Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should Ireland welcome gentically modified food?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Ireland has vast amounts of land for food production and our population is tiny, we don't need to bring in GM crops

If we lived in a country like Holland where population density is very high and land is at a premium, then we would have to look at the possibility

As it stands, we don't need it here in Ireland

We are a trading economy and our farming land is a resource so are you saying we don't need to increase production, are you saying we don't need all those extra foreign earnings and those extra jobs and wealth?????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

D wrote: »
    The major concern is that GM crops can be designed to not propagate a seed. This means that unlike now where a farm keeps some seed to replant next year, the farmer will have to buy more seed of the company every year.

GM crops can also be designed to aggressively cross-pollinate so that non-GM crops can be affected, resulting in the farmer having to buy seeds every year.

GM crops can also be designed to respond only to certain fertilisers so that the farmer needs to buy from the company every year too.

The main point is that GM crops create a dependency on that company. So instead of now where someone gets seed and is able to continue farming, with GM crops you have to pay an outlay to the company every year.

This is fine if you are a big factory farm but for smaller farmers, especially poorer farmers you are creating an unnecessary burden.

GM crops can have loads of benefits but companies will attach conditions to those benefits to shackle farmers to them. It will also mean that the bio-diversity will be threatened.
    Exactly. That, for me, is the biggest threat.
    Also, Monsanto produces the weedkiller Roundup, Gm crops are engineered to be resistant to Roundup, so the idea is to spray the poison liberally and crops will be fine, everything else will die. Wonderful... So much for Ireland's green image and unpolluted topsoil.
    And they have the cheek to tell us that we'll benefit. No we won't. The likes of Monsanto will benefit greatly.
    This is all about money, it's not for the good of the world's population. Public disapproval of genetically modified foods isn't just about the science, it's also about the principle. It will make a lot of money for a few people, create a monopoly, and bio-diversity will suffer.

44leto wrote: »
    We are a trading economy and our farming land is a resource so are you saying we don't need to increase production, are you saying we don't need all those extra foreign earnings and those extra jobs and wealth?????
    No, we need to pay farmers decent prices for their crops. Farmers need bigger fields and higher yields and increased production only because they get paid pennies, because we don't want to pay for quality food down the supermarkets.
    As was said before, Ireland is uniquely placed in Europe, it should make the most of its green reputation. Not spoil it by going the GM route.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Conflats

voted no on this one.

mainly for branding reasons.

any gobshyte can grow foods so potential developments in other up and coming countries around the world threaten our market share as we aint a cheap country to farm in.

but marketing ourselves as a non GM country ?

thats quids in for the speciality market and those idiots will spend a fortune on it and its a growing futures market.

that all goes out the window if weve got widescale GM farming potentially "infecting" stuff

even the rumour of it threatens sales.

whether thats rational or not is irrelevent.

just look at the number of countries we cant sell beef in because of the british BSE cases.

Actually Ireland also had outbreaks of BSE so that is not a valid point in this argument, although we have not had any outbreaks for the last few years.

You use the word infecting? whats infecting things? if its the transgenic crops the genes they use already exist in the natural environment.

The consumers are the very people who are calling for less chemical inputs to there food, and like everything in life you cant have it every way there is a choice which needs to be made
    1) No Gm and more chemical inputs( because this is just the way it goes for a number of resaons)
    2)Gm in a rational way with proper laws and the use of gm to benefit everyone with relevant gene transfer

Fact of life on this planet we are using up our resources and the population is expanding rapidly so unless there is a major slowdown in population growth something needs to be done quick.

The last green revolution helped to multiply yields significantly, example Wheat yields in western europe( highest average yield's in the world are obtained here) increased by 2% per year 20 years ago now it lucky to be 1% while maize in the states etc is increasing by 8% per anumn in some cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Good to see Luddism still alive and well...

There are certainly arguments as to how GM food is implemented (mostly surrounding copyrighting and patents) but they shouldn't be used as an argument against GM foods as a concept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Conflats

Johro wrote: »
    Exactly. That, for me, is the biggest threat.
    Also, Monsanto produces the weedkiller Roundup, Gm crops are engineered to be resistant to Roundup, so the idea is to spray the poison liberally and crops will be fine, everything else will die. Wonderful... So much for Ireland's green image and unpolluted topsoil.
    And they have the cheek to tell us that we'll benefit. No we won't. The likes of Monsanto will benefit greatly.
    This is all about money, it's not for the good of the world's population. Public disapproval of genetically modified foods isn't just about the science, it's also about the principle. It will make a lot of money for a few people, create a monopoly, and bio-diversity will suffer.

Yes that is this form of gm which may affect biodiversity, on the subject of roundup it is now a generic product which you can buy off anyone you like, it was one major reason behind Monsanto producing these RR crops. Also Roundup is one of the safer herbicides vs the ones which have been banned due the fact they are extremely toxic, plus the fact it has been shown to break down in the soil and not accumulate.

That in my opinion is where government regulation can stop this only allow crops which have a relevance to irish agriculture such as Fungal disease resitance and increase N use efficiency.

Biodiversity in Ireland is not under threat due to a major factor the 80% use of agricultural land for grass based enterprises and the 10% for arable and the rest for forestry and rough grazing. The arable sector stands to benefit directly from this technology at a time when we have to fight our corner in world markets against the big countries like ukraine, russia and argentina we have to maximise tonnes per ha.

Also Irish tillage farming does not have the vast monocultures that exist in other countries which also reduces the potential impact it may have on biodiversity

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

Just to point out, a crop that CAN'T produce seeds is no good. The fruit that you actually eat is the swollen ovary around the seed. Also, like it or not, but genes and genomes could and most likely will become patentable. Tracker genes are already being proposed in breeding circles to trace an animals origin, and genetic implants in pollinating flies and bees couldn't be too far off. Ireland should welcome this with open arms because we have some of the best scientific institutes to develop and support it, e.g. the CRANN nano-science facility in Trinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Plus we have been eating genetically modified food for thousands of years. Its not a new practice.

Not the same.

Selective breeding is a hatchet, GM is a scalpel. Which does the job cleaner?

Bad analogy.

Indeed all of the concerns about gm food can be worked out.

Have they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

YFlyer wrote: »
    Have they?

Sorry Im sure you will understand but myself and others proponents and opponents have put forward detailed scientific arguements to back up our views two word replies and queries will not get a detailed reply from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

http://www.dawn.com/2012/03/11/us-scientists-warn-epa-on-monsanto-corn-rootworm.html

Rootworm adapting to 'rootworm' proof GM crops.

Monsanto now telling farmers to use insecticides, the same insecticides they were told they wouldn't need if they used GM crops...

Caliden wrote: »
    http://www.dawn.com/2012/03/11/us-scientists-warn-epa-on-monsanto-corn-rootworm.html

Rootworm adapting to 'rootworm' proof GM crops.

Monsanto now telling farmers to use insecticides, the same insecticides they were told they wouldn't need if they used GM crops...

Monsanto are not the only ones working on gm crops! I could literally walk into the lab and give it shot (it would probraly kill whoever took it but what the hell).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

(it would probraly kill whoever took it but what the hell).

Lol.....you see its that wreckless attitude thats the problem.

The precautionary principle seems to have been all but forgotten.

Lol.....you see its that wreckless attitude thats the problem.

The precautionary principle seems to have been all but forgotten.

I was just illustrating that Monsanto do not hold exclusive rights to genetic engineering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I was just illustrating that Monsanto do not hold exclusive rights to genetic engineering.

I was making a joke! :rolleyes:

(well partly)

I was making a joke! :rolleyes:

(well partly)

Ah ok sorry :o

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Just to point out, a crop that CAN'T produce seeds is no good.
    The yellow bananas most people eat are selectively bred to be sterile i.e. the don't produce a viable seed. The crop is renewed through vegetative propagation.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

bleg wrote: »
    Like it or not GMO will be at the forefront of food technology for at least the next 30 years. Ireland should be riding on the cusp of the wave and not wallowing in the backwater.

Thankfully, most people here don't have a problem with GM but rather with the company and patent law that surrounds it at the moment.

If you don't like the idea of GMO you can always go off and join the Amish.
    That's a pretty ignorant remark, there are lots of valid arguments against GMO coming from the same scientific background as the people who are for it.
    As for Ireland 'riding on the cusp of the wave', it's a bit late for that. GM is all over Europe already. Much better for Ireland to be true to it's green image and stick with the ban on GM crops and the GM free zone, since that stance is actually applauded by many in the EU.
    It's a mistake to regard any new technology or scientific breakthrough as a triumph, many such mistakes have been made in the past.

• Advertisement

bleg wrote: »
    Excellent video and deals with a small bit about GMO from 12 minutes.

Oh come on, anyone can find a youtube video that supports their view. I'm getting kinda fed up too with the notion that people who don't want genetically modified foods are luddites or in any way anti-progress or 'denying science' . Ffs.
    There's plenty of scientific material to be found on the dangers of GMO's if anyone cared to look.

Johro wrote: »
    Oh come on, anyone can find a youtube video that supports their view. I'm getting kinda fed up too with the notion that people who don't want genetically modified foods are luddites or in any way anti-progress or 'denying science' . Ffs.
    There's plenty of scientific material to be found on the dangers of GMO's if anyone cared to look.

There is for and against Johro but the problem is some people seem to be rejecting it out of hand. The other thing Ill say in monsanto does not hold exclusive rights to gm crops! I wouldnt like that myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

This is very much worth the watch : http://www.thefutureoffood.com/onlinevideo.html

The benefits of GM crops are highly exaggerated and severely short sighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Roadtrippin

lcrcboy wrote: »

Yes, please. As long as they taste like strawberries :pac: Nom nom.
    But according to that link "the gene that regulates the production of the antifreeze trait was taken from the Arctic Flounder fish and was genetically introduced into the strawberry plant"

I'd say those strawberries may taste of Arctic Ocean or fish or both :confused::D No, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Interesting guardian article on the movement in California to have foods labelled as containing GM if they contain GM ingredients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

Yes Yes fcuking yes.

I can't fcuking stand those fcuking tree hugging fcuking cnuts who harp on about it being a bad fcuking thing when they have no fcuking idea what the fcuk whole fcuking thing is about. Fcuking tree hugging fcuking cnuts.

Yes Yes fcuking yes.

I can't fcuking stand those fcuking tree hugging fcuking cnuts who harp on about it being a bad fcuking thing when they have no fcuking idea what the fcuk whole fcuking thing is about. Fcuking tree hugging fcuking cnuts.

Is a cnut a genetically modified nut?

Yes Yes fcuking yes.

Great way to add to the conversation dude, do you have anything constructive to add or are you just gonna mouth off? Do you even have any idea what it is that we are discussing? Ohhh, and i am one of these tree huggers you are talking of and proud to be one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

Yes Yes fcuking yes.

which part exactly don't said fcuking tree huggers not fcuking understand?

would it be the part about using dangerous viruses like e-coli to break down and invade the cells of crops, or using antibiotic gene markers? or would it be about the blatant political corruption, the patenting of organic life, or the fact that it's never been officially FDA tested or approved? or how about the ecological aspects of completely wiping out sub species which depend on said crops to survive and promote a healthy biosphere? maybe it's the ecological ramifications that have yet to be seen? or maybe it's just the simple fact that we're messing with our foodchain that took nature millions if not billions of years to evolve to its current state.. or could it be just the health defects that affect those who eat it? it could hardly be the fact that growing GMO crops actually yields less crops in the end.. and hands our single most precious commodity over to corporations on a silver platter. could it?

• Advertisement

Ha, you're one to talk about adding greatly to the conversation... After your little rant dispersed with f**k about 20 times you really lost all credibility in terms of contributing to conversation...

Maybe go hug a tree. Might make you feel better :) Anger management classes or a valium may be the better option in your case though :D

I think your confusing me with someone else

Advertisement