lots of protein which is doing me damage in the long run. I'd like to think IF can negate the IGF-1 issue. ( if any of that makes sense )

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

So let me get this straight. The two days fasting were random and not censecutive?

Typewriter wrote: »
    So let me get this straight. The two days fasting were random and not censecutive?

yep - from what I remember.

double post

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Applepony

Just watched this documentary on you tube. Very good, going to start Monday ( diets always start Monday 😜. Going to get my bloods taken before the plan to see does it work. Is anyone doing it? The 5/2 is definately the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

Going to give this a go. Probably start with one 24h fast per week to start. One thing I'm a bit worried about is the dizzyness/light-headedness. Have visions of passsing out while driving :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

boogle wrote: »
    Going to give this a go. Probably start with one 24h fast per week to start. One thing I'm a bit worried about is the dizzyness/light-headedness. Have visions of passsing out while driving :(

I know what you mean.

I was amazed watching this program. If I don't eat regularly, I get really shaky and then throw up a lot when I do eventually eat. (Nothing medically wrong with me, just seems like my blood sugar drops)

To me going for even one day without eating is unthinkable!

I started IF last Monday - but 16/8 version and training fasted.

Wednesday my lifts suffered - no doubt and I got very light headed after some warm up squats ( I'll admit I am not immune to this anyway ) and didn't continue.

I've been awake since 5 am and have thought about food every minute since ( feed at 2 ) - I am told I will get used to this and really its just a mental thing.

edit : there is also a definite haziness to my thought patterns, don't go saying "I do" to anyone before you've eaten ! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭rocky

Do you manage to get your daily calories in the feeding window? If you're not, this might be a reason for your gym regress

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

rocky wrote: »
    Do you manage to get your daily calories in the feeding window? If you're not, this might be a reason for your gym regress

you may very well have hit the nail on the head there !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

How does this work for those trying to increase muscle mass. I'd not like to end up looking like the guy eating fruit. He was like a rake!

Currently, I'm doing leangains : http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

However, it seems that the difference here is that although you skip breakfast your calorific intake for the day remains unaltered.

I am wondering if this approach can be used for those trying to gain muscle mass. It was a bit discerning that protein got mentioned in a bad light during parts relating to IGF-1 levels.

Has anyone stumbled across anything on this?

rocky wrote: »

However, it seems that the difference here is that although you skip breakfast your calorific intake for the day remains unaltered.

I think I have just realised a major flaw in MY approach to 16/8 IF.

I am eating no where near enough calories - to the point where 3 people in the last 2 days have commented on my weight loss and I am down on strength compared to my normal WO.

thanks for highlighting this guy's, I guess I fell into the trap of because its a "diet" I need to eat a bit less - I hadn't planned to do it, t'was kinda subconscious like.

The guy in the programme made observation that when fasting the hunnger does not build and build but rather it comes and goes in waves

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I think I have just realised a major flaw in MY approach to 16/8 IF.

I am eating no where near enough calories - to the point where 3 people in the last 2 days have commented on my weight loss and I am down on strength compared to my normal WO.

thanks for highlighting this guy's, I guess I fell into the trap of because its a "diet" I need to eat a bit less - I hadn't planned to do it, t'was kinda subconscious like.

What are your goals with IF?

Recomp? weight loss?

• Advertisement

What are your goals with IF?

Recomp? weight loss?

build muscle - with little or no fat gain

Advertisement